French Revolutionary Wars

How did France manage to fight against all other European powers and even win in the end?
Was Napoleon just that fucking good?
Also they even continued to fucked the Coalition in the ass for 7 more years before Russian winter stopped them.
It's unbelievable and I hate to see French being memed as this shit fighting force by brainlets, when this and WW1 clearly proves that they're not

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazare_Carnot
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's only thanks to Napoleon
Their victory in WW1 is only thanks to the british

>How did France manage to fight against all other European powers and even win in the end?
Levy en mass, revolutionary fervor and meritocratic rise through ranks

>Was Napoleon just that fucking good?
Nappy was a genius, but he only became ruler by 1799
The wars on your pic were won by the Revolutionary gubmint (and although Nappy did a good job in Italy, the crucial wars in Spain, the Low Countries and West Germany were won by no nemes generals history has forgotten)

>It's only thanks to Napoleon
Napoleon was a low rank general during these wars
You're confusing with the later Napoleonic Wars

>Their victory in WW1 is only thanks to the british
Now you're trolling
Britain barely contributed in WW1
Even we Americans did more...

Because the French government put literally the entire country to fight in the war. Where in other countries at the time an army might be comprised of a couple of thousand men, France raised hundreds of thousands to take on everybody at once.

>It's only thanks to Napoleon
Good generals can only get you so far, it's the men who did all hard work
>Their victory in WW1 is only thanks to the british
alright, now you're just a troll
French did all the hard fighting while the British were too busy retreating
It was only after a big plea for help that Joffre managed to persuade British to keep fighting and send their troops for the Marne counterattack. If not for that, Eternal Anglo would just do another Dunkirk and sit out the war across the Channel behind the Royal Navy

I'm not an expert on the period, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong... but my impression is that Revolutionary France achieved a late 19th century/early 20th century style nationalist mass mobilization at a time when most of Europe was fighting with relatively small professional armies.

this
+ you gotta realize that Russia or Ottos or others didn't send their entire army to fight in far away France, they just sent small regiments

Correction... on second thought, it's probably not accurate to call it "nationalist" since much of the fervor was not initially nationalist in nature until outside attacks made it so.

>+ you gotta realize that Russia or Ottos or others didn't send their entire army to fight in far away France, they just sent small regiments

Actually, it was a total war for most nations involved
Russia (although they joined late) sent their strongest army and so did the ottomans (who were attacked on their soil by Napoleon's expedition)
Austria, the Netherlands and Spain fought an all out war on France's borders (that only ended for Austria when French troops entered Vienna).
Britain tried its weak outmost, but its small army had to dunkirk out of the continent twice
In the end, Prussia was the only major coalition nation that didn't take the war very seriously and withdrew quite early

Trying to depict these wars ass half-assed expeditions like the foreign interventions in Russia after WW1 is very dishonest
These were major wars in the same vein as the Napoleonic Wars

I was talking about the Revolutionary wars. I admit i'm not very knowledgable about the whole period, but seems like you are more talking about Napoleonic wars.

They were both extremely comparable
Same scale, same type of fighting

The only thing separating them is a brief few months long peace between France and Britain

Friendly reminder, Napoleon was the bad guy

WHY DIDN'T THE US DECLARE WOR ON BRITAIN IN 1812?!

WE COULD HAVE HELPED NAPOLEON!!!

>Marie Antoinette was guillotined at 12:15 p.m. on 16 October 1793. Her last words were "Pardon me, sir, I meant not to do it", to Henri Sanson the executioner, whose foot she had accidentally stepped on after climbing to the scaffold. Her body was thrown into an unmarked grave in the Madeleine cemetery located close by in rue d'Anjou.

The French Monarchy are the ones who helped you become indepencent you ungrateful cretin.

>When clearing Robespierre's neck, the executioner tore off the bandage that was holding his shattered jaw in place, causing Robespierre to produce an agonised scream until the fall of the blade silenced him. Together with those executed with him, he was buried in a common grave at the newly opened Errancis Cemetery (near what is now the Place Prosper-Goubaux).
sometimes, there's justice

Misleading since spain flipped sides early on.

>flipped sides
More like got invaded and got their King replaced with a French puppet, literally the brother of Napoleon, Jose Bonaparte.

Most of the Spanish Overseas Empire did not rally to him, kicking off the South American Independence Wars.

What were Louis XVI's last words?

>britain barely contributed anything.

They basically had to handle Ypres and everything else north of the Ardennes

>He delivered a short speech in which he pardoned "...those who are the cause of my death.... ". He then declared himself innocent of the crimes of which he was accused, praying that his blood would not fall back on France. Many accounts suggest Louis XVI's desire to say more, but Antoine-Joseph Santerre, a general in the National Guard, halted the speech by ordering a drum roll. The former king was then quickly beheaded.

The Virgin Monarch
>gives a shitty speech
>pardons his executors
>gets cut off then gets his head cut off
THE CHAD NATIONAL GUARD GENERAL
>cuts off stupid king's speech with a drum roll
>cuts the head off of a man from a noble and distinguished lineage; doesn't even care

I saw Robespierre at the National Assembly in Paris yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be an counter-revolutionary and bother him and ask for speeches or anything.

He said "Oh, like you're doing now?"

I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Quoi?" but he kept cutting me off and going "Chop! Chop! Chop!" and making chopping motions with his hands next to my neck. I walked away and I heard him denouncing the Girondists as I walked off. When I stood to deliver my speech, I saw him trying to walk out the chamber with like fifteen death warrants in his hands without voting on them.

The president was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Monsieur, you need to debate those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear him, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the assembly floor.

When the president took one of the death warrants and started to hold a vote, he stopped him and told him to just let Robespierre decide each individually "to prevent any monarchist infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After the Robespierre decided all the men were guilty, the president started to announce the result to the chamber, but he kept interrupting him by rambling about virtues really loudly.

heIIo reddit

Aka 1/15th of the front

the fundamental structure of all armies until then was changed
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazare_Carnot

>Danton displayed such vehemence before the revolutionary tribunal that his enemies feared he would gain the crowd's favor. The Convention, in one of its "worst fits of cowardice" (1911 Britannica), assented to a proposal made by Saint-Just that, if a prisoner showed want of respect for justice, the tribunal might pronounce sentence without further delay. Danton was at once condemned, and led, in company with fourteen others, including Camille Desmoulins, to the guillotine. "I leave it all in a frightful welter," he said; "not a man of them has an idea of government. Robespierre will follow me; he is dragged down by me. Ah, better be a poor fisherman than meddle with the government of men!" Danton's (who was quite ugly) last words were addressed to his executioner. He said to him: "Don't forget to show my head to the people. It's well worth seeing."

An actually funny version of this pasta? What has the world come to...

Chad Danton vs Virgin Robespierre?

SA Independence is more because the provisional authorities that formed in Spain didn't give them respect nor notice at all. The colonies probably would have been fine staying loyal to the ousted crown if they weren't treated like 2nd class citizens and barred from a rightful government assembly because 'lol colonials'.

>TÍTULO I: De la Nación española y de los españoles
>CAPÍTULO I: De la Nación Española
Art. 1. La Nación española es la reunión de todos los españoles de ambos hemisferios.

>TÍTULO II: Del territorio de las Españas, su religión y Gobierno y de los ciudadanos españoles
>CAPÍTULO II: De los españoles

Art. 5. Son españoles:
Primero. Todos los hombres libres nacidos y avecindados en los dominios de las Españas, y los hijos de éstos.

>CAPÍTULO I: Del territorio de las Españas

Art.10. El territorio español comprende en la Península con sus posesiones e islas adyacentes, (...) las islas Baleares y las Canarias con las demás posesiones de Africa. En la América septentrional, Nueva España, con la Nueva Galicia y península del Yucatán, Guatemala, provincias internas de Occidente, isla de Cuba, con las dos Floridas, la parte española de Santo Domingo, y la isla de Puerto Rico, con las demás adyacentes a éstas y el Continente en uno y otro mar. En la América meridional, la Nueva Granada, Venezuela, el Perú, Chile, provincias del Río de la Plata, y todas las islas adyacentes en el mar Pacífico y en el Atlántico. En el Asia, las islas Filipinas y las que dependen de su gobierno.

>CAPÍTULO IV: De los ciudadanos españoles

Art. 18. Son ciudadanos aquellos españoles que por ambas líneas traen su origen de los dominios españoles de ambos hemisferios y están avecindados en cualquier pueblo de los mismos dominios.

>TÍTULO III: De las Cortes
>CAPÍTULO I: Del modo de formarse las Cortes
Art. 28. La base para la representación nacional es la misma en ambos hemisferios.

they had a bit of luck early on with the austrians and prussian dropping out to partition poland in the early mid 1790s

Wrong, tard
Only the Prussians left early (and by "early" I mean three years within the war)
Austrians were totally dedicated (they were pretty much France's main enemy) and remained so until the French were within reach of Vienna by 1800

>sometimes, there's justice
Robespierre did literally nothing wrong though, he was just a scapegoat by the rest of the committee.

>Napoleon was a low rank general during these wars
He was literally the highest ranking General below the Alps.