Why does everyone shit on Byzantines?

Why does everyone shit on Byzantines?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=180YLV4b5Nw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

are wh*Te subhumans still butthurt about the fact that we destroyed their meme empire? don't worry, we will destroy your wh*Te countries too. but this time with our BLACK and muslim brothers.

And the answer is: Byzantine Empire is a mirror from the past for Europeans. Hence Europeans hate it because Byzantines remind him the truth: wh*Tes will lose. Remember the fate of Byzantines. They oppressed non wh*Tes, and non wh*Tes fought back, till the oppressor lost.

They had some pretty inept rulers in the 13th and 14th centuries. I know that the 4th Crusade fucked them over, but... still.

remind them*

Angry Germ*ns and T*rks

>Byzantine Empire is a mirror from the past for Europeans.
But germanics and slav are in no way related to them

i see these everywhere everyday, we get it your little empire managed to project power in eastern europe and killed a lot of orthodox christians, but you it too hordes of you to stand a chance and by the end of the ottoman empire millions of turks had been killed in eastern europe, and hundreds of thousands turks were killed in the mediterranean operations by catholics

because they were a huge let-down compared to the Classical period.

*it took hordes of you to stand a chance

greeks aren't white, turks are whiter than greeks are.

turks are quasi-mongoloids unless they're descendant of slaves from balkans or caucasus

>this is what a wh*Te subhuman believes
cute subhuman

>probably half this thread is the same retarded T*rk larping as a namefagging shitskin and then taking it off

Bullshit. Holding on against virtually impossible odds against countless enemies is far more impressive than facing off against a bunch of tiny tribes.

Because Byzaboos are annoying retards, treating their pseudo-rome as some great empire with real successes.

Not that user but historically after Justinian, almost the entirety of Byzantine/Eastern Roman history is basically continously losing wars, territory and gradually shrinking fighting the Arabs, Turks, Mongols, Turks again, and the final twilight days.

>almost the entirety of Byzantine/Eastern Roman history is basically continously losing wars, territory and gradually shrinking fighting the Arabs, Turks, Mongols, Turks again, and the final twilight days.

A thousand years.

One.

Thousand.

Years.

the conquest of africa and italy by the byzantines was more impressive than anything turks every did though

Yes. A thousands years of getting raped by shitskins. LOL.

You realise that "lasting a thousand" and "getting raped by shitskins" are mutually exclusive, right?

Based BLACK TURK

We will DARKen the skies my friend with our BBCs

>You realise that "lasting a thousand" and "getting raped by shitskins" are mutually exclusive, right?
Not really. They were slowly getting raped until the shitskins got bored and decided to destroy this abomination LARPing as "Roman" "Empire".

the ottomans/turks wouldn't have done so well if it wasn't for their european combat engineers

>Such super-sized bombards had been employed in Western European siege warfare since the beginning of the 15th century.[5] According to Schmidtchen, they were introduced to the Ottoman army in 1453 by the gun founder Orban (from Brassó, Kingdom of Hungary) on the occasion of the Siege of Constantinople

>In the ruins, the Spanish found cannonballs with the French Fleur-de-lys mark, evidence of the contacts stemming from the Franco-Ottoman alliance.

turks needed whites to expand

>who is Heraclius
>who is Constantine V
>who is Nicephorous Phocas
>who is john Tzimiskes
>who is Basil II
>who are the Komnenoi

Your knowledge of the history of the Eastern Mediterranean in the Middle Ages seems incredibly sparse from where i'm standing.

In 674 AD the shitskins were on the cusp of conquering the city. By the 1000s the Arabs had been conquered and the Byzantines survived them. A century and a half later the Byzantines were still standing. See pic related.

It was the Crusaders that fucked Byzantium beyond repair, and even then they managed to come back from it to some extent, holding on for another 2 and a half centuries in a diminished state.

Essentially, you're wrong.

So what if they were falling slowly. They still lost the most of MENA to some desert shitskins riding on horses. "Roman" "Empire", lol.
>It was the Crusaders that fucked Byzantium beyond repair
Yes, the Venetian merchants and their crusaders had fun in constantinople too. It's just an another proof that larpy-rome was weak.

>losing a battle makes you not roman anymore

>losing a battle makes you not roman anymore
Not really, but speaking greek, having greek culture, leaving the ROMAN catholic church, and having art which is thousand times worse than the art of the actual Rome - yes.

Greek language and culture were in vogue for most of the classical empire and the formal split from the pope didn't happen until 1054.
So is that when they stopped being the Roman Empire?

I really don't think it's their fault they sucked in general. They had some good periods, though.
>Get fukt by fall of WRE
>Get fukt by bubonic plague
>Get fukt by Lombards after plague
>get fukt by Arabic Muslims
>Get fukt by Bulgarians
>Get fukt by Normans
All within a 400 year period. Then:
>Get fukt by Turks
>Get fukt by inner turmoil
>Get fukt by Enrico Dandolo
I'm surprised they did so well with all the shit that got thrown at them.

Lol

Nice try.

I'll address these and explain why you're an idiot.

>but speaking gre-

The entire eastern part of the Empire had Greek as its lingua franca. Only a tiny minority of people east of Dalmatia had ever spoken Latin besides learning it for military purposes or government positions. Knowing Latin had nothing to do with Romanitas, and was never considered as such even by classical period Romans. They had always seen Greek as more prestigious a language anyway.

>having greek culture

Bullshit. "Byzantine" culture and the culture of the Late Antiquity Roman Empire are virtually indistinguishable. No. They are indistinguishable. A 10th century nobleman in Constantinople was far closer to a 4th century aristocrat in Roman Lugdunum than they were to a 3rd century BC Greek. You're talking a load of bollocks.

>leaving the ROMAN catholic church

The Catholic Church was hijacked by the Papacy from its original station. Looking at it from an actual Roman perspective, the Catholic Church is the heretical aberration. The Pope was never supposed to have any serious power, and was supposed to be appointed by the Roman emperor. The Italian Popes got greedy and turned away from their legal masters.

>having art which is thousand times worse than the art of the actual Rome

But that's wrong. Byzantine art is heavily stylised, and primarily focused on religious imagery. If you've never been to Greece and seen Byzantine icons, church doors, seen the Hagia Sophia or basically done anything that involves seeing any of this stuff personally, then you're not in a position to know shit.

The Empire should have fallen like, ten times before 1204. The fact that they not only didn't, but continued being the most powerful state in Europe for half a millennium, is really effing miraculous.

At one point they had Arabs on one side of Constantinople and Avars on the other. The fact that they came back from that is astounding. You can see why they thought of themselves as God's chosen.

youtube.com/watch?v=180YLV4b5Nw

What does Darkwing Duck have to do with the 717 Siege of Constantinople?

This. Crusaders and Venetians were the ones that first killed byzantins empire. Europeana. Rag heads killed something already dead, they were always to weak

>Greek language and culture were in vogue for most of the classical empire
Wrong, the Latin language is a true language of the Romans. Byzantines were LARPers.
>Knowing Latin had nothing to do with Romanitas, and was never considered as such even by classical period Romans.
WE WUZ ROMANS AND SHIEEET
>Bullshit. "Byzantine" culture and the culture of the Late Antiquity Roman Empire are virtually indistinguishable.
Lol no. They were greek larpers, who believed in their shitty greek orthodoxy and spoke greek language, but still LARPed as romans even if the Western Europe was laughing at them.
>Looking at it from an actual Roman perspective, the Catholic Church is the heretical aberration.
Wrong again. The Catholic Church is the true church of the Christ, and the most Roman thing that can be.
>But that's wrong. Byzantine art is heavily stylised, and primarily focused on religious imagery
byzantine greek art is fucking shit compared to actual roman art.

Pic rel is an actual Roman art from like ~50 AD, and it's still better than the most of larpy-roman "art", especially their awful looking icons.

When the chips were down Darkwing Duck would say the catchphrase and fight back hard.

OK I see now that I wasted my time by responding unironically to your original post.

I recommend going back to your home board.

It was Avars and Persians, not Arabs.

But yeah. My favorite bits while reading Byzantine history were always imagining the latest would-be conqueror sweeping their armies aside, crushing all opposition, reaching the walls of Constantinople and thinking "Fuck, now what?"

At least it's obvious you're baiting now

>It was Avars and Persians, not Arabs.

Shit. Well that illustrates the point I suppose. Constantinople got sieged so many times that it beggars belief. A less centralised state would have fallen apart in such circumstances.

>reaching the walls of Constantinople and thinking "Fuck, now what?"

I've seen the Theodosian Walls myself. Even in their post-Turk dilapidation and outright vandalism they are just absurd. That anyone could take them without cannons and years of sieging must have seemed an impossibility. They were built in 1500 years ago for christ's sake.

They don't. In real life Byzantium is the cool choice for professors who want to seem like they didn't waste their history degree.

99.9% of the Byzantine memeing on Veeky Forums originates from grand strategy games, where Byzantium was chronically overrated as an "achievement-unto-itself" because it starts off in EU3/4 with an enclave. So retards started to spam their giant blurple empires without hindrance and other retards, not knowing any legitimate way to stop it, turned to reactionary shitposting because it's funnier that way (they tell themselves).

End result is everyone just memes about Byzantium's borders on a map because that's all they know from their grand strategy sessions because grand strategy games are garbage for actually teaching any history.

>Wrong, the Latin language is a true language of the Romans. Byzantines were LARPers.

Nope, that's Etruscan. Latins were LARPers.

>WE WUZ ROMANS AND SHIEEET

WE WAS ETRUSCAN-TROJANS AND SHIEEEETT

>Lol no. They were greek larpers, who believed in their shitty greek orthodoxy and spoke greek language, but still LARPed as romans even if the Western Europe was laughing at them.

Lol no. They were Etruscan-Trojan-Greek LARPers who believed in shitty Eastern supremacy and shitty eastern philosophers and shitty Eastern absolutism.

>Wrong again. The Catholic Church is the true church of the Christ, and the most Roman thing that can be.

Wrong again. The Temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus is the true vessel for real Romans.

>posts a picture of a baker's scribble as evidence for "superior high antiquity art"

asshurt HRE-boos

i ain't an HREboo wh*Te boy

i hate every wh*Te subhuman empire equally.