Ghana (Modern State) Region History

So ill be studying in Ghana next semester and am very excited, particularly about the pre-colonial kingdoms in the area, the indigenous religions, and Ghanaian involvement in the slave trade/their modern perception of this past and of former slaves in the Americas. This last ones pretty hard to find info about.

I wanted to see if anyone on his was interested in the topic. Ive done some light research about the Ashanti and they seem very interesting.

Other urls found in this thread:

researchgate.net/profile/Enid_Schildkrout/publication/230530287_Royal_Treasury_Historic_House_or_Just_a_Museum_Transforming_Manhyia_Palace_Ghana_into_a_Site_of_Cultural_Tourism/links/56f05ba408ae0dcdafd6a9e5/Royal-Treasury-Historic-House-or-Just-a-Museum-Transforming-Manhyia-Palace-Ghana-into-a-Site-of-Cultural-Tourism.pdf
archive.org/details/missionfromcape00bowd
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belanda_Hitam
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwasi_Boakye
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How widespread was this kind of pre-colonial architecture? Just something royalty had or did urban spaces generally have this kind of thing?

Any good books on this era?

they're pretty interesting op, they throw the typical /pol/ meme about all african living in mud huts out the window.

they also constructed large cities, this one Kumasi being their capital.
unfortunately the British burnt most of it down including the kings palace.

here's the palace in a very European style, perhaps the Portuguese or Dutch influenced it's construction or perhaps not.

some of their original buildings still survive.

Fuck, wish I wasn't on mobile. If I wake up early tomorrow I'll post everything I can. Im Akwamu myself.

Yo awesome, if the threads dead and you want to start a new one that would be great. You live in Ghana or an immigrant?

These are cool af. Postcolonial moralism memes aside it's such a fucking shame how human culture was homogenized by colonialism

Bumping before sleep for hope of Akwamu user returning tomorrow

Alright I'm stuck at work, but I'm free in 7 hours. Want me to start with the actual history or the legendary past?

how can we spark a massive African unification war?

What u want senpai

*whatever u want

Yeah whatever ur trying to explain, i figured i'd probly get a response from a westerner who studies it if anything so more than happy to hear whatever someone whose history it is wants to tell about it

>unfortunately the British burnt most of it down
they asked for it tbqhwy

Just letting you know, I hope this thread is still up tomorrow. I love reading Africa threads by people who actually know what they're talking about.

It was common in Kumasi and in other towns as shrines, chief's compounds and some houses. Pic related shows it lining a street in Kumasi, though dilapidated. I'll post a few more examples.

Apparently this was a kind of museum or cabinet of curiosities built by the king in 1822 to store European and other gifts given to him. It was modelled on Elmina fort and built by workmen sent by the Dutch, though I'm not sure if that means there were actual Dutchmen engaged in the design/construction.

researchgate.net/profile/Enid_Schildkrout/publication/230530287_Royal_Treasury_Historic_House_or_Just_a_Museum_Transforming_Manhyia_Palace_Ghana_into_a_Site_of_Cultural_Tourism/links/56f05ba408ae0dcdafd6a9e5/Royal-Treasury-Historic-House-or-Just-a-Museum-Transforming-Manhyia-Palace-Ghana-into-a-Site-of-Cultural-Tourism.pdf

Like the majority of African history books, they're all in French

>the column is crooked
triggered

A village shrine.

Here's an account of a visit to Kumasi in 1817: archive.org/details/missionfromcape00bowd

This one's from the Ivory Coast.

interesting shingle on the roof just like the Benin palace.
it's a shame that we don't have the same about of photos and drawings of the late Benin period.

Seeing as the photo is from 1917, I'm assuming those shingles aren't original. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like they wouldn't be used on one chief's palace and not on the king's one.

Also we do have some photos from Benin, but they're kind crappy looking since they're mostly from after the city was sacked, and the city had been in decline for centuries anyway.

Bump

Their interactions with the Dutch in general are pretty interesting.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belanda_Hitam
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwasi_Boakye