What was a paladin?

What was a paladin?
Was it some kind of elite knight?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roi_fainéant
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donation_of_Constantine
mega.nz/#F!dC5TxJAY!qwjx5USKOJgy1qzwrkwMmg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Byzantine_emperors#Justinian_dynasty_.28518.E2.80.93602.29
youtube.com/watch?v=xnPHdMD2dO0&t=4s
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholae_Palatinae
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>The paladins (Latin: Palatine; "servant, or government official"), sometimes known as the Twelve Peers, were the foremost warriors of Charlemagne's court, according to the literary cycle known as the Matter of France.

Reputedly, Charlemagne grandfather Charles Martel defeated mounted saracens with footsoldiers and used the capture stirrup and horses to create the first knights

Charlemagne's buttbuddies

Charlemagne didn't exist. He was just a precedent to give Otto I the right to rule as an Emporer independent of already sitting Byzantine Roman Emporer

Paladins are legendary companions/bodyguard of Charlemagne described in some stories. They're usually the knightly ideal, powerful Christian warriors who are also virtuous. Sometimes the term is applied to the Arthurian Knights of the Round Table.

Paladin was also a medieval title used to describe various positions. Palatine is an alternative spelling, pretty much, and refered to some high-ranking court officials, often second to the king. The origin is with the Palatine guard of Roman Emperor, Palatine being the hill where the Emperor lived.

Basically royal bodyguards and D&D or whoever made an RPG class of holy warriors from them.

>It's one of those people who believes the early middle ages didn't exist

There's records of Charlemagne and the Carolingians as whole in Abbasid sources. Embassies and gifts were regularly exchanged.

We also have three hundred years of Byzantine sources. Why would they collaborate with a conspiracy which undermines their own legitimacy?

>There's records of Charlemagne and the Carolingians as whole in Abbasid sources

there are also record of prestor John being king of Abbissinia and modern "history" says he's just a myth.

that's before you consider the sheer lack of architectural/evidence of habitation development between the 6th through 9th centuries.
oh lets not foget how nany documents have turned out to be forged in the 14th century when they were claimed to be from the "dark ages"

get real, the dark ages are a result of various chronologies being blended by Scaliger to make sense of Romanism ,and even Newton questions and wrote several volumes on the subject.

The history upheld gives Germanic Chiefs the right to claim the right to imperial rulership independent of the Emporer in Byzantium same way Caesar claimed lineage from Aeneas and Venus.

Thats why theres fuck all coinage minted by these so called "do nothing kings"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roi_fainéant

Otto I needed a good reason to claim power, the pope gave him a way to do it as Pontifex Maximus since most of the record were held by the monks and Bishops since papyrus became low supply and vauable in the west after Arabs took Egypt.

>three hundred years of Byzantine sources.

source them.

because the 300 year gap is pervasive from several angles not just at charlemagne

>Why would they collaborate with a conspiracy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donation_of_Constantine

the papacy had a good reason to collaborate as they were illegitimate powers also and needed a means to claim temporal authority themselves..

Maximos Homologetes (Confessor) (c.580662)
Parastaseis syntomoi chronikai (early eighth century);
Georgios Synkellos (d. post 810)
Theophanes Homologetes (Confessor) (c.760817) Kassia (c.800/810post 843/ante 867)

But we aren't talking about the Papacy, we're talking about the Eastern Roman Empire.

I have personally excavated Pictish longhouses radiocarbon dated to the 7th-9th centuries.

mega.nz/#F!dC5TxJAY!qwjx5USKOJgy1qzwrkwMmg

PDFs of the mentioned sources.

Also worth noting is we have a full king list of Eastern Roman Emperors for the period in question, complete with numismatic evidence.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Byzantine_emperors#Justinian_dynasty_.28518.E2.80.93602.29

t. Otto the >great

they really liked killing saxons probably
maybe like the teuts but saxons instead of poles

Like knights, but with ability to cure with white magic (healing).
Not sure if magic was ever actually real though, maybe they made it up.

A type of knight. Pre-Islamic Persians also had their own concepts centuries before the concept really took hold in feudal Europe.

>The origin is with the Palatine guard of Roman Emperor, Palatine being the hill where the Emperor lived.

You are confused with the Praetorian Guard. The word Palatine does indeed have its source with the Palatine Hill in Rome, but it referred to high-ranking court officials in general.There was no such thing as a Palatine Guard in Rome until the 19th century.

DnD bullshit.

I don't get that drawing. Why would a knight armor every portion of his body except his neck, the single most vulnerable place on his body?

Constantine's reforms basically created the Legio Palatina which were an elite corps of troops

Is that the Palatine Legion, or the Palace Legion tho?

I'd assume the latter, as Constantine barely spent any time in Rome.

They were very specific to dark age/early medieval time period franks as a bunch of nobles that the king liked and trusted to do things.

They werent necessarily great warriors, but trusted to perform official palace duties.

Most of what is written about paladins nowadays is related to DND, World of warcraft and all that jazz.

They were a bunch of regular knights close to Charlemagne that the later medieval romance literature cast as holy warriors defending Europe from Islam.

Watch: youtube.com/watch?v=xnPHdMD2dO0&t=4s
He argues that the early middle ages should be separate from the rest of the middle ages because a few of the things we associate with the middle ages wasn't a thing before after 1000AD, this has created a bunch of misunderstandings about the period, and a few historians thinks the eras should be divided as well. I don't agree with this at all since I don't think he (ironically) misunderstands why we name eras the way we do. Give me your thoughts his. Should the early middle ages be changed to something else?

The late migration period

you mean the Eastern Empire based in constantinople which the Papal forces sacked and had the opportunity to write whatever they wanted in later centuries?

you guys really underestimate what sacking a city and libraries does to history.

they even had systems of altering history to fit the regimes narrative called Damnatio memoriae

It's amazing how you people think conspiracies amongst the intermarried and interelated nobles is full on impossible.

fucks sake even the british royals changed their name to windsor when it suited them in full view of everyone.

Western Crusaders did not know the classicising Greek used in Byzantine literature. Most Byzantines didn't even know it.

Even if they were able to compel someone to do it for them, why would such a person create several works, in identifiably distinct personal styles, so perfectly that no one has been capable of uncovering the deception?

Especially since, as has been established, nobody compelling this hypothetical Greek author to write a fake corpus would even be able to understand it?

ESPECIALLY especially since none of the people who were supposed to be fooled by the conspiracy could understand Greek either?

Why, furthermore, would the crusaders then waste several tonnes of gold creating 300 years of Byzantine coinage, issued in the names of imaginary emperors?

Also, why, when Byzantine control of the empire was restored, would all future emperors agree to go along with this insidious Frankish plot to undermine the legitimacy of their own Empire?

Also, your comparison with the modern British royal family makes no sense. The Windsors did not attempt to fool people into thinking they were always called that, they simply made it clear to everyone who mattered that it would be incredibly rude to mention the change.

I'm going to be charitable here, and assume you're playing devil's advocate. In which case, I'd remind you that doing so is only worthwhile if the devil you are advocating isn't also a fucking retard.

Oh, and all of this is supposedly happening nearly 250 years after Otto's death, and is carried out by the Venetians, French, and Sicilian Normans, at a time when France and Sicily is in conflict with the Holy Roman Empire for official patronage of the Papacy.

>shank two niggas at once
>shank one nigga twice
always gets me

An oldie but goodie
It's the fireknight and waterknight who get me
>fuck son
>calm down

>you just a nigga wit a garden hose

maybe it was just placed there by these treacherous people a thousand year ago though.

A paladin was just knight of the king.
Rodrigo de Vivar is the most famous historical example.

The prototype of the knight: they were said to be the first knights.

You are wrong. There was indeed Roman imperial palatine guard, named Scholae Palatinae (palatine schools), created by Constantine after disbanding the Praetorian Guard.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholae_Palatinae

there is no point having a stirrup without a solid saddle tree, which is the more important innovation, also it was introduced by steppe peoples