Why didn't vikings ever colonize America? They made frequent trips to the country...

Why didn't vikings ever colonize America? They made frequent trips to the country, but never decided to permanently live there.

Can you imagine what America would be like if it was taken by Nords and Scandinavians before the British got their grubby little hands on it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/HgGRsBOj-y8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They feared the native warrior

Vikings literally would rape the natives though

I think it was way too far to colonize and not enough men to do it, when you could just plunder coastal european lands for far less effort.

Colonization would require the Vikings living off the land, but this was not easy at all. The English colonists of Jamestown nearly starved to death had it not been for the Indians to trade with them and show them how to grow crops.

>They made frequent trips to the country
There was no country on the continent. It was just a bunch of savage tribes running around trying to kill deer with stone hatchets

>250.000 people in Norway
>Around 50-80.000 move to Iceland
>Of those around 4-5.000 move to Greenland
>Of those around 120 men move to Vínland
>120 men versus millions of savages

It's simple math, the farther the Vikings extended the less arable land they found. Without a massive central government effort to colonize, something impossible with all of the colonies already set up by Vikings at the time, there was no opportunity to take Vínland.

>One group of Europeans is noticeably less evil and greedy than another
No.

Colonizers had the backing of states, the vikings had no such thing.

They wouldn't get any knowledge from the Renaissance

>50-80.000 move to Iceland

It was a few hundred.

>subhuman a reaching America instead of subhuman b
Hmm...

>Nordics and British
>subhumans
I wonder who is behind this post

Thise lands were mostly worthless at the time, they had easier places closer. Everyone and their mothers knew about America, the greeks probably went there at some point. The portuguese were fishing cod in Newfoundland before Columbus landed in the caribbean. It was just too far away with little gain for people to care.

An expensive and costly process. Those countries didn't have the funds. Also, the native americans got rather pissed at them when the norse gave them a gift of milk and it turned out all the native americans were lactose intolerant.

they did

Really?

they never made it to america, their ships weren't advanced enough, they only managed to sail to neighboring countries

>Why didn't vikings ever colonize America?

Newfoundland wasn’t climatically any better the Iceland or Greenland yet it was much father away and on top of that, it had Indians.

Though if only the Vikings had sailed a bit further south to say, Long Island, things probably would have turned out much differently.

Canadian Shield is an obstacle. Bunch of swamp and bedrock, not fun desu.

>the greeks probably went there at some point.
Somehow I doubt that, medditerranean peoples didn't like leaving their peaceful lake because the atlantic was insanely rough by comparison

More like the phoenicians didn't let them.

man really fuck off

All they ever found was Canada, and it was just as cold and inhospitable as Greenland.

To get there, you had to go from home, take a ship to another land (England), then take another ship to an even shittier land (Iceland) and then take a ship to a barely hospitable hellhole (Greenland) and finally yet another ship to an even still worse hellhole (Northern Canada).

Hell, even in the modern day we've barely colonized Northern Canada. What was the Viking's motivation to bother?

>one group of humans is noticeably less evil and greedy than another
No. But some have better means of fufilling it.

>Same name

I believe he forgot to get rid of his name before answering himself.

idk why you just don't get a trip if it bothers you that much

Vikings got BTFO by natives

Pretty much. There were what, a couple hundred of them at most? In a foreign land, full of foreign plants and animals, cold as fuck, and full of people who know the area and want you gone. The odds were against them.

people think you are me, you low life

too bad you're too retarted to know how to use a trip

Jamestown colonists almost starved to death because they were morons who spent all their time looking for treasures.

What would be the point? Mexico got colonized because it was full of gold and silver. Caribbean got colonized because you could grow sugarcane all over the place. Future US Southeast was a proverbial goldmine for cotton and tobacco. But there was jack shit in the north, just some furs and a bunch of savages wanting to kill you when you didn't even have firearms yet, it would be pointless to establish colonies there.

The part of america they discovered didnt offer anything more valuable than what they already had at home. It was just as cold.
Had they explored until they reached Quebec or new england, the drive to colonize would have been better.

Cortes and Pizarro conquered empires with less

Didnt they have like, guns and a fuckton of angry natives on their side

>muzzleloaders
>effective

I mean yeah, if you use it to blow someone away in front of a group of people who have never seen something like that before.

youtu.be/HgGRsBOj-y8

>a fuckton of angry natives on their side

Major reason why they won, enemy of my enemy is my friend and all that

I do not want to use a trip

He's right you should use a trip

People can filter me

I suck cock.