Architecture Thread

Because nothing major is happening right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Libeskind
thestar.com/opinion/columnists/2008/03/11/nature_makes_fools_of_architects.html
kunstler.com/featured-eyesore-of-the-month/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spire_of_Dublin

twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ridiculous, but unfortunately all too understandable - why expect government bureaucrats or committees to champion any aesthetic values?
ah yes - my town. it's a rare feeling of discomfort walking beneath that gigantic spike - particularly during the winter when considerable chunks of ice periodically rain down upon the pedestrian areas below....
the good news is they had to build it in such a way that it could be dismantled without any damage to the overall structure or facade of the original building

>particularly during the winter when considerable chunks of ice periodically rain down upon the pedestrian areas below
I thought buildings have safety regulations...

We did this, didn't we?

no, it was the commies

Sigh.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Libeskind

they do. their solution?
post signs around the area warning of the hazard.
I mean, just LOOK at this...
here's a relevant article about it:
thestar.com/opinion/columnists/2008/03/11/nature_makes_fools_of_architects.html
>Thus the contemporary architect is freed from conventional constraints to deal with more artistic issues. In ((Libeskind))'s case, that means creating an aesthetic appropriate to an age characterized by anxiety, pain and provocation. The Crystal evokes all this brilliantly.

>We did this, didn't we
yes and no.
The building with the dome could've been saved, but the commies demolished it was the former military headquarters.
Supposedly, the commies wanted to reconstruct the bridge to its pre-WWII state, but the Swiss refused to sell the crucial elements, needed for the reconstruction.
So the commies decided to do build a new bridge instead, using the blueprints of a bridge from Frankfurt, I think.

topkek.
Gotta love when architecture backfires
>Let's not forget Madame Savoye, whose family commissioned the father of modern architecture, Le Corbusier, to design a residence. The Villa Savoye became one of the most celebrated buildings of the 20th century. But Madame Savoye was so upset by the leaky roof, she threatened to sue.
I always knew that faggot was a fraud

Are these actually happening or are you just getting my hopes up?

oh that's just brilliant:
>he's got a real knack for design
>yeah, too bad he forgot about a little thing called the Sun
>maybe he just assumed London was perpetually overcast, and thought he could get away with it...
in most cases this would be an amateur mistake, but in his case, it was hubris. nearly all the newest architectural designs - when not marked by "green" elements - are created to demonstrate how obtrusively the architect can impose his vision on the public, as well as to maximize obsolescence, like making them with curved frames and glasswork that needs specialized molds and components in order to create them

I've gotten a lot of laughs at the expense of horrid design from James Howard Kunstler's "Eyesore of the Month" page:
kunstler.com/featured-eyesore-of-the-month/

thats great. proof that we can still build nice classical design

natsoc architecture

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spire_of_Dublin
This pisses me off to no end, the story is
>used to be a site for a tall Pillar statue to an influential british figure
>IRA blows it up for Irish independence in 1966
>Irish Army removes the rubble and remains
>contemporary government decides what to put in its place
>not a statue of an Irish Hero
>Not a traditional Irish symbol
>not even just a fucking flag
>just a tall sharp pole
>A
>FUCKING
>POLE
God DAMN it annoys me.

Germany is a messe!

They build these cunt buildings solely so they stand out and it's great for a tourist, it's a fun photo or memory to take home but for the locals they are eternally wasteful monuments that take a shit on the skyline and skullfuck your eyes every day when you're driving to work.

source on this building? bottom doesnt look real

>2018
it doesnt exist yet.

jewbook .com/ ArchitecturalRevivalMMXII/ posts/1663400163731372

hey, I've been under those arches - I remember that mural, too
there was an interview with Pasolini about how even under fascism, the architecture wasn't hideous - even architecture built during a period dominated by an ideology he despised could not destroy the Italian aesthetic sensibility. but he viewed consumerism as threatening these sensibilities like nothing before it.

That's in Germany though.

God why

I know - I've spent some time in Berlin
that reminds me, since we're discussing architectural sins: the British Embassy in Berlin's embassy district

...and just because I was taken aback when I first saw it - North Korea's embassy

Huh. The thought that there are North Koreans in Germany at all is weird to me. How many diplomats escape from there annually?

I don't know about the house of owls, but the mtesz headquarters was demolished last year and the new building is under construction already.

Fuck Mods, btw.

Presumably being diplomats for the norks, they live pretty cushy lives. Not too many I would guess.

>The thought that there are North Koreans in Germany
A few former Warsaw Pact countries still have diplomatic relations with NK
Fun fact: Nork students fought along Hungarians in the 1956 Revolution.

The former building is already demolished and the construction of the new one begun in September.
The construction is really slow because:
>The building is above the metro station, they had to "peel" down the building from the metro entrance
>They built an underground tunnel to connect the new building with the Parliament
>The construction site is extremely cramped, the tram is right next to it.
pic related is the construction site last week. The old concrete thing is the entrance to the metro, but they are already began the construction of the new building on top of it.

I genuinely don't know what's up with left-wing parties (well, the parties that LARP as left-wing parties, at least) in Europe. They are completely insufferable and seem to hate their own national identity for whatever reason.

Don't go whining about modernist architecture, though. It's pretty great.

Anybody got that video where a guy explains for about 40 minutes on how bad architecture is the way it is, how just adding plants to something doesn't make it look good, and how tract housing leads to depressed kids?

I'm interested.

The Stadtschloss is a turbomeme and everyone involved with the project should be shot

yeah so am, haven't seen it in about a year. it was on a half year long thread on /n/ once, but it's been archived

quick rundown? Is there anything we don't know about?

A few I'm sure but you need to take into account how families are held hostage in NK

Nah, OP pretty much says it all, except the Palast der Republik being torn down because of Asbestos. It was mostly torn down as a petty gesture

I'm preetty surprised that the senate hasn't tried tearing it all down yet

Dunno where you're getting the idea of weird modernist walls.

The pic is of the waterfront side, which would have been modernist , but clearly isn't.

>Dunno where you're getting the idea of weird modernist walls.
I'm not OP

>It still won't be a museum dedicated to German/Prussian history

This is why I'm glad I'm Austrian

Fuck I hate every art movement 1900s onwards.

>I genuinely don't know what's up with left-wing parties (well, the parties that LARP as left-wing parties, at least) in Europe.
Decades of Soviet commie subversion

That's not a pole lad it's the rod to god

>Architecture Thread on Veeky Forums.
>Mfw nobody discusses Architecture, it's always bitching about modern architecture.

>Muh national identity
Kek, """"traditional"""" Western European Architecture is arr rook same. Especially if we look into Pan-European movements like Gothic or Neoclassical bullshit.

Only difference I can find there is Hungarian.

Fuck off you dumb faggot.

>Medieval shits do wattle and daub because it's cheap and it works.
>Hundreds of years later.
>MUH TRADITIONAL ENGLISH/FRENCH/GERMAN HOUSE THAT IS UNIQUE TO MUH NATIONAL CHARACTER

>EUROPE ONLY CONSISTS OF STRAWMANS I CREATE
Last time I'm telling you to fuck off, you dumb faggot.

Pic unrelated? You can tell what part of Europe that town is from just by looking at it. Way to prove your point, retard.

>Strawmans.
But its the truth kek.

If modern architecture is to be accused of one thing, it makes ALL the world boring. But you niggers forget that modern architecture is inherently western, and the western world has shared architectural conventions for god knows how long, damn your nationalist feefees.

I have no idea what's so hard to accept that """traditional""" architecture is rarely national. You see the same shit in East Asia with everyone having the same fucking Chinese style of tiled roofing.

>I read filename labels
Congrats. Now where is this one? Don't google image-search.

see Its Germany, you can keep pretending that's how Italy or Spain looks like, you dumb strawmanning faggot.

>>>I read filename labels
Nah, both Rothenburg and Colmar are extremely recognisable towns so they're not really good examples to use. Although admittedly I didn't immediately recognise Rothenburg and I assumed it was somewhere in southern Germany, which is correct.

"Modernism is built everywhere but belongs nowhere"

That's literally the point of Modernism. It's an Internationalist movement.

>The Humboldt Forum will incorporate two existing museums, the Ethnological Museum of Berlin and the Museum of Asian Art. Both have their roots in the Ancient Prussian Art Chamber. The Ancient Prussian Art Chamber was originally established by Joachim II Hector, Elector of Brandenburg in the mid 16th century, but was nearly destroyed during the Thirty Years' War (1618–1648)

It doesn't seem that bad, also there are probably tons of German museums already, also the Ethnological Museum isn't just Africa, it has stuff from places such as "Its highlights include important objects from the Sepik River, Hawaii, the Kingdom of Benin, Cameroon, Congo, Tanzania, China, the Pacific Coast of North America, Mesoamerica, the Andes, as well as one of the first ethnomusicology collections of sound recordings (the Berliner Phonogramm-Archiv)" So it is a wold wide collection much like British Museum

>MUH TRADITIONAL ENGLISH/FRENCH/GERMAN HOUSE THAT IS UNIQUE TO MUH NATIONAL CHARACTER
The best part about how wrong you are is that often "national character" doesn't even exist, since many traditional architectural styles can even be pinpointed down to small regions within nations.

Downgrade. They should have just cleaned. Also pic 2 as taken on a clear day during the famous "golden hour" that photographers use, whereas pic 1 is taken on an overcast morning.

When you don't believe in nationalism, your national identity means very little to you

England actually. Thanks for proving my point.

No, it's definitely Rothenburg in Germany.

Kay gonna dump cause modernist buildings are not always bad

And this one is more of a great photo than a great building but I really dig it

Rothernburg ob der Tauber - Duitsland

You dumb faggot

btw some of this buildings may NOT be modernists... Idk shit about architecture what can I say

thats all folks

pic 2 is just a concept art
See: Also, the basement got flooded numerous times and the main columns started to rot away.
Renovating the existing building would've costed as much as building a new one. So the govt demolished the commie cancer and decided to build a new office building with the original, 1923 facade design.

>The Humboldt Forum will incorporate two existing museums, the Ethnological Museum of Berlin
That shit is so fucking retarded. The existing ethnological museum, while located at the outskirts of the city, is pretty massive and still in good shape. God, what an absolute waste of ressources better spent elsewhere

BTFO

That's post-modernism. Good pics though, keep posting.

>whatchu want?
>just dystopia my shit up
>say no more, f.am

Nah. That's all the good ones I had about modern architecture.
This one is very nice though it is interior design more than anything
learn to see the beauty in everything

Nazis will defend this but shit on brutalism

Because Nazis didn't just pour concrete, there's a hint of the antique in it albeit taken down a few notches. You can notice the columns, the stone facade, the decorative ledges, etc.

Not that I like the Nazis ones, but they're not as shit either.

Is that in Montpellier?

there is something about weathered concrete that is evokes a sense of sadness and loneliness

It occurs outside Europe too.

I've heard that this Green Party is the worst one in Germany.

*crumples up some tinfoil*
lol guys i designed the new city hall

>snow and ice wieght was not considered in the design
How is that even possible? Had the construction already started when they realised that the engineers fucked up?

I know I asked this in another thread but how do we make architecture good again and reassert a sense of tradition? I am not an architect so right now I feel like its entirely out of my hands. The only tool for change I can think of is acting like a little bitch at city council meetings.

Scottish parliament used at the start of devolution vs the new one
This is what £414 million gets you.

and the pre-Union Parliament which is also quite nice

strictly speaking not architecture but here's a look at the inside of the monstrosity
cheap looking and tasteless (like Sturgeon I suppose)

Excellent
L - Shit Neo-Gothic
R - Mediocre, could have been excellent

That's pretty damn cool. It's a modern, efficient, yet human interior.

Architecture cannot be inherently fascist or non-fascist. If you made that facade a little dirty/aged and told someone it was built by Mussolini's or Franco's regime they'd believe it (because such buildings were indeed constructed by them).