The ERE was a JOKE

If you still call Istanbul by its Greek name you should consider suicide. If you admire the Byzantine empire you should probably read a book.

The only notable ruler of the ERE was Justinian, and nothing he accomplished lasted. His campaign to try and retake Italy only resulted in the devastation of that region. The history of the Byzantine empire was a history of inexorable collapse, and there is nothing to be admired in it.

"Istanbul" is Greek, though. It's a corruption of the Greek phrase "eist ten polis", meaning "to the city"

Leave my Constantine alone.

why does it matter so much to you? why do you have such personal investment in a state that's been gone for over 500 years?

I personally don't have that much love for the state itself but I can acknowledge that the Byzantines left quite an influential mark on European history, especially Eastern Europe.

Byzantines were savage and deserved everything they got
>spent more time killing each other than Arabs
>gouging out eyes was a legitimate succession tactic
>degeneracy, degeneracy everywhere

There are few empires less worthy of veneration, and the mantle of the Roman Empire, than Byzantium.

I'm as Byzaboo as you can get and even I have to admit that the empire did just as much to destroy itself as outside forces did.

For every great ruler there were ten idiot emperors.

That's honestly giving the Emperors too much credit over the direction of the state, the demographic changes in Europe and the Middle East meant that a centralized state like the Byzantines were always going to have a hard time

this thread is filled with a bunch of bulgar fags

>degeneracy
????

truly, a dead empire. But, they were the roman empire and even followed their tradition of murdering the countryside to become emperor

christians and patriarchs

Justinian was a Jewish Patsy.

le hat meme

>God is dead
>calls their god the lord while they're all serfs to a literal lord

I think the reason why people are interested in Byzantine history is BECAUSE they were such spectacular failures and spent 1000+ years in perpetual decline.

Their decline wasn't perpetual though, large portions of their history is them reconquering territory

They practically created Russia. Only a roach or a Cr*at would be this butthurt about such a beautiful empire.

I love it, a geopolitically vulnerable, superstitious and decadent empire in a centuries long decline in a whirlwind of upcoming ethnic nations and migrations.

>realizes that there was a real-life Imperium of Man
>doesn't fall in love immediately

What isn't to like about a great empire steeped in history that has long passed its prime, but was so glorious in that prime that it manages to desperately hold the line for over a thousand years against hordes of enemies on every frontier?

Who would be Chaos in this scenario? The Venetians?

Venetians = demons of Slaanesh
Muslims = demons of Khorne
Mongols = demons of Nurgle (black death)
Pope = Tzeentch

Mongols and Muslims should be switched desu

Fuck off, Gibbon.

Why did the Turks go from one Greek name (with a historic and respected one, at that) to another? Why not a complete Turkification of the name? Were there many Greeks still living in Constantinople in the 20th century, by the time of the name change? Did they also stop calling it Konstantinopolis?

>muh strung-up god
Pagans get the torch

It was still called Constantinople (Konstantiniye in turkish) for centuries after it was taken, it wasn't until Ataturk that the name was officially changed iirc
and the whole western coast of Anatolia had a huge amount of Greeks until the population swaps after ww1

until the 19th the ottomans were calling Istanbul Constantinople because they were we wuzing as Romans.

>Implying it wasn't the Kievan Rus
>Implying orthodoxy was the motor for Russian identity

I smell a cockroach

> Fended off unrelenting assaults from multiple enemies on separate borders for centuries
> Brought to the brink of catastrophe again and again yet still managed to bounce back
> Retarded the advance of Islam into Europe by several centuries
> Most powerful military, sophisticated society, and wealthiest economy of any entity in Europe or the Middle East (most of the time)
> Outlasted their Latin Roman ancestors/counterparts by centuries

Go read some Luttwak and then kill yourselves

Nope

>2017
>being a t*rk

You forgot
>let's ottomans blob by inviting them to annex the Bulgarians

they called themselves the Sultanate of Rome at one point so it makes sense they would use the Roman names

>all those wh*Te subhumans in this thread
made me kek
daily reminder that European wh*Te sub-humans will always be inferior to normal people

Is that you, Yohan?

1100+1200 borders are comfy as fuck