Founding fathers' accents

Anyone know what the founding fathers sound like?

Best we have to go off of, are these specific accent/dialects

Cape Islander: youtube.com/watch?v=p1JVsgcLTIc

High tider:
youtube.com/watch?v=NxVOIj7mvWI

Jonesport, Main:
youtube.com/watch?v=yjx0CAKaC1M

Best guess is something like an East Anglian accent. (Don't forget, those in England would have changed too)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3noS_0IdrRo
youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E
youtube.com/watch?v=5O85EHwQ-ss
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I heard that the way Americans speak today is the way British people spoke back than and vice versa. Is this true or just normielore?

Definitely normie lore.
The only identifiable Americanism that the British had back then, was that the R was more pronounced, but I think even that has some falsehood as well.

Also, there wouldn't be the existence of those particular accents (in the videos) if Englishman sounded like Americans.
The accent we hear across America (And Canada) is largely influenced by German immigrants (The hard AU sound for example); California was largely populated by German immigrants, which lead to their distinctive accent. Meanwhile, the actual English settlers had more of an English accent, which progressed over time, with Irish, Scottish, French, and German settlers.

bump

Wow that first video is insane

>The hard AU sound
The use of adjectives "hard" and "soft" should be banned when talking about phonetic differences. They mean are used to mean 91230983 different things.

*they are used to mean

The American elite didn’t speak a pleb language, English, back then. That was the language of the masses.
They spoke French, and were all closeted or openly ouiaboos.

They spoke like Tony Soprano

They sounded like a wop?

High tider sounds like an Irish trying on a Scottish accent

The federalists were all anglophiles. Jefferson and the democratic-republicans were the ouiaboos

they sounded like me

>The hard AU sound
wut

Really? There was dago talk back in 1776?

youtube.com/watch?v=3noS_0IdrRo

This
They say high tiders accent is probably the closest to colonial English, due to their isolation

>OUI

youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E

In Virginia, we say that it's this. Best example so far

From cape sable island. Can confirm we've been here since the early 1700s.. And we recently just got a causeway built in the 50s.. We've been isolated for a very long time..

I don't like the ellipsis at the end
Sounds seriously rapey

I'm from the mainland side, I'm , but close enough where I can understand "hoi tiders" and their slang. "Pure T mommicked" and all that. Even being from the main land, I never thought I had much of accent, but leaving the areas more than once I have been asked if I was geechee/gullah or from the Caribbean (other accents closer to colonial English than our own"

youtube.com/watch?v=5O85EHwQ-ss

Wait, if you're from Nova Scotia, how can you understand Hoi Toiders? They're from North Carolina, right?

NOUS

ÉTAIT

I am from coastal Carolina. Eastern Craven/Carteret County area. Havelock/Harlowe.

Oh, I thought that you had meant that you were from the mainland side of Cape Sable Island.

Semi-twisted normie lore. American dialects were generally more conservative than British ones, but they have changed significantly since colonial times. It's closer, but not literally the same.

Did some work in political campaigns in the parts of NC where the "Hoi Toiders" are. The accent is amazing, but claims that it is Elizabethan English are nonsense.

Ah, them little carrot-shaped counties in NE NC, with about 50 people in each. Memories.

nah it sounds really english. The cape one is a bit more Irish sounding but still not really.

Newfies have an actual Irish accent

Look up "west country". I think the cape island accent is a bit of east Anglia and west country, while theres some north influence in the main accent and high tider accent

I like accent threads, though I have nothing to contribute.