Was Domino Theory really that far off the mark, in retrospect? Even if Vietnam eventually fell...

Was Domino Theory really that far off the mark, in retrospect? Even if Vietnam eventually fell, it seems like the war bought time for a lot of peripheral noncommunist regimes to stabilize. Meanwhile Communist Vietnam started invading neighbors as soon as it finished absorbing the RVN, which suggests they would have started doing so earlier without US presence.

critics of the domino are retarded revisionists as usual. I've also generally thought the idea had credence

It's bullshit in Vietnam at least because Vietnam was just playing the 2 Communist powers to get support against the French.

You can pre-empt the domino in the first place by pressuring France to give up Vietname, and steal the thunder from the Communists by letting the Catholics claim credit for earning Vietnamese independence, then undermine the Commies even further by performing land reforms.

That's literally it, you don't need to fight the Commies head on, you destroy their popular support by conducting land reform and abolishing serfdom without all the crazy commie shit.

>Was Domino Theory really that far off the mark, in retrospect
Yes. First off, most Communist nations, (with the notable exception of Korea) were not invaded externally and forced into communism. They were internal revolts that were supported from places like Moscow and Beijing. Whether or not Vietnam falls easily, falls slowly, or never falls at all isn't going to stop them from sending support to various guerilla movements, which (shocker) did get outside backing even during the Vietnam war.

>Meanwhile Communist Vietnam started invading neighbors as soon as it finished absorbing the RVN,
Aside from (communist) Cambodia, who exactly did Vietnam invade? And hell, Cambodia primarily went red because of the huge destabilizing effects that American efforts to interrupt the Ho Chi Minh Trail had on Khmer Republic, something that probably would have turned out very differently without the Vietnam war.

>Advocate land reform in SEAsia.
>Landed elites: OMG THAT GUY IS A COMMUNIST.
>Get arrested.

This is why to this day, SEAsian farmers are still fucking peasants.

I mean, the west advocating for land reform while they still had Colonial powers.

Yeah, wonder how they fucked the objectively superior yank army in the ass, being retarded farmers and all. Really makes you think.

DOMINO ALWAS LEADS TO WALLPOLE

DOMINOES I'VE COME TO BARGAIN

IF CHARLES WAS THE PRESIDENT OF US COMMUNISTS WOULD HAVE LOST DESU

It is an odd name for a real thing. They're saying that if one falls, all will fall, like it's an internal thing. They're acting like if they lose once, others will fight them, since it's an American thing.

is this meme tier spam or do you actually like extrahistory

OF COURSE WE DO, NOW LET'S TALK ABOUT WALPOLE AND HIS HILARIOUS SHENANIGANS

why would anyone not like extrahistory? Books go into too much detail about this stuff, extra history takes whats intresting, and what affects us today and puts an intresting, good for eye artistic animation.

Domino theory was fundamentally sound. Look at fascism in Europe between the wars.

>Domino theory was fundamentally sound. Look at fascism in Europe between the wars.

You're acting like the western world was some innocent victim that got "duped" into fascism when those currents of thought had been present in the majority of the population for more than a century.

Americans have the terrible habit of falling into the "Monolithic *______* Conspiracy" trap whenever they encounter someone that doesn't immediately fall to their knees in their presence.

Domino Theory is mostly an Australian shitpost everyone took way too seriously. The Australian government heavily lobbied the US to go into Vietnam so Indonesia would pull its head in, and somehow this worked

>Doing land reforms
>In SEA during the Cold War
You bet your ass you’d be sniped by the CIA the moment you tried that

The US literally spent more than a billion dollars buying huge amounts of land from rich landowners in South Vietnam and giving it to South Vietnamese peasants.

>Was Domino Theory really that far off the mark, in retrospect?

No, the Cold War was mostly a string of successes for Communism where many countries that weren't communists, were friendly to communist nations and many had communist insurgencies.

Communism was on a roll, until the bottom fell out.

After Mao took over China over half the population of the world became communist.

So yes, it was a big fucking deal.

>Meanwhile Communist Vietnam started invading neighbors as soon as it finished absorbing the RVN
Because khmer rouge shat on them first, if Pol Pot wasn't that stupid (invade the same Vietnam who just went to hell and back against French and American) Vietnam probably would leave him alone so they could booster their north border against Chink.
Domino theory is retarded anyway, today Vietnam is more capitalism than ever. I just hope the US won't become more communism since it would be too ironic.

I looked at the first Greater Northern War video and noticed several errors in the first minutes. I'm not going back to that cesspool, you shouldn't either. Read a book of which there are many

I think they guy is trying to get it to be a meme to hate extra by spamming it obnoxiously everywhere, I've been seeing him do it the past 2 days

>Yes. First off, most Communist nations, (with the notable exception of Korea) were not invaded externally and forced into communism
South Vietnam absolutely was invaded and "forced into Communism". The Soviet bloc learned from Korea and to a lesser extent from the Chinese Civil War that invasion -> subversion was a losing proposition (created a casus belli), so they reversed the order. Grind down allied resolve through deniable guerrilla warfare, then invade.

To the extent Domino Theory was correct, Vietnam at least demonstrated that the US would go pretty fucking far in support of an ally. Plenty of other countries probably figured that if they got that level of American support in the event of a serious crisis they would come out on top as long as they weren't as fucked up as the RVN.

Fair enough, but what I'm saying is that fascism could have been headed off earlier if the western democracies had worked to contain fascism.