Gospel of Thomas?

Why isn't this in the Bible? What is it?

True sayings of Jesus or just a weird forgery?

Jesus said, "Blessed is the lion that the human being will devour so that the lion becomes human. And cursed is the human being that the lion devours; and the lion will become human."

Jesus said, "If they say to you (plur.), 'Where are you from?' say to them, 'It is from light that we have come - from the place where light, of its own accord alone, came into existence and [stood at rest]. And it has been shown forth in their image.' If they say to you, 'Is it you?' say 'We are its offspring, and we are the chosen of the living father.' If they ask you, 'What is the sign of your father within you?' say to them, 'It is movement and repose.'"
Jesus said, "Whoever drinks from my mouth will become like me; I, too, will become that person, and to that person the obscure things will be shown forth."

And he said, "Whoever finds the meaning of these sayings will not taste death."

earlychristianwritings.com/thomas/

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borborites
youtube.com/watch?v=GoAPSBMQEKU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Wicked, satanical Gnostic heresy

>Why isn't this in the Bible?
It wasn't rediscovered until the 1940s

Weird forgery from literal cumdrinkers.

This is right, but there were presumably lots of copies floating around in the first few centuries CE.

Wut? Care to elaborate on the semen drinking?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borborites

Gnostics are mentally ill.

>Trusting proto-Orthodox slander

There was no canon Christianity when the gospel of Thomas was written. It in fact a composition of oral traditions, so it is extremely hard to date, I doubt if the guy who wrote it thought he was doing something new.

Neo-Platonism was also the main trend in philosophy at the time, centered in Alexandria, and early christians had extreme difficulty before the Edict of Milan to control what was canon and what not.

What is the official Catholic and Orthodox position on the Gospel of Thomas?

It's non-canonical, so treating it like canon is expressing heresy.

The canon is canon. I for one would like Enoch 1 to be included (best bible fan fiction ever prove me wrong), but! It is what it is, nobody changes the infallible scripture (unless you're Martin Luther lol).

>book of Enoch
Why isn't canon though, they talk about it in the gospels

Canon aside, is it seen as something legitimate in it's own regard?

>the early catholic church was infallible

Because the majority of early church fathers and theologians didn't recognize it, and the definitive ecumenical councils didn't include it.

No reason it can't be an extra-canonical biblical source, as Mike Heiser argues.

Also the Ethiopian Church accepts it as canon.

The ascension of Isaiah is pretty amazing too. I consider it a precursor to Dante Alighieri's Paradiso.

stop treating all of christian dogma as a unified whole.

like any other religion, it always expresses retroactively upon itself self-consciousness when it fact, as any other dogmatic system, it is a lumbering body of heterodox concepts and beliefs which is always too slow to react to the proceedings of time.

It no longer has a strong foothold on knowledge and its holes slow increasingly.

But if you would've have actually read the Gospel of Thomas, you would've not felt the need to make this thread.

>rambles like a lunatic
Wow really made me think.

I see lots of slanders towards gnostics on Veeky Forums and most of it seems to come from what the church wrote about the gnostics. Which doesn't have why to hold true.

Since there's a few of those special christians in here, as a gnostic (and a saved perfected one at that) I will disclose what my practices have been, including the sexual practices.

1. Reading of scripture.
2. Meditation until I observed a mental image of my true spiritual self-
3. (Passive) Union with God, where God himself decides to unite with me and share his mind with me, a prett incredible experience.
4. Spiritual non phisical sex with a spiritual being during a vision.

Oh wow, so horrible practices of eating fetuses and drinking cum.

It's a text heterodox writing composed in support of a heretical teaching, Gnosticism.

Note that I am using "heretical" in a technical sense, not pejoratively.

youtube.com/watch?v=GoAPSBMQEKU

I guess it's a legitimate example of the Gnostic heresy.

WE?

>heresy
You're the heresy.

Reminder that orthodox christians were accused of eating flesh and drinking blood by their detractors. Should we trust them?

>4. Spiritual non phisical sex with a spiritual being during a vision.

I find this interesting.

I am myself not a Christian but I respect Thomas. I have had similiar experiences, it's not something I have pursued enough.

Could you care to elaborate?