Historical novels, manga (and other general media)

>Japan:
>Makes historical manga about western history lovingly and with respect
>US/Western world:
>Cannot make historical comics (99% of output is capeshit) and the historical comics they do make either have nauseatingly forced divershitty or are about blacks

What gives?

Also general historical media thread (novels, TV shows etc).

France actually produces a great deal of quality historical comics. They also have an alternate history series called "Jour-J";
The only problem is that each comic costs 15€.

Looks awesome. Do they have any pre-19th century stuff?

My favorite is "Cette Machine Tue les Fascistes" (This machine kills fascist), which is the story of... A tank.
It is the story of a JS-1 Tank that is baptisted as such by its worker, who earned the priviledge of writing something on his 500th tank built. We see this tank's history as it fights in the last days of the german Reich, then serves under the USSR's oppression, until it finishes its life on the hills of Afghanistan.

Too much party politics in Western Media. I doubt they would be able to make something like LOGH or Kingdom without filling it with modern day politics.

What's "Kingdom"?

A manga about the Qin Unification of China.

About the unification of China

It's very Dynasty warriors esque and suffers from barrel torsos but that's how the artists portrays significance and stature in military men

It's also probably not 1000% historically accurate as you'd like

I'm not really that interested in non-european history but that's a personal preference.

The Qin conquest is an interesting period.

Since no one is posting, I'm going to continue giving great historical french comics.
This one is from the first issue of "Champ d'Honneur". This series follows the story of 5 great battles that forged the french identity.
- Valmy (Birth of the french republic)
- Castillon (Unification of the french provinces under one country)
- Bérézina (The end of the Empire ; This issue was the more poignant for me, as the main character wasn't one of Napoléon's soldiers, but an exiled nobleman seeking for the king to come back on the throne)
- Camerone (The legend of the french foreign legion ; Can you be french when you're not born in France ?)
- Dunkerque (The last stand of the french army)

This one is called "l'homme de l'année" (The man of the year). Each issues follows the story of an anonymous person of History, which is a way to describe the way of life of people from the past.
There's for exemple "The man who killed Che Guevara", which follows the story of a young soldiers incorporated in Bolivia's army, "the man who burned down London", which follows the story of a poor baker in 1666, or "The Unknown Soldier", which follows the story of a young african soldiers which finds himself fighting for the french army in WW1.

iirc, jour-j is a series about alternative takes on France history so you'll have mostly 19-20th century stuff, but I think there are also middle-ages and modern period takes.
Joan of arc and maybe Henry IV and Louis XIV would be obvious ones.

I download a lot of J Jour, but cannot read any. I cannot read any!

It's not so simple. While USA produces low number of quality historical comics, you can find real jewels in Europe. Still, Japanese comic industry is most advanced, and so it produces best positions.
Sounds interesting, are there English editions of these comics?

Comics are a smaller business in the US and Europe than they are in Japan.

Bring it to /co/ or /tv/, this isn't history.

What tragedy.

Bump

I also can't read it because the translators use the Japanese names for Chinese figures/characters and it triggers me enough to make me not want to bother.

If you don't mind the countries being fictional I'd recommend Gunka no Baltzar. It's a military/political series set in mid-1800s Europe about an officer in not-Prussia around the lead up period of what would be German unification. All of the states are fictional counterparts to real world states of the time but there's zero fantasy elements or anything like that, just good military/political stuff.

Probably the most fantastic element is [spoiler]the reverse trap in the military academy's cavalry[/spoiler] and even that isn't too unbelievable.

I finished pic related recently, it was pretty good.

Jacques Tardi's It Was the War of the Trenches is also worth reading.

Forgot to mention Age of Bronze, which would also be worth checking out if you liked Historie.

Nip comics detailing historical events are either incredibly researched and detailed or they're just terrible horseshit involving mary sues or some shit. Then again media has that problem.

I really out to get more into Franco-Belgian comics.

Is the french industry really as big, widespread, and accepted as that in Japan?

I just love the fact that when i get some manga, there's that immediately palpable feeling that it came from the heart of ONE PERSON.

A Brides Story.

The 'Nam. It's an American comic about the Vietnam war that started 20 years after the war itself started and, unusually for American comics, progressed at more or less real-time.

Is there anywhere I can find this for free online? The sample on Amazon looked pretty neat, but I don't want to commit to a 6 book series before I know whether or not it's as good as I hope it is.

GetComics