Historical opinion "Pendulum" effect?

Has anybody noticed what I like to call a "pendulum effect" in opinion?

When inaccurate historical opinions change, they swing too far the other way, once again into the realm of inaccuracy.

For example:

>10 years ago: Katanas are the best swords ever! Folded a million times. Way better than European swords.

>Now: Katanas have no redeemable qualities and will literally bend or break when any pressure is applied at all.

>10 years ago: Plate armor was heavy as hell and soldiers could hardly move in it.

>Now: All examples of plate armor are light as a feather. Plate armor had no impact on mobility. Historical soldiers were supermen.

(Most examples of this are with martial history, but I could think of others as well).

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camulodunum
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Like with WW1? Wow it's almost like reactionaries have no logic, and history should be left to people that seriously studied it

When people get disillusioned about myths they often swing the other way. Compound to that they never studied these weapons or armor in an academic setting or even read an academic style book on them and they just use what they heard somewhere to fill in the gaps.

I was on the internet ten years ago and can attest to this.

>Has anybody noticed what I like to call a "pendulum effect" in opinion?
Yes, a man named Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel.

>The third law of the dialectic is also known as the pendulum theory which is often discussed by scholars and students of history. The pendulum theory is when events swing from one extreme to the other before the pendulum comes to rest at the middle. These extreme phases are referred to as the thesis and antithesis, the resolution is called the synthesis.

yeah

There was a period where edgy atheists said we need to get rid of all history based on religion/mythology, but increasingly there's been evidence found for king David, Camelot, the Xia dynasty, etc. showing that they did swing the pendulum too far to the left.

>Camelot
Wot

I've never heard the plate armor thing, katanas are pretty shit though.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camulodunum

"Camelot" is just a version of Camulodunum, the Roman name of modern-day Colchester, England.

There came a day, there was a day--one day
A man walked living among the forms of thought
To see their lustre truly as it is

And in harmonious prodigy to be,
A while, conceiving his passage as into a time
That of itself stood still, perennial,

Less time than place, less place than thought of place
And, if of substance, a likeness of the earth,
That by resemblance twanged him through and through,

Releasing an abysmal melody,
A meeting, an emerging in the light,
A dazzle of remembrance and of sight.

Why is Hegel so overrated
His dislectic is basically Aristotle's "way of the middle" ethical metaphysics

You just self-discovered the principal behind a Hegelian Pendulum. Seriously, unironically, Bravo.

Why are they shit? It's a good wrist cutter and thrusting is not a problem, although not as efficient as double edged weapons.

The 'katana is bad' is just a meme propagated by people who don't know shit. It's exactly the same as a European longsword, except it has a shitty hilt and it's shorter on average (although you can obviously get a blade in several sizes). That's not to say it's amazing, it's just a regular ass sword pretty much.

And by hilt, I mean guard*

You've seriously never heard of knights being winched onto horseback and drowning in mud because their mechanical style battle suit armour is too heavy to move in?

*mecha style

The internet is a breeding ground for contrarianism, its like this with everything.

It is not the same as a long sword at all, nor did it serve the exact same role.

Some of the techniques are similar, but others are quite different, and its short length was the result of legal and practical considerations.

If your going to compare a Japanese sword to a longsword the tachi is a better choice

having handled both I actually prefer the katana's hilt, fits better in the hand.

its not even that much shorter considering the length of the hilt and the way in which its used.

Why am I only just now hearing that Camelot was/is a real city in England?

Yes, big time and it bothers me too. It's this sort of know-it-all reactionary behavior that's clinged to and perpetuated by people who merely want to sound superior.

Pendulum effect is active in basically everything online. Just look at Veeky Forums, 10 years ago this site was a pack of libertarian left Obama supporters or very apolitical. Since then it's swung to the right in an effort to not appear "reddit" or what have you. Now that Trumpo the clown is president and reddit is becoming more and more alt right Veeky Forums is going to become more and more lefty.

>one of the first pranks Veeky Forums pulled was arranging black habbo hotel avatars in to swastikas and blocking pools because of Aids
>Yeah dude 10 years ago Veeky Forums supported Obama and they were libertarians
>first prank could be said to be the exact opposite of libertarianism

Veeky Forums went from being racists for laighs to racists. That is just going from being a dick to an extreme dick.

This is anecdotal evidence but the racism thing was a le ironic meme back in the day and I remember pro Obama threads all over /b/ back then, it became real after swarmfront sniffed /pol/ out and radicalized 'em

>libertarian left
Doesn't exist.

>Obama supporters
who the fuck told you that because clearly you weren't here