Russian mentality

What is the Russian mentality?
I was talking to a friend from Russia recently because he's mentioned it a few times in the past and the way he explained it is that it's a distinct way of thinking that Russians have.

The way I understand it from what he explained to me is that they wear their hearts on their sleeve (i.e kind and friendly but very aggressive if they think somebody is being wronged). He was pretty proud of it saying it's a very uniquely Russian thing in regards to Europe, especially Eastern Europe.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Yusupov
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Duke_Dmitri_Pavlovich_of_Russia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Purishkevich
youtube.com/watch?v=HE6rSljTwdU
foreignaffairs.com/articles/ukraine/2016-04-18/russias-perpetual-geopolitics
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bumkp

Read Dostoyevsky.

This.

Any specific ones?

Can you explain your question further? It's hard to get what your friend means and on what occasions he brought this up

It's in my grandmothers own words, it is very tribal yet friendly. She told me tales of how her brother would spook away some big ol' bullies from some poor drunk bloke and got him home safely and how he befriended a foreign Mongolian simply because he could speak a tiny bit Russian and whoops he was accepted into the group like family. Sure he was a lively one but I reckon that the whole pack/tribe mentality is a very Russian trait, you look out for your own because they might be all you have in the end of the day. Never got to meet him because he died in Afghanistan, only red about him was the blood pumping his heart and he didn't fight for the communists no, in his heart and mind he fought for Russia.

We were both pretty drunk so it's a little hard to remember it all but he was describing how most russians are gruff and mean at a glance but very helpful if you get to know them (even as acquaintances). It ties into them rarely smiling in public and other things.

That's beautiful and pretty similar to what he said. Did that form because of how rough Russian history is?

Dostoyevsky explains mentality of humans in general.

"The Russian mentality" is nothing more than a shitty excuse to explain how historically they have been too weak to stand up to authoritarianism and unable to build proper institutions and rule of law.

Russia is a land built on egotism, fear and envy, where people won't think twice about backstabbing or selling their loved ones if it means improving their position or saving themselves from harm. This is the reason Communists had such success in implementing their repressive apparatus where children were encouraged to spy on their parents or husbands on their wives and so on.

Ever since Rasputin issued his curse, Russia has been a tainted land, and until a Crusader Army conquers it and the Pope personally consacrates the land to the Virgin Mary it will never be free from Satan's grasp. (This was the Third Secret of Fatima)

>Rasputing
>relevant
Fuck off

More than likely it is due to the roughness of Russian history. They went through a lot and I can only see how that easily made them closer as a people. My Russian relatives didn't view the hardcore communists as Russian though, but they had alot of Tsarist bias in the line so..

I write this letter, the last letter, which will be left after me in Saint Petersburg. I have a premonition that I will die before 1 January (1917). I speak to the Russian People, to Papa [he referred to Nikholai II as Papa and Aleksandra as Mama], to Mama and Children, to all of the Russian Land, what they should know and understand. If I will be killed by ordinary people, especially by my brothers—the Russian peasants, then you, the Russian Tsar, should not worry about Your Children, —they will lead in Russia another hundred years.

But if I am murdered by the boyars and noblemen, if they spill my blood, and it stays upon their hands, then twenty five years will pass before they be able to wash my blood from their hands. They will have to flee from Russia. Brother will kill brother, everyone will kill each other and hate each other, and at the end of twenty five years, not one nobleman will be left in Russia. Tsar of the Russian Land, if You hear the ringing of the funeral bell at the death of Grigory, then know; if in my death are guilty someone of Your relatives, then I tell you, that none of Your Family, none of Your children and Relatives will live more than two years. And if they live, they will pray to God for death, for they will see the disgrace and shame of the Russian Land, the arrival of the antichrist, pestilence, poverty, desecrated temples of God, holy places spit upon, where everyone will become a corpse…Three times twenty five years will the black bandits, servants of the antichrist, destroy the people of Russia and the faith of the Orthodox (church). And the Russian Land will perish. And I perish, I have perished already, and I am no longer among the living. Pray, pray, be strong, think of Your Blessed Family.

>if I am murdered by the boyars and noblemen
Well good thing they were killed by jews instead, so prophecy refuted.

Rasputin was not killed by Jews

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Yusupov

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Duke_Dmitri_Pavlovich_of_Russia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Purishkevich

Not jews.

shoo shoo LARPer

Anyone except for the idiot. That one is just garbage.

youtube.com/watch?v=HE6rSljTwdU
Pertinent to geopolitics, at least.

Also this
foreignaffairs.com/articles/ukraine/2016-04-18/russias-perpetual-geopolitics
>Russians have always had an abiding sense of living in a providential country with a special mission—an attitude often traced to Byzantium, which Russia claims as an inheritance. In truth, most great powers have exhibited similar feelings. Both China and the United States have claimed a heavenly mandated exceptionalism, as did England and France throughout much of their histories. Germany and Japan had their exceptionalism bombed out of them. Russia’s is remarkably resilient. It has been expressed differently over time—the Third Rome, the pan-Slavic kingdom, the world headquarters of the Communist International. Today’s version involves Eurasianism, a movement launched among Russian émigrés in 1921 that imagined Russia as neither European nor Asian but a sui generis fusion.

>The sense of having a special mission has contributed to Russia’s paucity of formal alliances and reluctance to join international bodies except as an exceptional or dominant member. It furnishes Russia’s people and leaders with pride, but it also fuels resentment toward the West for supposedly underappreciating Russia’s uniqueness and importance. Thus is psychological alienation added to the institutional divergence driven by relative economic backwardness. As a result, Russian governments have generally oscillated between seeking closer ties with the West and recoiling in fury at perceived slights, with neither tendency able to prevail permanently.

Be mindful of the article's biases, though.

basically if machiavelli was bipolar and lived in a very cold place with vodka as his closest friend

Now and I kinda want to read a story like that.

the russian mentality is avoid police and really good looking cars

russian mentality
>rape
>loot
>kill
here you go

Life is a grand struggle.
Only death is final.

*Communist mentality

Thats just your brain on communism

Why are Russian always grumpy and think they are batter then everyone else? Why are they so easy to anger and harsh on their kids?
Or maybe only the Russian Jews are that way?

Don't be ridiculous.

>Why are Russian always grumpy

it's always cold

>and think they are batter then everyone else?

because they survived the winter while that one guy didnt

>Why are they so easy to anger

to keep warm

>and harsh on their kids?

kids deserve it 2bh

They are not all grumpy! My grandmother for one is one jolly Russian.

Well most cultures and people do think they are superior to the other because of their achievements.

Some of them are easy to anger, but it is the same with every type of folk.

Harsh on their kids is not something they all do, mine were but that is only because my father was raised strictly. And I am happy he was harsh on me because I turned out stronger than any brat.

Pertinent.

>My grandmother for one is one jolly Russian.

everyone's grandmother is jolly, but if they're not your grandmother then she's just another grumpy old person

Angry manlets who are quick to violence and who believes themselves to be superior to others even though their culture has been the scourge of the 20th century. Your friend is right. Very romantic stuff.

*squats slavicly*

Blatant /int/ thread. Kys.