What did he get right/wrong?

Colin Woodard "American Nations"

Other urls found in this thread:

garreau.com/main.cfm13.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Shit borders. They'd be genociding each other inside of a year if they actually existed.

Midlands should extend farther north into Yankeedom. I live right on that border on the Mississippi river, and it makes no sense as a cutoff point. Most of Southern Minnesota is nearly identical to Iowa.

HOLY FUCKING BORDER GORE

None of these makes sense, it looks like it was drawn by a European.

Is it based on culture or just geography? Because Wisconsin and Michigan are way more similar to Pennsylvania, Ohio and Illinois than they are to New England.

Really it's who settled. Midlands is mostly Germans who came after the 30 years war. The King of England at the time was from Hanover

Honestly, expand the midlands to border The Far West at the Great Divide and the Far West is perfect, if this is a cultural map
East of the Rockies is basically corn people and Californians pretending to be Coloradans

Wisconsin is one of the most German states in America.

>Greater New England includes part of North and South Dakota
>Greater Appalachia includes part of New Mexico

And Cincinnati which is THE German city is somehow Appalachian. Map is shit.

Basing the borders off of counties was the stupidest fucking thing I have ever seen. Half of the dividing lines are arbitrary and he groups areas apart when they should be together or puts groups together when they should be apart.

As a texan I have no idea what the fuck is going on with my state in this map.
>lumping in the largest parts of texas with literally whoville
>east texas could possibly be southern, if large parts of it weren't half cajun
>the valley being mexican makes sense

If this is about immigration/colonizers then I'm even more confused, since there were multiple waves of german immigration to texas

>Chicago is in Greater New England
>The Midlands awkwardly snaking around actual midwest states into Canada
>Texas is in Greater Appalachia

Greater Appalachia makes sense actually. A lot of the whites in NM descend from Pioneers that moved from Appalachia

It also looks like they're splitting DFW right up the middle, maybe, which is maximum retarded

>>Chicago is in Greater New England
This honestly makes more sense than adding it to Midlands. Chicago sticks out like a sore thumb when you compare it to St. Louis, Des Moines and Minneapolis

"first nation" immediate contender for poorest nation on the planet.

"the left coast" would also immediately go on a war of conquest. too much good land to pass up, and too powerfulfor the "the far west" to stop

>maritimers are yankees

No but seriously
Who the fuck came up with this shit

Chicago and St. Louis are the same shit except Chicago is bigger and flashier. Same accents and immigration patterns too, and both cities are full of dindus. Des Moines have nothing to do with each.

Colin Woodard. Read the book

If this map is indicative of its accuracy, I think I'll give it a pass

toronto and south ontario would join up with "yankeedom" or even new france before the midlands

Blog by an extremely self-hating black guy.

Nevertheless, this is one of the few good things he's ever produced. Hard to argue with this map.

>Hard to argue with this map
Have you read this thread?

>He hasn't seen Bushwick

He's not proposing that these be actual national borders. He's claiming that these represent the main "national divides" in North America.

Neither of those things are true though

>What did he get right
"Tidewater"
More or less the border between Appalachia and the South
New York
Portions of border between the "Left Coast" and the "Far West"
"New France"
Florida
Recognition that upstate New York, Michigan and Wisconsin are close culturally despite distance.

>What did he get wrong?
The South West is a complete cultural region he ignored entirely
California. LA and SF are cultural regions unto themselves.
The Left coast is not uniformly left and it might not even be that distinct a culture within the larger Pacific Northwest, Portland notwithstanding.
Appalachia is it's own region. There is no such thing as greater Appalachia.
The same goes for New England
As other posters pointed out, there is no change in culture from Iowa to Wisconsin. I do think the cities of Chicago and Detroit are large enough to signify a distinct cultural rural/urban divide.

It looks like a textbook illustration for the chapter on Gerrymandering. Lots of silliness.

>New France
That entire thing is a fucking meme invented by Hollywood, outside of a tiny handful of parishes in Acadiana, nobody in Louisiana speaks French. Certainly not anyone in New Orleans.

>Maritimes
>Yankeedom

We're more similar to Newfoundland than to New England. Also the border gore here is ridiculous.

Wait, is Oklahoma part of "Chesapeake?"

Also, folding so much of NC into what as "Tidewater" in OP's map makes no sense at all.

what are those rustbelt poorfags doing in my new england?

Then he's still wrong.

There's literally nothing wrong with gerrymandering, to the winner go the spoils. If you don't like gerrymander than get enough people to vote for politicians who will make it illegal.

>Appalachia that small
>doesn't include western Pennsylvania, eastern Ohio, entire eastern Kentucky, half of North Carolina and northern Alabama
Shit map

That's one less region to keep track of.

I got lazy and couldn't decide if Oklahoma was Southern, Northern or South-Western so I gave it a middling color. Is North Carolina Southern?

Fuck off poorfag

>make a shit map
>gets mad when called out

It's like someone made a cultural map of the USA based solely on movies. Complete garbage tbqh.

>It's like someone made a cultural map of the USA based solely on movies.
This. I'm surprised it's not just NYC, Miami and LA and nothing but redneckistan inbetween.

>Colin Woodard "American Nations"
He made the map solely on the basis of historical cultural connections. That's why 'New England' goes into the Midwest, 'New France' includes Quebec and lower Louisiana.

Now here's Joel Garrieau's "Nine Nations of North America. He made this in 1980, and it's still valid.

>voting in an already gerrymandered system to change gerrymandering is possible in a two party government
most brainlet post of the year

>Cali
>ecotopia
Literally the most polluted state in the country.

You know what, Appalachia is part of the North.

>san diego
>part of the same cultural bloc as mexico
in his fucking dreams.

>Literally the most polluted state in the country.
It's Northern California, and he's talking about values here, not results.

BTW, You can read the book here: garreau.com/main.cfm13.htm

The whole point of this thread is bunk imo. The United States is incredibly homogenous by the standards of just about any country, much less one the size of a continent. It has no distinct nations, just the American nation with varying flavors of foreign influence depending on region, but those influences are ultimately superficial reminders of the inhabitants' heritage. The only ones that could be argued are the inhabitants of the Appalachians and African-Americans, both of which can be argued to have reached ethnogenesis (plus tiny groups of Louisiana Creoles).

California is not unique culture, it's Mexico.

>Louisiana Creoles
You mean Cajuns. Creoles are basically extinct.

what is that symbol for new england?

You are wrong.

>bunch of communist spics
So yeah Mexico

Looks like a woodstove to me

There is not a single thing in that picture related to actual Mexican culture.

Tell a Mexican that and watch them laugh.

God this makes me hurt

Except it's full of Mexicans

So is Texas

This is a lot better but I feel like that "empty quarter" has a lot more granularity than that and he just got lazy.There's no way Boulder CO has more in common with Nome than they do with say Phoenix or Austin. Also Wisconsin has more in common with us here in The Foundry (Ohioan here) than they do with Texas from what I've seen. DESU I'd add all the Great Lakes states to it (except maybe Minnesota) as he's got it and exclude the coastal states.

>The Empty Quarter
>I had no idea what goes on here so lets just leave it blank

>Putting a large chunk of the central valley in ecotopia
Hell half of "ecotopia" is land full of people who couldn't give a solitary fuck about eco-friendliness or whatever the hell that is supposed to be. I think they just saw that there were trees there and think trees equals "eco-ness".

And I know people like to separate them but there is much more cultural connection between Los Angeles and San Francisco than people give them credit for, and there is certainly more similarity than between San Francisco and fucking Alaska or LA and Mexico City (memes aside).

Adding that none of that is California culture in any way.

>This is a lot better but I feel like that "empty quarter" has a lot more granularity than that and he just got lazy
>>I had no idea what goes on here so lets just leave it blank
The Empty Quarter comes from the area of Saudi Arabia, which reflects the low population of the region (although it is more habitable!) and the importance of resource extraction of the region. Much of the region is in the hands of the federal governments, and thus anti-federal feeling often runs high here.

>The Empty Quarter comes from the area of Saudi Arabia, which reflects the low population of the region (although it is more habitable!) and the importance of resource extraction of the region. Much of the region is in the hands of the federal governments, and thus anti-federal feeling often runs high here.
That does make sense although I would argue that the preeminence of Mormonism in Utah along with a strong urban anchor in Salt Lake City does produce a cultural region in its own right. Though I think this map did focus more on economy.

>People can't vote for candidates of their choosing
Someone doesn't understand the electoral system

one of the most retarded maps I've ever seen, pic related is my personal favorite because it's pretty spot on in its cultural borders

REEEEEEE
hessian scum OUT OF YANKEEDOM

This is advanced fucking autism from someone who doesn't know American culture

As someone who grew up in NC, it's southern