How many language did Jesus speak?

How many language did Jesus speak?
It's pretty much well known that he spoke Aramaic, but also the new testament refers to him as a rabbi, so he most likely also spoke Hebrew.
Greek was also something like the lingua franca of the region, widely spoken in Galilee, so he could habe spoke that as well, the new testament was originall written in Greek.
Latin language had an impact on this whole region as well back then, so he could have spoken it too to some degree perhaps.

I'm kinda confused, was Jeus a polyglot?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Testament#Language
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus?wprov=sfla1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Jesus is God, and can communicate with all of his creation.

even today most levantines speak two or three languages

>new testament was originall written in Greek.
Source

Speeking 2 or 3 languages=polyglot?
What are you an American?

>The major languages spoken by both Jews and Greeks in the Holy Land at the time of Jesus were Aramaic and Koine Greek, and also a colloquial dialect of Mishnaic Hebrew. It is generally agreed by most scholars that the historical Jesus primarily spoke Aramaic,[104] perhaps also some Hebrew and Koine Greek. The majority view is that all of the books that would eventually form the New Testament were written in the Koine Greek language.[105][106]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Testament#Language

Fuck ancient greeks, those dogs didnt belong in the fetile crescent

That's the definition of polyglot you mouth breather

No it isn't.

Nearly all modern Aramaic speakers are raised speaking or learning another language as well, while this may be due to being a minority language, it seems safe to assume that Hebrew would have been learned early by rabbis, especially considering the similarity. Unless there's some rule stopping it.

Greek words were used frequently in those languages in that region during the period so it also would've been easier to learn.

Poly = a lot
2-3 != a lot
Why are there Terms such as bi/trilingual?

>new testament refers to him as a rabbi
It also refers to him as king despite the fact he was some rural peasant born in a barn.

Didn't exist

So when Josephus names him as one of the many trouble makers who say they are the Messias, he is lying?

The minamum age to be a Rabbi is 30, Jesus started his ministry at that age and it lasted only 2-3 years.

Something to consider.

Isn't that a thing of post temple judaism?

[Citation needed]

Gime a moment

He was older than that.

>No king was ever a rural peasant born in a barn.

kek

>Who is Catherine I of Russia?

Why are you asking for a citation you're not going to give any credit to anyways? Just to waste people's time?

But the younger Ananus who, as we said, received the high priesthood, was of a bold disposition and exceptionally daring; he followed the party of the Sadducees, who are severe in judgment above all the Jews, as we have already shown. As therefore Ananus was of such a disposition, he thought he had now a good opportunity, as Festus was now dead, and Albinus was still on the road; so he assembled a council of judges, and brought before it the brother of Jesus the so-called Christ, whose name was James, together with some others, and having accused them as lawbreakers, he delivered them over to be stoned.

Jewish Antiquities 20.9.1

How different were Aramaic and Hebrew 2000 years ago? Even today it's easy to see the similarities between them.

Sounds like somebody's mad

Sorry since I'm on the phone I'm to Lazy to search a nice Edition so just wiki:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus?wprov=sfla1

Just calling you out for your dishonesty. See? Here's the proof you wanted, and you chose to ignore it.

Damn you were faste r

You'll get used to people asking for citations, and then completely ignoring them or calling them fake.

They're not honest brokers; they have an agenda, and they will not let go of that agenda for any reason, even the truth. Even their own life.

I know but I'm not at that point to stop arguing with ignorants.

Oh, no, stopping is not an option. The only cure for darkness is light.

Jesus spoke god's language. English

Not him but a human being called Jesus and being a preacher existing IRL doesn't makes the Bible or the man-god stuff real, though

That's not true. For exampe, Rav Elazar Ben Azariah was a rabbi (and the head teacher at a prestigious academy to boot) at 19.

And your doubt and disbelief do not make real things imaginary.

I this case that doesn't matter if you believe it or not: op asked which languages Jesus spoke clearly a question about the historical jesus
since the one user denied the existence of an historical Jesus so a non biblical source was provided

>I am the Alpha and the Omega
At least some knowledge of Greek is likely for people at that time.

>I am the Alpha and the Omega
I think it's such a beautiful universal message that Jesus embodied both the ultimate chad and the level 99 wizard NEET.

His first language was probably Aramaic. Depending on what immersion in Jewish scriptures he had he may have known some Hebrew but mostly for the study of it and probably not exactly a fluent speaker. There isn't exactly any definitive evidence to indicate he was immersed in the language and Targums translated into Aramaic were popular in that era and were commonly used.
As for the Greek it was a language of administration in the Hellenized domains while Aramaic had fallen into vernacular use with a varied orthography and different dialects. That isn't to say that dialectal divergence couln't be observed as far back as the ancient Babylonian periods. The earliest official or legalized churches conducted services in Greek and later made made translations of liturgies into other languages such as Syriac and Coptic for the common people. This was a matter of contention between them and the "elitist" churches during the schisms.
I think the sermon on the mount was given in Aramaic since all of the places mentioned where the people who he preached to came from were known Aramaic speaking areas.

>deraling the thread with semantics

Sorry for tying to be exact

You were correct. A polyglot would be expected to know many languages, not just two or three.

Jesus would be an omniglot, speaking all languages.

>but also the new testament refers to him as a rabbi
"Rabbi" wasn't really a thing during Jesus lifetime, it would mean something along the lines of "religious leader" or simply "teacher"

The Greeks colonized and civilized them, founding many of their historic cities. I don't understand your butthurt over this.