Anglo-Saxon warfare

Is anyone familiar with how Anglo-Saxon warfare was waged during the age of the Heptarchy? Specifically how battles were fought during that age.

Other urls found in this thread:

millennia.f2s.com/nature.htm
regia.org/listings.php
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_dragon
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Essex
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>heptarchy
>posts 9 flags
>posts Islamic standards
But yeah we assume it was mainly heavy infantry meeting in lines with little cav and skirmishing, same with most early fall of Rome stuff
And defently don't watch the last kingdom

shield walls, some cavalry and archers, mostly shield walls

I believe they're modern flags of counties which were once part of the Heptarchy? What did you mean by Islamic standards?

I appreciate your answer though on the topic at hand.

Were there any professional or standing armies or were battles waged mainly via how the Fyrd (for example) were mobilised?

>And defently don't watch the last kingdom
And don't worry, I won't be. The last historical show I watched was HBO's Rome due to the authenticity. Anglo-Saxons for a long time were seen simply as Barbarians, this has disappeared largely I believe as the study of them begins to advance but I believe that same tainting of them will prevent any entertainment media with the same level of authenticity that the creators of Rome had.

They're all flags from modern counties but many of them (Literally all but the cornish cross) were the former flags of various kingdoms.

The top right is supposed to be Seaxs not scimitars

>They're all flags from modern counties
Cheers lad, that's what I thought. Was that the flag of the Kingdom of Northumbria then? (the one in the very middle)

Fyrd always got fucked .

Shieldwalls , big clashes , archers tried to keep everyone 's head down . Oh and dont forget the fucking slings.

What is a fair assessment on the skills of Anglo-Saxons in warfare? We know they certainly sorted their shit out in the 17th century to the 20th century and became very good at war, but I think the consensus seems to be they weren't as skilled in war as they were in nation-building.

not too many professional armies...

ISBN-10: 0752419102
ISBN-13: 978-0752419107

ISBN-10: 1898281270
ISBN-13: 978-1898281276

millennia.f2s.com/nature.htm

But the very best site I can recommend:

regia.org/listings.php (scroll down)

Or do you want a short version?

Cheers mate, the long version will do me just fine. I'll be reading it now, it's a sort of patriotic need to expand my knowledge on my ancestors lel.

But truly, thank you, that is everything I need right there.

No worries , greetings from Portugal.

Portugal, nice. Our oldest ally with an interest in Anglo-Saxon history? Greetings from the Kingdom of Northumbria.

Would have thought you were more for Mercia. Hell everyone loves Mercia.

I stand with Athelstan. One peoples united. But yes, everyone does indeed love Mercia. Modern Northumberland is the best county in the UK though.

Well I wish you the best of luck learning about the good old anglo saxons , maybe learn how to use the sling or the spear?

I'll skip the sling and go straight to the spear mate, I don't trust myself with the sling. But thank you indeed friend.

Personally, I think the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle needs to be updated with everything that's occurred in the last 500 years with the modern Anglo-Saxons.

The Fyrd is something Alfred the Great came up with, which is post heptarchy
I say Islamic because those swords are too curved for native germanics

Just stop, you've gone full LARP the rest could be excused as research for your game

>the modern Anglo Saxons
But English identity begins in the Hundred Years' War, and the British in the glorious revolution

It was. Just for fun they are from top left to bottom right

Wessex, Mercia, Essex, (Can't remember the three crowns but it might be east Anglia iirc), Northumbria, Cornwall (modern invention), Kent, Sussex and I'm pretty certain the white dragon is the Anglo-saxon counter to the Welsh red dragon and not actually a flag. Another user might be able to correct me. It's from an old prophecy

Plague
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_dragon
And yeah they should use the golden wyvern as the standard for England, as Wessex was the great unifier

Both your statements show you don't know what you're on about. The Fryd was brought over with the original Anglo-Saxons. The blades are Seaxs, which is where the name Saxon comes from.

Shut up you mongloid. I was LARPing playfully with someone sharing knowledge with me. That's not exactly "full larp" now is it?

I would like if we played our Anglo-Saxon roots up a bit more desu. And as someone from the heart of Wessex I wouldn't mind the wyvern coming back

>But English identity begins in the Hundred Years' War,
English identity long pre-dates Athelstan, but try 927 AD when England was unified. He was "King of the English", but the concept of English existed long before that in the war against the Britons.

> and the British in the glorious revolution
"British" isn't an identity people here use if they're natives. They're English, Scottish and Welsh.

I don't understand your point. It's as if you just wanted to slander England in your comment. We can get into a discussion of the genetics of the British Isles if you'd like, but modern England is, on average, between 10%-40% Anglo-Saxon, with that being as high as 70% in some areas.

The Belgians, the Jutes, the Vikings, the Angles, the Celts, the Saxons and the Normans all descend from the same people who replaced the British Isles between 2500 BC and 2300 BC though, they were all extremely similar people. This is expressed in Danelaw.

>"British" isn't an identity people here use if they're natives. They're English, Scottish and Welsh.
Forgot the picture.

>I would like if we played our Anglo-Saxon roots up
Agreed.

I have the Northumbrian flag flying next to the St George's cross in my garden. I had no idea it was that old.

Sorry meant as in 'for being a quick reference to the heptarchy and Anglo Saxon England' not 'WE WUZ GERMANICS N SHEIT
Anyway strengthen the monarchy before standards are changed
A Seax is suppoused to be a long knife good for stabbing, not as curved as modern replicas are

Not him but Seaxs aren't curved

>'WE WUZ GERMANICS N SHEIT
I don't think that's applicable here. It's not WE WUZ'ing if it's true, and that more or less is true for all of Northern Europe and England really was (is) Anglo-Saxon.

I know, they are heavily stylized versions but that's what they are.

Generally a Seax has only one edge, just like the swords on the flag.

Weirdly Wikipedia also calls them cutlasses

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Essex

But english are germanic, they mostly are and more than celtic

>British isn't an identity
I am British m8, I live in the South and my family has lived here since at least the Norman conquest. It was an identity, but only for a short period and was not particularly widespread.
>genetics of England
Genetics doesn't matter, it's about culture, how do people see themselves not what they actually are. Because if people always identified as what their haplogroups were then you wouldn't have an English student steal the stone of Scone and break it
It's as true as blacks saying they were kings because they are descendants of kings and other tribal leaders, but why worship pre Norman conquest England when there is so many better times to chose from, like early industrial revolution Britain, the reformation making you go from gentleman farmer to plantation owner in a day, or catholic emancipation but suffrage is still kept to the middle and upper classes

>they mostly are and more than celtic
The Celts after 2500 BC were Germanic too. The word "Celtic" is used so wrongly.

Boii

What is your source, lad?

You aren't British or English lad. I can tell by your posts. Either that, or you really fucking hate your own country and make up historical garbage to justify your own shit points.

You were completely wrong about the English identity forming during the Hundred Years War. You are completely wrong about "British" identity coming from the Glorious Revolution. What the Glorious Revolution did was destroy the English monarchy forever, the concept of British had existed for 7 centuries before hand though. Google "Rex Totius Brittaniae".

Why were you content on spewing out lies about the formation of the English identity coming out of the Hundred Years War? What did you hope to achieve by citing that? It's perhaps the most bogus claim I've ever heard, and so easily disputable. There's no way in hell you were taught it in school or anything, unless you had really awful teachers, which makes me think you just straight up told a lie to try and take a shot at England.

>Genetics doesn't matter
Yes it does when you're talking about modern Brits and where they descend from you clown.
>It's as true as blacks saying they were kings because they are descendants of kings and other tribal leaders
It's not remotely the same thing you utter fucking mongloid. North Europe IS Germanic, and England is Anglo-Saxon you muppet. Blacks are not Egyptians. This is no where near the same thing.

Again, you aren't British. It's more than obvious in your text.

The Bell-Beaker migration which replaced the British Isles population between 80%-90% from 2500 BC to 2300 BC.

I have this link bookmarked but for some reason it's detected as spam so you'll have to fill in the gaps.

eurogenes.blogspot.co uk/2017/05/the-bell-beaker-behemoth_10.html

Whenever I bring this up, I get opposition, but mostly from people equating 'Germanic' to modern day German and not using the word in the correct context.

Well, the Hearthweru were the king's guards, their numbers varied, (depending on this being a king from the early days where a bunch of drunkards would be in a tavern, the drunkest is declared king, to in the later days of several kingdoms) these guys would be the most well-armed and well-armored. In the early days, the Hearthweru pretty much did all the fighting unless there was a peasant or some shit willing to commit suicide by battle. The Fyrd were farmers who were levied into the shield wall, coming much later after the old days. You could argue that they were both levied and professional, just parts of it.

Cheers lad, couple of words saved for research once I'm finished with what Portugalbro dropped.

Completely unrelated, yet somehow reminded me of this, was Anglo-Saxons making up a huge amount of the Varangian Guard for the Byzantine emperor, and the founding of 'Nova Anglia' by Anglo-Saxons escaping William the Conqueror.

>but why worship pre Norman conquest England when there is so many better times to chose from
What an utterly ridiculous statement. Something tells me you don't belong on a board dedicated to history.

For the record, Anglo Saxon history stretches far beyond the Norman invasion.

When does Anglo Saxon history end

Just saying lads, good job with having a mostly comfy non Anglo hating thread on /hist/

It doesn't. The Anglo Saxon Chronicle needs updating.

Well there is one muppet in here who thinks English identity was born from the Hundred Years War (somehow), apart from that it is rather nice.

Yeah, I got a big understanding from anecdotes and notes in my copy of Bob Carruthers' Anglo Saxon Chronicle. I got to re-read it after Irma knocked out my power and I had fuck-all to do.

We don't have Anglo haters on Veeky Forums besides maybe one or two Frenchmen that browse, the rest are just shit posters and naziboos that hate Britain for not being their cocksuckers

Romanian interested in British middle ages here. I see that most of the people ITT are englishmen. How popular were the sutton hoo helmets? They look great.

Do frogs hate britain out of envy? After the 100 years war England was pretty much doomed and afterwards it got embroiled in civil unrest, however by the 18th century it got more powerful than France. Have those two countries been even allied in a war prior to the crimean war of 1855?

Kings, earls, bigmen, would have retinues consisting of a few dozen to a hundred full time warriors, who would accompany them at all times. They couldn't stay in one spot for too long due to the extremely low agricultural output and lack of trade in England. They typically had several villas around their demense where they would stay for a portion of the year living on the peasant's food.

They traveled on horses but dismounted to fight. Battles were small scale with typically less than 100 warriors on each side. The main armaments were spears, javelins and wooden round shields covered in hide with an iron boss, very few would have mail, helmets, and swords. Battles were fought in shield walls, with each side throwing javelins back and forth before closing in on eachother. There's not much evidence for archery.

The French were allied to the kingdom of Great Britain after the war of the Spanish succession to maintain the balance of power, but not many people liked this, not least Georg Ludwig of Hannover who becomes king soon after and helps brake this alliance in favour of a hapsburg alliance as Georg Ludwig had before
Also they suppourters the monarchists after revolution, although the whigs thought the revolution would lead to a constitutional monarchy like it did in Britain
Watch David starkeys monarch fro the best British history

That's the only one I think they have found and it would appear to be owned by a king. But that king was an early east Anglian king which was one of the smallest of the last 7 kingdoms so probably not as rich as others. I don't know how common other Styles of face mask helmets would be but helmets in general were considered the bare minimum for a soldiers protection.

Or do you mean how popular are they modern day? Because people seem to like it quite a bit, it's a pretty impressive design

We currently believe the Sutton Hoo mask is a symbol of royal authority that predates the crown for East Anglia, which was also one of the first Anglo Saxon kingdoms to convert to Christianity, mainly to centralise the realm, and get a better army

Why was agriculture poor in England, constant raiding or lack of understanding of how agriculture works

Yes, and no. Many Anglo-Saxons had fled William the Conqueror and had gone the way to the Byzantines, like so many people in flight before then. But the guard had existed before then, primarily consisting of Norsemen. By the time Alexios Komnenos was in power, the guard was primarily made up of Anglo-Saxons.

He means, more than likely, the infrastructure simply wasn't in place to requisition, store and distribute food in a way to sufficiently supply a large body of troops in the field for long periods

It's a shame. If the Scots all get to LARP as Gaels and highlanders, and the Irish can pretend to be human, why cant English people identify more with the based Saxons? We should revive old English. 1066 worst year of my life

>praise people that enslaved fellow Christians
Wew