What did people think of germans after ww1 and ww2?

What did people think of germans after ww1 and ww2?
Why weren't they genocided like the native americans?

In WW1 there was widespread animus against Germans in America leading many families to change their names and at least 1 German-American (i forgot his name) was lynched.

How many Germans live in Eastern Europe these days?

Because they were related to the allies, why would they kill their own people?

because non-Germs are civilised people

Because unlike German scum, the rest of Europe was above genocide.

>Why weren't they genocided like the native americans?

Beause post-WW2 Europe is supposed to be against nationalism.

But they will eventually commit more terrible war crimes, it's in their DNA.
Shouldn't we deport them to Madagascar or Iceland?

Because we didn't have anti-german disease to kill them like native americans.

Almost all in the former eastern territories - modern Poland and Czechia were expelled, but there are still a number of Germans in Hungary and Romania, many of which assimilated, though. There are also still Germans in Kazakhstan, former Russo-Germans who were deported to Kazakhstan during Stalinism. Many of those came and still come back to Germany for better living conditions since the fall of the Berlin wall.

>Why weren't they genocided like the native americans?

They were. How many original Germans do you see in modern day Germany?

Some are still around, but the majority were forced out right after the war. These are called Aussiedler. I am German, and I know many many people whose grandparents were from Romania, Yugoslavia, former Czechoslovakia, what is today Poland (rightful German clay), Russia, Ukraine, etc. It's quite common. One of my wife's grandmothers was from a village that is today in the Czech Republic. I had a girlfriend once whose grandparents were all Latvian Germans (Memelland).

In the Soviet Union itself, many were forcibly exiled to Kazakstan and Kyrgyzstan and places like that. In other countries, some ethnic Germans stayed because they were commies, or intermarried with non-Germans and didn't want to leave their families.

When Stalin died, the Iron Curtain countries chilled out a tiny bit, and remaining ethnic Germans were allowed to emigrate to Germany, and a second major wave then did. These are called Spätaussiedler. Many of these were religious minorities (Baptists, 'Free Christians', etc.). They are known for being churchy but hard-working, often in construction or physical labour trades.

This is still open, btw. So if you're, for example, a Russian of German descent (Volga Deutsch) and can prove a cultural connection (Lutheran, knowing some German), you can a become German citizen straight away. But obviously the numbers are small now.

It's kind of a meme that those who came later (from the mid-90s to today) are basically more Slav than German, but they had one German grandparent and knew some words, etc. I have an old classmate named Johannes Schmidt (German version of John Smith), which sounds German as fuck, but I remember when he moved here from Kyrgyzstan he could only speak Russian. He still has a heavy accent.

>(rightful German clay)
Jokes aside, that's retarded. The people responsible for the expulsion are long dead and the people that live there now can't be blamed. Claiming these lands back would only spark unnecessary conflict.

I met a Russo-German woman from Kazakhstan recently, and interestingly some of these foreign Germans still talked Plattdeutsch or other old, now almost extinct dialects.

Yea, the ethnic Germans in Russia generally lived in isolation. It's a cliché that when the first waves of Aussiedler came, they spoke 'funny' older, (linguistically) conservative forms of German. Cut off, these Germans' dialect became somewhat more uniform, and Plattdeutsch definitely had an influence.

When they were invited, the deal was they'd be allowed to run themselves. As they were good farmers and craftsmen, it was hoped they would improve the local economy, producing wheat/flour, wool, tobacco, furniture, and so on. It was hoped some of their magic would rub off on the lumpen slavs. In return for the economic boost, they could keep their language and religions, and didn't have to join the army (although this later changed, and that's why many Mennonites and Amish moved the US and Canada).

They were also used to settle the underpopulated area (along the Volga, near Kazakhstan) to secure it for Russia, and to act as a buffer against bands of asiatic land-pirates from further south east.

>Ruining Iceland with a flood of krauts

it should be carved up and split between each country it shares a border with.

They were either assimilated or expelled. I descend from an assimilated German family, they were given the option to either marry locals or leave.

>Germanised Slavs became Slavicized Germans

Because we needed them to fight the Soviets.

This.

When USA was confronted with the logistical problem of keeping enough force in mainland Europe to thwart the Soviets while simultaneously fighting the Korean war against the Soviet supplied Chinese manpower, the Nazi's who had not yet been convicted at Nuremberg were quietly acquitted and shuffled back into power.

There were former Nazis in official positions, but they weren't put there because, but despite of them being Nazis.

It's true though that the Americans wanted some relief in Europe, it's no coincidence the rearmament was started during the Korean War.

Yup, Germany was Meat Shield Europa in the case of WW3. German meant to slow down soviet forces in case of a land war, though I guess everyone would've been radioactive ash anyway.

At some point they realized they couldn't put the entire country behind bars. It's also true that lots of people joined Nazi Party because that was literally the only way to progress in certain fields and professions.

Still, plenty of bastards who probably deserved the gallows kept their positions after the war. The German legal field (judges, prosecutors, police, higher civil admin) were especially filled with former 'truer' Nazis, but the occupation forces needed them to keep Ordnung.

A similar phenomenon happened with Japan, too.

They weren't Germanised Slavs, they were Germans. Descendants of German colonists from the 1500s.