youtube.com/watch?v=trBxPFLq__g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>film about Rome
>actors all look like Brits instead of something like tha cast of the Sopranos

>Sicilians
>Romans

Veni, vidi, vici.

>not weni, widi, wiki

Sicilians were/are a mix of central Italians and Greeks. So yes, a lot of Romans in Italy would look very much like them.

Mate they are Etruscans it's close but not quite Latin people's

>British production
>expects actors to not be British

>waiting that something good comes from hollywood

>film about Rome
>no reanimated corpses speaking classical Latin

Can you imagine Titus Pullo with an Appalachian drawl or Vorenus like a New Hampshire Yankee? Or Caesar like a Upper West Side socialite?

>Film about Rome
>Not spoken with awthentik Latin fonetiks

>American production
>still hire British actors

>Or Caesar like a Upper West Side socialite?
I think Ceasar being a homosexual was nothing but a slanderous myth, user.

Based Passion of the Christ for doing it right and having all the actors speak the languages of the time

>wanting to be accurate
>have people who historically spoke Greek speak Latin instead

Roman Soldiers would've spoken Latin. All government and military business, no matter where it was occurring, was done in Latin. Governors stationed in the Hellenized east would speak Greek either to negotiate with locals, or just in their free time.

This didn't change till after the death of Justinian.

Pilate would've used Latin but mostly as an administrative language, lingua Franca between Roman citizens in Judea was without doubt Greek. Random soldiers would speak Greek to each other.

>Film about WWII
>features Hitler screaming at the top of his lungs at his generals

How can they not include that after Der Untergang memed itself into immortality?

I always thought that trope started because Shakespeare was British so all our earliest Roman productions would’ve been done in British accents and it just stuck
But maybe I’m retarded

I can't stand WW2 films because they all use the same generic, cliche retarded music. Every single one of them. This is exactly what I mean: youtube.com/watch?v=7o9cHa-Z9K8

That may not be far from the truth. It's also because we speak English. I wouldn't mind seeing a Roman era production entirely in Latin, I certainly enjoyed kakoyannis's all Greek reenactments.

They most probably would have spoken vulgar latin.

The modern British accent postdates the American revolution. This is what Shakespeare sounded like

>m.youtube.com/watch?v=qYiYd9RcK5M

>m.youtube.com/watch?t=211s&v=gPlpphT7n9s

I meant in general though. I have no proof as it’s never interested me but in acting and television it seems that British or colonials (Zealanders, Aussies) are more likely to be cast as Roman types. I had always assumed that trope was sustained before I was born but I really am just guessing.

Because Britain is one of the few countries that still have upper class and lower class accents, whereas in the US there is no such thing as an upper class accent (there once was). So it's this way only in films about Rome, but about everything that includes some kind of aristocracy or nobility - see GoT which isn't even historical. The entire cast is British as fuck.

As an American I can barely tell the difference between a British and Australian accent, let alone regional accents in England
Also we do, southern dialect, that’s just a touchy subject
T. Southerner

>dude like what if instead of following long held theatrical conventions we get like an irish actor or some shit lmao

I think they do it because they need people who sound European but also need the English speaking American audience

Show me a modern Southerner naturally speaking with an upper class accent, I'm curious.

I meant southern accents were our lower class user

The fuck are you talking about. We still have upper class accents here in the States.

I can clearly tell the difference between the Australians and the Brits. You can definitely hear a lot more Irish tones at play in Australian accents.

>Chinese movie about the American Founding Fathers
>Played by Chinese

Do you speak with a southern accent? I'm an American who speaks standard english and I can definitely distinguish between Australian and British accents

>implying it’s not actually played by North Koreans

Chinese producers typically hire western actors to portray westerners. It's only Hollywood that goes full retard, in Hollywood movies everyone either looks like an Anglo or like a nigger.

>The fuck are you talking about. We still have upper class accents here in the States
I think he meant that our general American accent is more ubiquitous. The majority of people from lower middle class to wealthy speak it the same way.

>We still have upper class accents here in the States.
Not really, no.

Yeah but I didn't doubt that, I'm saying that America doesn't have an upper class/aristocratic accent anymore. Those pretty much died out around 1950s.

>movie about Carthage
>every actor is white

Ebonics counts

Carthaginians were Phoenician but during the Punic wars they started hiring more mercenaries from Gaul and Spain, so they probably got Whiter over time.

Yessir, probably a part of the issue I guess
O I c
I figured the typical Bostonian/New Yorker accent could be considered that but I guess they’d be lower class too

:DD

Carthaginians probably didn't look too different from modern Lebanese, who in turn look pretty similar to south Europeans. If this is white to you then so were Carthaginians.

Lebanese are 93% Canaanite. 7% more recent steppe ancestry. Not sure where that 7% came from.

>he isn't a shakespeareaboo

*Blocks your path*

youtube.com/watch?v=GM6-ZdK_Agg

Because having cockney dregs of society speaking is much better

What accent would you prefer?

Ha. I've seen a production of "Julius Caesar" done at a community theater in a small southern city.

>Frens. Romuns, cuntrymun, lind me yore eers.

English accents aren't that bad...

>greeks have english accents
>macedonians have irish and scottish accents

>. Every single one of them.
youtube.com/watch?v=kgeIINs1TrQ

H

youtube.com/watch?v=trBxPFLq__g

The historically accurate language with English subs

You'd prefer cowboys?

Lebs are diverse and can look like Arabs to Euros. And it's been proven that the more lighter features came after Roman /Greek contact with the Phoenicians.

Pic related is what Hannibal looked like.

>Aztecs have english accents

>tlaxcala have scottish accents

>Carthaginians probably didn't look too different from modern Lebanese
lol no
lebanese arent related to canaanites

Jimmy Carter had a version of an upper-class southern accent. Or google "Savannah, GA" accent. It's a very "light" feeling drawl, without the harshness of "Cleetus-speak."

>Roman /Greek contact
that is impossible because greeks and romans werent lighter than canaanites, they didnt have blonde hair and light eyes
those people in your pic are arab or whatever

after arab invasion, those lands got a lot of migration from everywhere from blacks, turkics and iranians

when you germanics will stop saying that romans and greeks were like you

You need t get out more.

>more lighter features came after Roman /Greek contact with the Phoenicians.
Greeks and Romans weren't much lighter than lebs except maybe northern Italians and a minority of greeks.

>lebanese arent related to canaanites
Lebanese and Canaanite are literally synonyms, it's the same thing. It would be like saying Britain isn't related to Albion.

That's funny because Jimmy Carter definitely isn't upper class.

You can effect a prestige accent to LARP as one of the people whose asses you are kissing. Southerners used to speak with that fucking intolerable Tidewater accent.

>minority of greeks.
but there werent such minority, all greek portraits show dark haire people and romans said germanics are different from latin people

>movie about WWI
>has scene with the Kaiser
>he's evil incarnate

Lebanon and Canaan are roughly the same thing.
Lebanese and Canaanite are not.

>Random soldiers would speak Greek to each other.
No, they literally wouldn't. At least while on duty.

proof?

>
>a minority of Northern Italians
nah. Northern Italians are pretty White. as are Northern Iberians. It's Greeks, Southern Italians and Southern Iberian that is olived skinned.

Why does that sound irish?

Yep and its always some dusky skinned, night black hair and eye, brown nipple part-arab southern med-ape who is claiming we WUZ romans

argo dude was actually of mexican descent, for example

when they're speaking english, they might as well speak proper english, not some subhuman colonial accent or worse, some fake "greek" or """roman""" accent

I love the Tidewater accent.

>Film about Rome
>No reanimated Roman zombies speaking perfect latin
feelsbadman.jpg

>film about the first great empire
>accents from the second great empire, having been founded by Aenas brother and the lost 12 tribes of Iudea

>an American who speaks standard english
Where are your capitals then, do you dot your I's and cross your T's

That's just a pair of westcountry yokels...

>actors all look like Brits instead of something like tha cast of the Sopranos

That's probably because they'll get Brits to play the parts you dingus. British actors are in everything.

I want to see a roman era film where all the actors speak like modern Americans

Daily reminder that first Roman Emperor looks like pic related

The Sopranos characters were mostly from the Napoli region if i remember correctly and the actors probably came from all over Italy

>That's probably because they'll get Brits to play the parts you dingus.
Dick fucking Tracy right here

I personally would find it worse if they spoke english with latin/italian accents

Because you're an Anglo.

Nope, i am a Nord