Why didn't desert soldiers stick to wearing comfy loose clothes to avoid heat injury...

Why didn't desert soldiers stick to wearing comfy loose clothes to avoid heat injury? And what is all the heavy shit that contemporary ones wear? You'd think that with technology advancing, they'd be dragging less stuff around.

"Modern" militaries aren't about effectiveness, they're about how much shit can we possibly justify contracting out to companies owned by people we owe favors to. And the soldiers get stuck wearing it.

wouldnt be surprised if it had something to do with military contractors putting all this gear whore shit into the requirments just so they have an excuse to make it

I think this is a question better suited for

> You'd think that with technology advancing, they'd be dragging less stuff around.

They literally carry more than a stereotypical knight in full armor ever did back in the day. They carry significantly less if they're carrying out a raid.

But you need ammunition you need food you need mortar rounds you need a compass you need a map you need a ceramic plated suit of body armor...

>Why didn't desert soldiers stick to wearing comfy loose clothes to avoid heat injury?

Because you need protection from the sun. But the clothes Arabs wear are light enough to allow an insulating layer of air between their clothes and their skin. I can only imagine the hell of carrying anywhere from 70 - 130 pounds of gear in the sun of a shithole.

Afghanistan and Egypt are not the same climates.

If you knew how janky our outsourced clearance procedure is...

>The contractor asks three people on a list provided by the recruit. If you're not a retard, this is a mere piece of security theatre. If you're dumb enough to have a friend who tells strangers "Yeah I used to smoke fat danks with him all the time!", you're not smart enough for even military dregs to associate with
>The contractor checks credit databases for debt
>The contractor checks arrest records

For this exhausting procedure, we pay tens of thousands of dollars and in return the recruit gets a TOP SECRET.

in WW2 they had to keep warm gear handy because it's 40C in the day and 0C at night. i don't think it's a coincidence that all of the major armies of the period in that theatre ended up looking pretty similar

compare the DAK...

...with the desert rats

This

It's gotten exponentially worse since 2001, hence why the US Military has had six different uniform changes since then.

>protecting the soldier you've invested hundreds of thousands of dollars into with flame-resistant, self-extinguishing combat uniform pants chemically treated to protect against insects and insect-borne diseases, and constructed with "near-infrared compliant" fabric to reduce detectable radiation levels
>give them shorts so their balls wont sweat as much

Pick one. It's not like they're running around in polyester blends. The Marines did have to ban UnderArmor because it melts when exposed to fire, but the current ACU includes fibers that don't drip or melt while providing some level of moisture-wicking.

>the current ACU includes fibers that don't drip or melt while providing some level of moisture-wicking.

Too bad that was the only thing they got right with it.

And it still wasn't worth the $5 billion that was wasted on it. And people wonder why America's got such a massive deficit...

It was just the camo pattern they wasted money on right?

Its actually not as bad as you think it is, you carry different things depending on your role, the clothes wick away the sweat so think of nike dry fit. Really its the boots rhat are the worst, theyre comfortable but they're so fucking hot. The ceramic plates arent too heavy but arent that bad. Really sweats onky bad around the straps

Its not as bad as you think, its much much worse. Uniform fabric heavy as fuck, doesnt breathe at all. Body armor heavy and hot, then add in the elbow pads, knee pads, helmet, pack full of random shit, gloves, ifac, ammo...you get where I am going.
At least now all the vehicles HAVE to have a working AC. I remember being in a vehicle with it back in the day. Sgt the AC doesnt work in this vehicle, keep in mind it was against regs but not really followed, well soldier looks like you guys are going to be drinking alot of water to stay hydrated. FUCK THAT GUY
Its just so fucking hot and miserable I think thats why these assholes are always so angry

Protip: the advanced technology IS the extra stuff he's carrying around. The modern soldier has significantly more effective and reliable armour, communications equipment, weaponry, rations and medical supplies to allow him to do his job, compared to the other guy who has an aertex shirt, a tin hat, a tin of spam and a glorified band-aid.

>British Army wouldn't accept me for having a skin rash at age 15 where as that fat shit isn't discharged

wew

Should have seen the people coming into the US Army during the rampup after we went into Afghanistan and Iraq

>significantly smaller force demands higher standards than the largest military on Earth

Really tickles my pickle.

>Not being obese is a high standard for the US army

>when you're so hardcore you replace your right leg with a rifle just for the extra firepower

When you have a million men in your peacetime military, you can afford to be lax. When you have barely enough men to qualify as an actual army and not a defence force, you can't afford to take anyone but the best.

IEDs

>>significantly smaller force demands higher standards than the largest military on Earth
Fun fact. The British Army is 0.12% of the UK's population, the US Army is 0.14% of the US' population.

The first runs of them were also flimsy as fuck and fell apart within maybe five days of field use.

>heat injury