What can i do with a Veeky Forums degree?

What can i do with a Veeky Forums degree?
I want to study something intresting instead of being a coding monkey, but what the FUCK do i do with this piece of paper?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=it0StsIvrAo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities
gsb.stanford.edu/exec-ed/programs
arch.ox.ac.uk/taught-masters.html
reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/subject-area/archaeology-pg/ma-archaeology.aspx
dur.ac.uk/archaeology/postgraduate/taughtprogrammes/maarchaeology/
universiteitleiden.nl/en/education/study-programmes/master/archaeology/about-the-programme/programme-structure
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

teach lmao

Get a STEM degree, make money, and study history as a passion.

Some shitty clerical job.

Kek

Go to law school.

You can still go to medical school with a liberal arts degree

*if you've taken the requisite classes and you know enough to do well on the MCAT

Maybe a museum worker?

Intel

a fucking anime poster as a teacher? noooo thank you

That sounds like a joy! I'm sure I'll feel completely fulfilled in a job that I am competent, confident and industrious at!

Terrible advice, don't do stem unless you're passionate about it.

As to op's question not much will have you directly using your degree other than teaching, but you are learning other things in a history program besides the history. Namely how to take a huge amount of data and synthesize it into an easily consumable essay.

get a cpa and do finances for a museum

Whatever you want, really. Liberal arts degrees aren't vocational certifications. Congratulations, you're educated now. Now go get a job and acquire some skills.

Only in Murica

You could always become a spook.

bump

>What can i do with a Veeky Forums degree?
Depends on country and level.
I've got the local equivalent of a history MA and I'm a high school teacher. My degree (plus teaching abilitation course) qualified me to teach history, philosophy, literature at both middle and high school level.
A BA would have qualified me for grad school, and that's it. Well it also qualifies me as 'college educated' which is a very very minor plus on a CV, barely worth mentioning.
A MA also qualifies me for a slew of public offices, but they're the 10000 applicants for 3 spots kind.
A PhD would have qualified me for research assignments and uni teaching.

Here in Italy you can work but for a very low wage (the average is like 600 euros), in Murica pretty much nothing I guess

>Indebting yourself for life for a worthless piece of paper

>tfw you're a poorfag minority
>tfw you're invested in history but don't have the opportunity to attain social mobility with that passion
>tfw you wish your obsession was something more practical, like STEM, to stay afloat financially
I guess the liberal arts really are professions reserved for the bourgeoisie.
>inb4 muh affirmative action
The last thing on my mind is to wreck my honor and become one of those loathed freeloaders.

>What can i do with a Veeky Forums degree?
Starve

Five years of tuition to get BA+MA ran me around 7k (total, not yearly) with no contributions or scholarships because mediocre student.
Not every uni system is as mindbogglingly expensive as the US's.
Oh and my uni ranks top 200 for history in the world, which while relatively pedestrian is still on the level of non-elite US colleges that run you 50k/year, so yeah americans have no excuses for those costs.

This. Although if you want to do something related to history with a BA, pretty much your only choice is to teach. If you thought you could be a researcher or something like that with a BA, you had unrealistic expectations and should have thought things out better. A lot of history majors end up doing local government work and other clerical things like that. I have a friend who just got a copywriting job at an advertising agency.

If you already have the degree, you have a piece of paper that qualifies you for 90% of jobs out there. Start looking at things you might be interested in, and go from there. If you really want to "do" history, go to grad school.

>instead of being a coding monkey
Programming is an interesting job though. It's like problem solving. Sure it can be frustrating but it's never soul-suckingly boring like working retail or fast food.

t. English major who now works as a software consultant.

You are poor. You need every advantage you can get. Piss on people who shame you for it. How do you think people get out of poverty? Not by refusing help, they take every bit of help they can get and claw their way out. It is not easy to climb the social ladder, it takes grit and no small amount of good fortune.

Save pride for when you can afford it.

>so yeah americans have no excuses for those costs
Since when do you need an excuse to run a racket? Cause that's what the American university system is. It's bent toward one aim only: fleecing students of their money, and it is exceptionally good at it. It's pretty unsustainable though, eventually the whole system is gonna collapse in a heap if they don't check their greed, but since when does anyone check their greed?

I grew up poor as fuck and I'm an archaeologist now. Sure, I've felt like an outcast that skipped a social step sometimes (because fucking everyone else in this job grew up way better off than me), but it's possible to make it if you focus and don't let it bother you too much.

And stop thinking about your "honor" so much. Those steps are there for a reason. People in these fields are complaining all the time about how so few minorities and poor people even try to enter them. Go to college, get all the scholarships you can, and work towards a job you want. Social mobility is really fucking hard nowadays, but it's still possible. And no one gets anywhere without at least some help.

Oh I was just preventively covering my ass against Stockolm syndrome victims that insist their education was better enough to warrant being 25 times more expensive. I've met their kind way more often than I find people like you who acknowledge that the system is legalized robbery.

youtube.com/watch?v=it0StsIvrAo

1:00

What about international relations

American education is shit but they have that cool thing that allows you to graduate in two things and take exams in very different subjects, here you choose one thing (engineering, medicine, history) and you're stuck with that and that alone

American post-secondary education IS very high quality. But the fact that the system is a racket is indisputable. Most of the honest teachers are transparent about it too, but the system is wrapped up in powerful loan and collections companies at this point, there's a whole industry built around loaning to students and then collecting fat checks from the government when they can't pay, and professors are largely innocent of that since they are at the lowest level of the multifaceted organization. In fact many professors are at its mercy the same as students in America: these days it's extremely common for most professors to not be hired on as full time, but kept at a part time position so they are refused full benefits and the possibility of a tenure track. The administration carefully husbands its stock of tenured professors so only those who support the extortionary policies stay on and eventually become administrators.

>American post-secondary education IS very high quality.
The elite schools are certainly among the world's best, but 90% of the students graduate from universities that are no better than the average european uni yet still cost ten times or more as much.
There's a difference between the top universities and the system as a whole.

If you don't go to one of these, there's no point in going to university because the name won't buy you anything

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities

Well, in America we use a credit system. Each course is worth a certain number of credits of a certain type, and certain classes are required as prerequisites for others. As long as you meet the prerequisites (i.e. have the required credits, or in some cases have special permission from a professor) you can take whatever classes you want. However, the university only offers a limited selection of degrees, and these degrees have a specific set of required credits in order to earn them. You can take whatever courses you want, but only the ones that satisfy the requirements of the degree will count toward earning it. You can earn multiple degrees at the same time though, and the same credits can count toward multiple degrees, so if your fields are related it's actually much faster than you'd think to do a double major.

Yeah I wasn't besmirching European universities, just saying America's post secondary education is competitively rigorous, even if our public schooling is mostly a joke. In fact our public schools are so bad that universities have in the past several decades had to continually lower their standards and offer increasingly lower level remedial courses for freshmen students who lacked the basic level of knowledge to get in.

STEMfags are pure cancer. People who take a STEM degree because it is their genuine passion don't act like STEMfags who only took it because they thought it would be their ticket to a comfy, above-average existence

>America's post secondary education is competitively rigorous,
This is especially true of graduate programs, by the way (which I realize no one I talking about, but I thought it was worth mentioning). Outside of very prestigious universities, a graduate degree from an American school tends to be worth more than a similar degree because American graduate programs are much more rigorous (for example: a two-year masters degree based on original research in the US vs. a one year degree based mostly on lectures in most of the EU). At least that's something I routinely heard, even from European people trying to recruit me, while looking at graduate programs.

But yeah, basic public education is a complete joke. I've graded papers in lots of entry level classes from freshman that were barely literate.

College degrees are just modern IQ tests since they outlawed IQ testing for employment purposes everywhere but the military.

Some kind of degree implies an IQ of at least 100
University humanities BA is 110
University STEM undergrad is 120
Top tier humanities 120
Top tier STEM 140

Makes sense that STEM people would work outside of STEM because universities no longer try to confer practical knowledge, they just test your tolerance for being able to operate with differing degrees of abstraction.

I ran out of money before I could do a graduate program, unfortunately. I sometimes wonder about the road not taken, but I was unwilling to take out loans and sink myself into that pernicious system of eternal debt. I was lucky enough to have a college fund to pull from, even if it was fairly modest and I had to be creative to stretch it over a 4 year degree, taking courses at a community college cut the cost by 2/3 at least, so I sometimes feel it would have been better to pursue a career oriented degree instead of English literature, but then I would've just been one of those soulless STEMfags chasing dreams of 100k starting or whatever the meme is. I studied what I loved and leveraged the university resources to get me materials I wouldn't have access to otherwise. I don't regret my education, it was a rare experience and I cherish it.

>one year degree based mostly on lectures in most of the EU
I'm no expert on how unis work in the rest of the old continent, but MY graduate degree took two years and I had to present my own original research to graduate, and we're talking a 140 pages project.
We do have such a thing as a Master here, which runs six months to one year and it's mostly lessons or seminars, but it's not the same as the Laurea Magistrale, the local MA equivalent.

>t. STEMfag

IQ tests were abandoned because all they do is measure someone's ability to solve logic puzzles and do not measure other important indicators of intelligence such as creativity/out-of-the-box thinking or social intelligence, and are mostly reflective of a person's level of education. People who harp on them are people who are attempting to marginalize the poor who lack access to high quality educational institutions.

True vision is not something that you learn in a math textbook, but something which transcends logic-regurgitation.

>all they do is measure someone's ability to solve logic puzzles
I agree, that's not an important thing to measure at all.
Also, "vision" means jack shit if you don't have the skills to implement it.

This is just ignorant, it does not require any special intelligence to excel at STEM. Mathematics and sciences require precision, good memory, and little else in order to achieve satisfactory marks. True intelligence in STEM, as with in the humanities, is marked by creativity and lateral thinking in application of its ideas. Thinking deeply about a topic is, contrary to what many believe, not really all that impressive from an intellectual standpoint, as it is easy for any decently intelligent mind to over-complicate something by thinking about it too much. Being able to make connections between apparently disparate concepts and bring logical order to chaos is, however, the mark of real intellect. And you find it in the humanities just as often as in the STEM fields, which is to say only rarely.

>Also, "vision" means jack shit if you don't have the capital to implement it.
fixed that for you.

most people employed in STEM fields look back on who they were as a senior in college and laugh about not knowing their ass from a T-square. Skill is something you foster over time.

>Also, "vision" means jack shit if you don't have the intellectual capital to implement it
FT FTFY

Without creativity you cannot respond to new problems, you can only solve existing ones. That's why problem solving is a big deal in math courses, though it's an imperfect metric for gauging creativity because in the end as long as the answer is mathematically correct the student passes, because math teachers just like math students are inept at evaluating creative response.

>without creativity you cannot respond to new problems
*without creativity AND the necessary skills you cannot respond to new problems
If you can't add 2 and 2 you're going to have a hard time solving hilbert's 16th problem

Most CEOs come from sales backgrounds, not intellectual backgrounds. It's not just enough to have good ideas, or even to have good know-how, but to know how to translate those ideas and know-how into technology that sells, and convince the bank lending them money that they can do so in a way that profits everybody involved.

>We do have such a thing as a Master here, which runs six months to one year and it's mostly lessons or seminars
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. At least in the countries I was looking at (and in the field), it seemed like a normal masters was this kind of a program. A few schools did offer an alternative program (usually with fewer options) that was usually called something like a research degree, or the research option that was more like what you describe. Americans don't have that option, something like the "research option" is the standard masters program. Usually a PhD also takes longer in the US.

As far as bachelors education goes, I think the US system is also much better, at least for my field (archaeology). My field school was run through a Brit university, and the English students ended up getting jealous that the Americans in the program knew a lot more about archaeology than they did. My first year in grad school, I roomed with a Brit (in a history program) who had a pretty hard time adjusting to American schools, and had to do a lot of catching up to be equal with his cohort.

If all you can do is add 2 and 2 you can be replaced by a calculator. There is no replacement for adaptive thinkers.

>Yeah, that's what I was talking about.
If anyone actually shilled to you a master course as the european equivalent of a MA, he was absolutely lying. The stuff I'm talking about may have "master" in the name, but it's the equivalent of this kind of shit: gsb.stanford.edu/exec-ed/programs

>a master course as the european equivalent of a MA, he was absolutely lying
Those kinds of courses I'm talking about all result in MA degrees (or something specifically stated to be an equivalent), except the "research" ones, which are usually MS or MPhil degrees. See:

arch.ox.ac.uk/taught-masters.html
reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/subject-area/archaeology-pg/ma-archaeology.aspx
dur.ac.uk/archaeology/postgraduate/taughtprogrammes/maarchaeology/
universiteitleiden.nl/en/education/study-programmes/master/archaeology/about-the-programme/programme-structure

Those are just random schools I decided to google quickly. This isn't hard stuff to look up.