Did people before the 20th century have a sense of humor

Did people before the 20th century have a sense of humor

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_History
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes - start with the Greeks.

Yes - the Holy Roman Empire

>William of Malmesbury's humorous anecdote illustrates both the character of Eriugena and the position he occupied at the Frankish court. The king having asked, "Quid distat inter sottum et Scottum?" (What separates a drunkard from an Irishman?), Eriugena replied, "Tabula tantum" (Only a table).
THE MADMAN

I don't get it

I know they had their cutesy little dadjokes like this, but did they have weirder/more sophisticated humor as well

Read A Modest Proposal

Can somebody explain this one

It's a double entendre

The letter C looks like a table

The king was sitting opposite Eriugena

So he was giving him a factual answer and also calling him a drunkard

See

We have fart jokes going back to Sumerian times. Also Shakespeare is riddled with jokes.

>Scottum
So Scottum translates to Irishman? Did they consider Scots and Micks the same thing

Did people back then understand irony as we know it today?

Did they have a Chris Morris or a Sam Hyde of their time?

I don't know that their sense of irony was as sophisticated as ours, but they did have satyrical books:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_History

>Demetrius: Villain, what hast thou done?
>Aaron: That which thou canst not undo.
>Chiron: Thou hast undone our mother.
>Aaron: Villain, I have done thy mother

Voltaire’s Candid is full of satire and irony

Damn

Look up some of the graffiti found at Pompeii. These were the same kind of people as today:

(Bar/Brothel of Innulus and Papilio); 3932: "Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!"

No, they were all completely humourless autists, kinda like Germans

It's complicated. Basically 'Scotti' is what the Romans called the Irish, while the people living in what is now Scotland were "Caledones" in the Lowlands and "Picti" in the Highlands.

From at least the 7th century, and probably before, there was a lot of immigration of the Scoti/Irish into the northern part of Britain, where the Picts lived. Eventually, the Scoti became the dominant culture, and the country became known as Scotland after them.

Irish and Highland Scots have historically been very culturally similar and considered themselves to be the same people until relatively recently.

The first recorded joke is a fart joke involving fucking a chick.

A Roman legionary thought it'd be funny to fart during a Jewish Seder and accidentally incited a riot and caused the death of several thousands of civvies.

Of course people have had humor, it's in our nature.

>From at least the 7th century, and probably before, there was a lot of immigration of the Scoti/Irish into the northern part of Britain, where the Picts lived. Eventually, the Scoti became the dominant culture, and the country became known as Scotland after them.
Begorrah

They found some greek slingers bag of rocks with words like "take this!" written on them. So yeah I guess they did.

>implying the Nazis weren't taking the piss
Germanic humor is just on a higher level than Anglo humor.

>the Wannsee protocol and Generalplan Ost were just IRL shitposts
Were Germans the secret masters of bantz all along?

My niggas diogenes

The Germanic Chad is always funnier than the Anglo beta.

Sumerian

Well, we think it was actually a lot of cultural intermingling rather than actual migrations of people, but basically this.

>what is the meme machine

>look, i brought you a man!
still cracks me up

>the Holocaust chain of events can be traced down to a fart joke

>Holocaust

>Relating modern "jews" with hebrews

I think its time to kill yourself, lad, you are stupid

turn of the century bantz

>the Albertos were behind WW1 all along

>this retarded meme again
Modern Jews have semitic ancestry you idiot. Yes they have mixed with Europeans but that doesn't erase their Hebrew origins. Why do you think they all have big ugly kike noses and curly hair

I still don't understand this joke. Are they saying that women always fart in their husband's lap? I don't get it. What's the punchline?

fpbp

>if only I could rub my belly and satisfy my hunger
fuck he may have been a disgusting degenerate, but that is some mad humor.

this was great banter, but not as devastating as this:
>Plato was discoursing on his theory of ideas and, pointing to the cups on the table before him, said while there are many cups in the world, there is only one `idea’ of a cup, and this cupness precedes the existence of all particular cups. “I can see the cups on the table,” said Diogenes, “but I can’t see the `cupness'”. “That’s because you have the eyes to see the cup,” said Plato, “but”, tapping his head with his forefinger, “you don’t have the intellect with which to comprehend `cupness’.” Diogenes walked up to the table, examined a cup and, looking inside, asked, “Is it empty?” Plato nodded. “Where is the `emptiness’ which precedes this empty cup?” asked Diogenes. Plato allowed himself a few moments to collect his thoughts, but Diogenes reached over and, tapping Plato’s head with his finger, said “I think you will find here is the `emptiness’.

After white people toppled the achievements laid down by the black man for two millennia? No, but then the black man reemerged and fought his way to the top to get himself a VOICE in the white boi's society, reviving the art of comedy along with everything else, as well getting plenty of white pussy on the side.