Dude why are we sailing along land borders like morons when we could just set off on a sixteen-thousand mile long...

>dude why are we sailing along land borders like morons when we could just set off on a sixteen-thousand mile long voyage across open seas, during which I don't expect to encounter a single island or landmass until I reach the East Indies lmao?

>takes TWO MONTHS just to get from Spain to the Bahamas
>if the Americas hadn't existed he'd only have been 1/3 finished

Was he fucking retarded?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispaniola#Post-Columbian
auburn.edu/~sayejoh/4050/s/Columbus.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Indian_Wars
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He was the ultimate chad!

He didn't expect the journey too be that long

>He didn't expect the journey too be that long
Because he was a brainlet that thought the world was half it's actual size.

Yeah
No one knew that the new world existed and there was no way to know the exact measurements of the world
For all he could know the atlantic was a vast inland sea connecting to asia

>Earth is a sphere
>we know the distance from Norway to South Africa
>for some reason we can't estimate the length of the latitudinal line

Well actually Erathosthene had already done a pretty accurate measurement of the earth's circumference a while ago, and while Colombus could have trusted it he choose to follow an other way less precise measure.

Except the greeks already accurately calculated the circumference of the earth and it was common knowledge among the nobility.

>the virgin navigator
>the chad adventurer

Who is in the wrong here?

Based Colombus

They're both wrong.
if they really want to celebrate a great man that discovered america they should celebrate Leif Erikson

>criticizing columbus from an ahistorical perspective

>No one knew that the new world existed and there was no way to know the exact measurements of the world
..except greek scientists well over a thousand years earlier the circumference of the earth, that proved to be nearly exact to the modern measurements of the earth's circumference
that was his dispute with the church prior to boating it across the atlantic, the church agreed with the greeks and columbus pulled measurements out of his ass, and the king of spain didn't give a shit as long as he got mad gold

>tfw live in vinland
very comfy yes
columbus day is a farce, the only reason it even exists is that italian-americans made an orchestrated attempt to glorify columbus and his discovery of america (which he didn't discover) in order to have a better public image
instead, SJW shit aside, he literally took advantage of natives that were extremely friendly, created a huge slave-labour industry, where his punishments and straight up bloodlust led to him killing natives nearly as fast as disease did, which was absurd
whole islands lost up to 90% of their population, with Hispaniola being the prime example of his nuttery
>Several 16th century writers estimated the 1492 population of Hispaniola at over 1 million people.[14] Twentieth-century estimates of the figure range from 60,000 to 8,000,000, but center around the 500,000 to 1,000,000 range.[14] Harsh enslavement by Spanish colonists, redirection of food supplies and labor towards the colonists, had a devastating impact on both mortality and fertility over the first quarter century.[15] Colonial administrators and Dominican and Hyeronimite priests observed that the search for gold and agrarian enslavement through the encomienda system were depressing population.[15] Demographic data from two provinces in 1514 shows a low birth rate consistent with a 3.5% annual population decline. Just 14,000 Taínos survived in 1517.
>~500k-1m down to 14k
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispaniola#Post-Columbian

>greek scientists well over a thousand years earlier the circumference of the earth
*predicted the circumference of the earth

Found the SJW

except not at all pham, the first notes taken upon arrival of Columbus's crew in the Americas was specifically talking about the friendly nature of the natives and how they can be domesticated and conquered to essentially be used as slaves
>"They... brought us parrots and balls of cotton and spears and many other things, which they exchanged for the glass beads and hawks' bells. They willingly traded everything they owned.... They were well-built, with good bodies and handsome features.... They do not bear arms, and do not know them, for I showed them a sword, they took it by the edge and cut themselves out of ignorance. They have no iron. Their spears are made of cane.... They would make fine servants.... With fifty men we could subjugate them all and make them do whatever we want."
auburn.edu/~sayejoh/4050/s/Columbus.pdf
please read that page, it's not SJW to imply that Columbus was an asshole, and the Queen of Spain (Isabella?) ended up having him jailed upon coming back to spain after she was told of what he did

Nah. Desu. We could have a Cortez day instead which would trigger a lot of people on all sides

funny how they mention the transmission of plague's during Cortez and Pizzaro's expeditions but leave out it out for Columbus

they made Columbus an admiral and governor of Hispaniola, he got jailed due to the Spanish elite who didn't want his governorship to be passed down to his son

remember this lads , Colombus did mistreat the natives but he had no choice when King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella were out shit tons of money due to this expedition, they were in full swing of the Spanish inquisition during this time as well.

Columbus would do and say anything to stay in their good graces

Read about his voyages, we all know 2nd hand history is bullshit

Actually read his voyages

>historical facts
>no!
eurangutans...

>implying most people weren't dumber than someone with a 4th grade education back then

>Colombus did mistreat the natives but he had no choice when King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella were out shit tons of money due to this expedition

>hmmm, I can either come home hat in hand to Spain and suffer some humility
>or i can set up a slave-driven economy, install draconian and absurdly twisted death sentences to deter natives fighting back or attempting to flee, and when they revolt, slaughter ten fold the amount that rebelled against slavery
wew, also
>second hand
outside of Columbus's own journals, this is as close as it gets to the reality of columbus' travels:

>"What we committed in the Indies stands out among the most unpardonable offenses ever committed against God and mankind and this trade [in Indian slaves] as one of the most unjust, evil, and cruel among them."
>"The reason the Christians have murdered on such a vast scale and killed anyone and everyone in their way is purely and simply greed"
>"The Christians seized all the maize the locals of Nicaragua had grown for themselves and their own families and, as a consequence, some twenty or thirty thousand natives died of hunger, some mothers even killing their own children and eating them"
>"Later, a large band of Christians mounted an attack on this native lord, butchering him along with vast numbers of his people and taking all the survivors into slavery, where they duly perished, so that today not a trace remains of what was previously a community with dominion over an area of some thirty leagues"
all are quotes from Bartolomé de las Casas, who arrived in the new world shortly after Columbus' arrival and had first hand experience with the treatment of the natives

I'm not denying that Columbus and the colonist went ham on the natives , but they grossly inflate the numbers

Columbus ended up getting slammed by everyone who wanted power towards the end of his career

Bartolomé de las Casas was no different , after all his written account's on the treatment of the natives landed him a title

>hmmm, I can either come home hat in hand to Spain and suffer some humility
kek. no. he would have been left to rot in a jail cell, killed off, or forced to do even more depraved shit

>all are quotes from Bartolomé de las Casas

Who directly benefitted from discrediting columbus

If he hadn't tried you wouldn't question him.
If he had tried and failed you wouldn't question him.
He tried and he succeeded and yes, he was fucking retarded, but you wouldn't ask this if he hadn't done it.

>Columbus was a good boi he dindu nuffin they all lyin

Why do whites celebrate genocide but get mad when others want to genocide them?

That's your counter argument?

Are you retarded?

>Why does johnny celebrate when he is winning but does not when he is losing

>genociding superior beings
>anybody winning
?

>genocide
>anyone winning

FTFY

I saw the word Eurangutang earlier in the thread so don't respond to him, I'm pretty sure it's the Incatard.

gee, thanks for stating the obvious...

I'll tell you what this is... It's anti-Italian discrimination

Leif Ericson is an irrelevant meme.
Literally nothing of lasting significance came from his voyages.

Wow we had the same problem here in Argentina. Replace the word "Day" with "Monument" and the headlines are the same word-by-word.

Fucking liberal revisionism, seems like a worldwide problem.

>replace superior beings
>"why do you care?"
I wonder...

His voyage didn't result in anything.

Not even him but in a case such as this where all evidence clearly points to Columbus showing such severe cruelty and greed (not to mention being rather foolish and not even admirable when morality is set aside), yes, that argument will suffice.

>did nothing of value whatsoever
Just like all Nordics

Counter-evidence to the claim that Columbus exploited and killed countless natives for reasons of greed and vanity?

Would be based desu. Columbus was brave, but ultimately he was just a lucky cunt, and his actions when he arrived were scummy. Cortes was the true genius and the real force behind colonisation, pushing beyond the islands and into the most powerful Indian empires.

>we need to whitewash history so it doesn't make people feel bad
just fuck off

It doesn't matter, he was part of history. The good things he did don't wash out the bad, and the bad things don't wash out the good.

Why is he held to a higher standard than say, Ghandi or Churchill (both did plenty of fucked up things)?

You can put a Native American remembrance day/monument besides it, you don't need to replace it.

Why does the left feel the need to create division and polarization rather than unity and progress?

>why don't we let it like it is now
Nope. People want change. People will get change.

People like you are the reason Stormfags exist

>superior beings are the reason subhumans exist
Holy cow! How is this possible!

Because trying to change a nation and its customs by shitting all over said nation and its people isn't an effective strategy.

Even if you wanted to change society along these lines, this is a poor way to do it.

>keep venerating a tyrant who murdered people from x country
>effective strategy
And you think this is part of a mastermind's plan?

>goes to the americas
>makes a settlement
>settlement doesnt work out
>leave
such a great man

>renaming a holiday with no traditions or ubiquitous celebrations beyond kids staying home from school is deleting history

>not wanting to celebrate a genocidal asshole is creating division
maybe if righties and white people could control their reactionary emotions

>righties
>white people
>reactionary

>only one group is capable of being reactionary

are you gonna bring up Hillary Clinton next?

Fucking brainlets itt.

There was no way of knowing the distribution of landmass just from knowing the size of the Earth's circumference. Columbus thought Asia was much bigger than it was, thus making him believe the world ocean was much smaller than commonly thought. There was no way of making sure who was in the right short of actually going there and taking accurate measurements himself, since any measurements by previous explorers were as reliable as their maps (i.e., good enough for the time but we can easily tell that they were lacking).

It made economical sense to try the voyage, at least to him and the people backing him, so he did it and struck accidental gold. Or silver.

>(which he didn't discover)
What a fucking retard.

Go ahead and tell me how Columbus didn't discover the new world.

>muh natives
>muh nordics
Amazing how both of these "discoveries" didn't change anything back in the old world. Almost feels like someone would have to do it all over again.

>all evidence
The only "evidence" is de las Casas's testimony.

If you factor in disease spread, native depopulation is actually lower than projected. And the so called "enslavement" is just what serfs went through back in Europe. Natives were literally made Imperial citizens and protected by the crown. There were isolated instances of governors ignoring the law, but that's just what happens when you're in mad max world.

You're every bit as bad as stormfags.

How come they don't celebrate me man :(

>eurangutans are discoverers
>actually Incas crossed the Pacific Ocean, were literally conquering an entire subcontinent, and the coastal people were trading through the Pacific Ocean and all of this when they were in their early bronze ag-
>no! eurangutans are more developed!
>actually Amerindians had a superior development rate, look at the dates wh-
>no! then why was their army so weak
>Actually most battles were fought and won by the civilizations. The disease epidemics problem was the main factor, as the conquistadors just had to wait for the diseases to kill most of them over tim-
>no! how are their bodies so weak, they all died by a simple disease
>Actually there were 20+ diseases and all of them killed 90% overall, meanwhile europe had to die almost the same in the paleolithic just to get immunity to those diseases, also they got wiped out 40% just by bubonic plagu-
>no! you got conquered deal with it
>So you support european replacement?
Hmm...

>t. Someone who read 1491 uncritically

Eurangutan is honestly pretty funny. Best shitposting term since the Turks all left

>reading 1491
>not knowing the consensus

He was an idiot, and a lucky one. Without North/South America he would have just sailed until he ran out of supplies and died.

Im gonna be honest.

I root for whoever has the more aesthetic equipment and conquistadors are undeniably Veeky Forums as fuck. Cant hate on a trained killer if he looks good doing it

can you even blame the native women for choosing this stud over their own?

Are you gay?

>Haiti
>8,000,000 people in 1492

Why do liberals always vastly inflate the numbers of Amerinds living in North America? Reminds me of the claim that Europeans killed 200,000,000 Plains Indians LOL.

Just do a good deed and kill a leftist.

This makes a lot more sense than everyone involved with the voyage being retarded, so I'm inclined to believe it.

They weren't "Greek", they were Turkish.

Minoans were TURK.

1453 cCc Turkiye cCc 1453 bozkurt afraid?

>Friendly natives
Oh boy, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Those friendly natives, scalping each other and sacrificing slaves to keep the sun moving.
They're just too friendly.
What's that?
After being defeated another tribes women decided to brutally disfigure themselves so they wouldn't be raped?
Wow, how rude declining our friendly gifts!

>muh Italians
You already got BTFO yesterday

This is part of the problem with heterogeneous nations. Obviously Columbus was a hero to Whites, he helped secure possession of North America for us, but I can also understand why actual Amerindians dislike him (note I used the term Amerindian, not part-time Aztec LARPer and welfare recipient, so I don't mean """"Latinos""""" thx).

I think we should just accept that not everyone will celebrate him, but to others he is a hero. Certainly Genghis Khan was a scourge to my civilization, the guy was a fucking chink bastard orders of magnitude worse than Columbus. But to Mongorians he was a hero and a God of sorts. Either way, I'm not going to demand Mongorians stop celebrating him.

It's pretty simple actually. America belongs to Amerindians the same as europe belongs to europeans. How is this hard to get?

Nope. It's more like the eurangutan made thousands of subhumans to enter America and replace superior beings. Letting subhumans replace superior beings is objectively bad, as it's a tragedy by itself. How is this even a question?

Hi my chinless subhuman friend.

Moved on from the bl*ck shitposting have we?

Not everyone is the same person. I think your ""brain"" just can't deal with more info, for today. Go back to the woods, subhuman.

>Has a twitter account for the purposes of posting reblogging memes all day
>calling anyone subhuman

I'd tell you to go back to the Steppes, but you're probably some 90% genetically Greek specimen who gets laughed at by Russian Tatars when you start ranting about the necessity of Turan LMAO

cCc TURKIYEEEEEEEE cCc

>some turk uses my creation
Amerindian superiority is self-evident. Deal with it, chimpo.

Holy shit is this wannabe ponynigger the same shitposter?

>M...Muh Oghuz heritage!

Your ancestors were cucked so hard they actually started to believe they were chinks LMAO.

Yes.

So you agree with Amerindian superiority? Great for you.

the mestizo poopskins

>celebrating subhuman arrival to America
>not wrong
?

Eratosthenes was a book lover, why listen to him.

no one is celebrating siberian arrival day tho

>proto-amerindians being inferior to eurangutans
Wrong.

Actually we DO have Leif Erikson Day, most people just have no idea it was yesterday.

you didn't need the meme arrow.

What I don't get is why we have Columbus Day in America when he never even set foot here.

So you agree with Amerindian superiority? Great for you.

HINGA DINGA DURGEN

i agree that shitskins are losers.

Wrong. Amerindians won most battles. eurangutans couldn't even scratch them without their subhuman pestilence.

Try again.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Indian_Wars

totally

>less than 10% of total amerindians
>meanwhile Incas BTFOing eurangutans on most battles
Amerindian superiority is a historical fact. Get over it, subhuman.

>shitskins get completely, utterly btfo in every way
>n-n-no ;(((
cry about it fecal complexioned loser.

>denies historical consensus
Try again with some facts, subhuman. Inca militar omnipotent force was superior, only the pestilence brought from eurangutanlan fucked them over time.

Amerindian superiority is evident by itself. Is this that hard to get for chimps?

Turks have occupied Asia Minor for less than 800 years. Minoans were Greek. Biological and archaeological evidence is clear.

Also Turks suck fuck you smelly roaches