How can restaurants be improved?

how can restaurants be improved?

My idea is to remove the "tip" field from all "to go" receipts.

that shit really infuriates me, I'm not going to pay you extra for making the food at the already established price

also tipping apps for restaurants that use tablets defaulting to 20%, I usually tip them next to nothing if they do that

when ICO sir? hindi translation bounty reserved

Eat a bag of dicks, in Hindi please

You are correct, sir

>tfw waiters think they're entitled to a 15-20% tip
Get out your kneepads and sweat for it keks.

somehow make me not have to deal with humans

e.g. no weirdness between asking for a table somehow. I should instantly know what is available where, what kind of seats they are
dont make me get a menu dude, wth seriously. What is this.
dont make me wait for a waiter so i can pay. Seriously, im trying to give you money ffs. Im trying to leave, dont make me into a hostage.

nobody likes dealing with people, nobody. Nobody. Being social with random strangers is a meme. Online shopping is awesome for a reason.

fuck the restaurants
buy/prepare your own food,
no tips, no commuting, saved money

This is autistic. Just tip them what you would originally intend to.

>tip disruption
I like it! Sign me up for 100000K Cheapskate Coins

FUCK YES

This user gets it. I started cooking at home and started buying only veggies and fruit like a poorfag. Lost a shit ton of weight, and saved a ton of money.

i pay a fixed tip of 3 dollars

My fixed rate is 2 dollar, stay poor faggot

Resturants need employee side problems solved.

Yes. I fucking hate that shit as well as those new stupid fucking shit iPad square swipers. No you pieces of fuck barista you're not getting a tip for pouring a coffee. You're also an idiot for being a barista

>paying a tip
fucking americans

>imagine this is your life

So you don't have any bars, restaurants, cafes where the staff knows you?

Don't advertise your restaurant as having hot waitresses but definitely have hot waitresses, you'll get repeat customers without the stigma.

do you have pay the full bill even when you get really bad service? lmao

I'm a restaurant consultant. If you want serious discussion, one of the main issues with food in general in the US at least is the heavy subsidies that are paid for certain agricultural products. Food costs are artificially low however those benefits are split between a lot of different parties. In the end virtually all restaurants operate with labor being by far the largest expense, however it is difficult to charge more for food (Ideal food costs are 30% or lower for restaurants) because the product itself is heavily subsidized.

There is not an easy solution to the problem without a lot of change to the agricultural system and government subsidies, most of which are outdated and the politicians involved with them have no interest in changing them since they benefit greatly from them. I have seen several restaurants that have recently eliminated tipping and globalized the additional costs across the menu, however this has only been successful at well established high end locations. Many of those locations are also the ones where service staff makes GREAT money from tips, and some locations have lost portions of their service staff due to this.

You know in most places restaurants can legally pay servers under minimum wage as long as their tips match up to minimum wage right?

It also has to do with the fact that tipping is the primary incentive for the servers to actually do their job well. In countries where tipping isn't a thing the service is often horrendously bad. If you pay the servers a bunch, they won't see a reason to do their job well because they just assume they'll be getting paid the same anyway.

>in most places

only in murica/the rest of the 3rd world.

I think appropriate compensation for the job being done is what motivates most people to do their jobs well. Idk how many people on this board actually have experience as a server in the US but it's not an easy job despite being low skilled labor.

brb making a crypto for tipping resturants more efficiently with smart contracts.
Pre-sale starts tomorrow

Yeah I meant most places in the US.

The problem with removing tipping is; nobody (of value) would do that job for minimum wage. It works like this:

-Restaurant pays everyone minimum wage (this is how it already is)
-Tipping puts the employee's wage into your hands (the customer)
-You tip well if you received good service, you tip okay if you received bad service. You never tip poorly. This is because you understand that there are a variety of factors that go into a restaurant experience. Maybe they were understaffed that night (lots of people call in sick/ don't show up in that industry), maybe someone was new/needed training. The kind of people that tip shitty EVER are the same kind constantly looking for any excuse to tip shitty, and any rationale to make themselves feel better for being cheap.

You don't understand that the power is all already on your side. If they removed tipping, here's what would happen:

-Absolutely nobody of value would serve your impatient rude ass for minimum wage.
-The restaurant would go under in a month because service would be so shitty.

>"B-b-but janitors don't get tipped, and their job sucks!"
Look man, I've been a bartender, and I've been a janitor(of sorts, I cleaned up stuff), it's a world of difference. Restaurants are HARD, and anyone who says differently hasn't worked in a busy one. The dropout/firing rate is insane, even WITH some of them making great money off tips. It's just a stressful, demanding job.

I'm not saying this to be a bleeding heart and guilt you into tipping, I'm simply explaining why things are the way they are. Go ahead,, don't tip. People remember. The waiter, the owner, the fucking mexican busboy will remember. Don't go back.

what if you just
hear me out
what if you just
cranked up their pay to a couple dollars above minimum
i know, wild right?

also I don't need waitstaff. I'm not handicapped. There are some sit down places where you set your own table with the sauces and spices you want, get your own drinks, and I'd much rather go to one of those. They also don't need as many waitstaff because of it and can provide wider options to the customers instead of one-size-fits-all solutions.

Pretty good example of what the post above you was talking about. Servers at some restaurants might bring home $100 in an 8-10hr shift, other restaurants a server can pull 10-20k in a night for a large party (This is at 3 mich star restaurants in places like NYC). There's no easy way to account for how busy a restaurant is going to be and there are A LOT of different types of restaurants at different price points. Try working as a server for a while and you'll understand why the system is the way it is. It's a bad system in a lot of ways, but it is better than many alternatives. There is no easy solution to the problem for many reasons.

I think future generations are moving toward a society where humans won't be needed for small-time business interactions. So I'm thinking a virtual waiter system.

Also I think more and more people are gonna be conscious about eating healthy. Non-gmo, non-gluten, fresh fruit, fresh vegetable, etc...

I think a person who combine these two things into a restaurant and make the plates $10 to $20 would become very successful.

the shifts are broken then, any competent restaurant should have a rough idea of the customer volume per time of day, day of week, holidays, etc

No, not at all. Unless you run a restaurant where seating is by reservation only with limited seats (even then people do not always show up) it is very difficult to do. People's eating habits and choices are influenced by a ton of factors. If you're lucky you can know what 50-70% of your volume is going to be like at the start of a particular day based on reservations. Something like a light sprinkling of rain can cause a place to not have their outdoor patio open, drastically reducing the number of seats available. You can have a party of 12 people walk in without a reservation and then you have to shift around other tables to try and accommodate them. All of this goes completely out the window if you are a quick service or fast casual location with minimal wait staff (like you suggest) that does not do any form of reservations. Again there are A LOT of different types of restaurants, you're talking about an industry where the check for 1 person can be $5 at one place, and over $1000 at another, yet they are both still restaurants. It's not quite as simple as you think.

I fail to see what the issue is. If they got zero tips, they would still receive minimum wage from the restaurant. They agreed to get paid that wage. It makes zero sense to guilt the customer to provide charity for what should be the worker's entitlement from the COMPANY. That being said, I still tip for good service, but those that deserve it are far and few between.

It's not charity, it's more like a commission. Additionally there is variance in how busy a restaurant gets and the type of restaurant and the average check size etc. If it is slow a restaurant owner does not want to be overpaying their wait staff when they have nothing but sidework to do. However if you cut servers or under staff and it gets busy you are fucked.

When restaurants are busier everyone's jobs get more demanding, and it makes sense that they are compensated for it. Most people who work normal jobs don't have experience with rushes at random points in the day, or being in the weeds and behind because a 12 top with no reservations just walked in 30 minutes before close.

It's a radically different industry, and it's not an easy job when it's busy.

Allow me to tip the chef and not the plate carrier.

I agree with this heavily since I worked as a chef for about a decade. At places I consult at I always suggest either pooling tips with back of house or adding a base% of the check that is divided between the kitchen. Pay wise they tend to almost always make less than the servers, except for salaried positions like Kitchen Mananger, Executive Chef, Sous Chef, Chef de Cuisine etc.

???

You just outed yourself as having absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Literally no restaurant on the planet, regardless of how expensive or fancy it is, ever, EVER knows who's coming in. I've worked major holiday shifts where 30% of the scheduled reservations showed up. People (like you) just make swaths of reservations across a number of places and don't show. Or plans cancel. It's something you can't change about the industry.

Wow man NOBODY ever thought of it that way... you might be a genius.

(Nobody would do this job well for 12-13 dollars an hour, either. Start at 25, and go up. That's what you need (and that's what they make) to be able to efficiently manage several groups of guests, putting up with their stupid questions and requests, with a smile on your face. Without all that, people (like you) complain or stop patronizing the establishment. Period. Especially people like you who claim to have soooo many other options, as if the establishment is constantly fighting for the right to serve you.

Look, even entering a restaurant you're enjoying a premium experience. Why do people feel as though they're entitled to be waited on? If you're in a place with a wait staff, and you don't want to pay the wait staff, either somewhere where they just prepare hot food for you (McDonalds), or... gasp... purchase food and prepare it yourself, like a normal human?

Why do people feel it's their right to have other humans wait hand and foot on them?

I used to go to this place all the time because of their $6 gyoza that was fucking delicious. A few weeks ago, they handed me a new menu in a fancy binder and the gyoza was $7. That's a 17% increase! For a nicer menu!

Another place I went to was pretty empty and a little pricy but really good. Except the hamburger I ordered was really small. I told my server this and she says "yeah, its bigger somedays and smaller other days." What the hell? If I go to a restaurant, I want a consistent experience! I dont want to have to worry that I came in on the small hamburger day!

Problem is, the restaurant experience exists simply because without it the master chef cannot serve that many people personally. He needs the wait staff, who is only good at being a wait staff.

It's simply a method of helping a large amount of people and still maintaining consistency. If they can think of a more efficient system for one line of chefs to inspect and prepare hundreds of meals an hour, by all means open your own restaurant.

Why are waiters such bitter whiny cunts?

Go work as a waiter and you'll quickly find out why.

It's not because of the nicer menu that the price went up 17%. It's because cost of electricity, gas, food, wages and rent went up.

Solid post.
And that's my problem? Should it by my fault that people CHOOSE to enter a job like this? Maybe there should be less servers in the labor market so that the supply/demand forces can do their work and adjust the price owners are willing to pay.

Btw, I tip 20% every time unless they literally make me angry.

>t. Someone who has never worked in a restaurant but has lots of opinions about someone who has

Look, there's plenty I can assume about a guy who sits at home all day, but you started this by coming into my work and demanding I change things for you.

I made great money in that part of my life, I actually highly recommend it. For as many of these threads exist, the places I worked, I never had any problems. The cash was great and the work was challenging but fun.

fuck you now I'm not gonna tip anymore

Will only have effects for you, and negative ones. Won't effect me in the slightest.

It's definitely a problem with the system that ends up getting pushed onto the customer. Also it's important to note that the waitstaff at restaurants has extremely high turnover except towards the higher end restaurants. A lot of the labor pool for that position comes from people who need temporary or part time income while in school or while working another job. This is another added incentive to the idea of tipping. I know plenty of restaurants that do pay their servers over minimum wage, but they still get tips. The tipping system helps to mitigate variance in how busy a restaurant can or can't be at a certain time.

Plus as a server you have to deal with a lot of different situations throughout a shift that aren't present in other industries. It makes sense that a server should make more money if they are serving a group of 20 people in a 1.5 hour time span than if they are serving a group of 4 people in a 1.5 hour time span.

>Go to nice restaurant
>Don't tip

What's the problem? There are plenty of restaurants in this city. And its not like anyone will remember who I am a year later if I decide to return.

I should also add that working as a server is one of the better options income wise for people with no skills, education or experience. It also is a job that can be done pretty much anywhere in the world so it gives some job mobility to some people.

I don't expect or want a "premium experience" at a restaurant, there are supposed to be tiers in the hospitality industry. I don't go to The Dorsia anyway, I go to average eateries that the rest of the (((middle class))) plebs go to. I want G O O D F O O D. Why does the thing between me and the food need to be some desperate student busting their balls for peanuts? Where can I go for that and pay a fair rate without having to subsidize the poor foresight of a business owner? The issue isn't that rich idiots shouldn't be allowed to waste their money doing this, it's that it has become the industry standard in any sit down restaurant. The industry standard is complacency, so don't be surprised when people take their business to places where they get better value. Every stupid cuck who runs into a chunk of cash wants to start up a restaurant in their terrible vision and run it the traditional way (see: INTO THE GROUND) because they don't know a thing about managing an efficient business and then the majority of them fail within a year or two. I've seen dozens come and go in my shitty little town over the past couple years. This is a healthy industry?

If they use OpenTable, Yelp or a number of other booking systems they can easily leave a note on your user profile. I guess if you're going to be a cheap cunt don't ever try and make reservations, or they will definitely remember in some capacity.

Also if you worked in the industry you'd know that someone burning you on a tip burns their face into your mind for quite a while.

You truly go out of your way to speak about something you know little about the actual workings of.

Yes lots of people start restaurants when they have no experience or inclination. Running a restaurant successfully is a difficult business to run.

That being said it sounds like the pinnacle of food service for you is Golden Corral, and just because you don't tip your mom when she microwaves your tendies doesn't mean there is no good reason to tip waitstaff in a restaurant.

Yeah but I've never tipped and this has never happened to me so idgaf.

If some pos waitstaff tried to treat me like shit I would talk to the manager straight away.

I fucking hate entitled waitstaff, in no other field of work are their these sorts of parasitic rent seekers. If you want more money talk to your boss or get a real job.

many servers have to tip out bussers, runners, etc based on their sales. If someone leaves me nothing, I still have to tip out on the sales, resulting in me paying out of pocket.

>is this a healthy industry?
no, restaurants are incredibly low-margin. if you have a problem with the model, feel free to apply corrective capitalism and open your own restaurant with brilliant business making skills. if you want to kill tips as a consumer, feel free to apply a flat 15% tip to every meal, the end result to you is the same.

I go to the same restaurants a lot, I always give a fat tip at first so the waiters like me. once they figure out I tip, I get the seat I want, I get fast service, the waiters know my food preference quirks and it just costs me a couple of bucks. my dates appreciate it too. if you're trying to save money, my advice is to cook food at home, its cheap and damn good once you get a handle on it

>I don't want a premium experience
>But I want artisan food prepared expertly by trained professionals
>I want my table set for me, and cleaned after I am done
>If the kid specially assigned to me to assist me and hold my hand throughout the meal is rude or abrasive in any way, I will threaten his financial well being

Dude just stay home and make your own food. Everyone else can seem to get along with the current system, and some of the big boys pay real big boy dollars to have a luxury experience.

And every. Single. One of those big boys tips 20% or more.

This is how deluded notippers are. They don't understand that the system actually benefits the patron. You control a portion of your payment. Around a fifth of the portion of your bill is mitigated so that you can pay what you think is fair to your waiter.

And they complain about not having more of it mitigated... lol the sheer stupidity of looking a gift horse in the mouth

You have eaten something that came out of someone else's body I promise you.

Try letting the waitstaff know in the beginning you're not going to tip them and you'll see the extra shit they do for you not happen.

What a little baby bitch, entitled wait staff? For doing their job? I think you meant to say entitled customer, because that sounds more like what you're playing at user.

If they are all shit then why even go to a restaurant? Why not just cook at home? It's cheaper anyways.

Oh wait yeah that's right, it's because you are paying for an experience that you don't get at home. Dipshit.

Also it definitely is a real job, I know plenty of captains at high end places that pull down over 100k a year easy. I guess they are probably entitled though, considering that to pull that down as a waiter you need extensive knowledge on things like food, cooking, wines and spirits. Like these people actually went to school for it, it's their career path, and you shit on them in more ways than one. Do unto others right? Karma will catch up with you at some point.

1) 5 star dining experience $50-100 plate plus tip plus tax
2) Golden Corral
3) Wendys
4) Mummie's Tendies
5) the dumpster
there's no power gaps there. ok, glad it's been cleared up. There are "only" a few hundred restaurants in my area, I eat out maybe once a month. They turn over waitstaff and go out of business long before I get around to visiting most of them twice. Variety is the spice of life, tipcucks.

5 stars are for hotels dipshit. It's a different ranking system. Again proudly displaying a complete lack of knowledge while trying to tell people in the industry they don't know what they are talking about lol.

>all these whiny plebs getting mad at you just because you refuse to support a retarded system and pay some random cunts wages in place of the company/owner
keep doing what you're doing, my man

Here's the thing about people who dislike tipping; they can bitch and moan endlessly about it, but at the end of the day their gripe is very simple.

They don't like paying because of moral pressure, period.

This is a really self-centered and autistic reason to not do it anyway, considering that tipping is built into the financial model to the point where it's actually unlikely that a restaurant could even be healthy financially without tips, meaning that essentially what happens is generous people end up paying extra for a premium service that whiny narcissists refuse to pay for even though they're expected to.

Literally people bitching that people keep thinking their greedy because they're acting greedy.

>I go out to eat once a month.
>I am unaware of the scale of the restaurant industry or it's quirks.
>I'm going to tell people who spend 10-12+ hours a day serving me why they are shit and how I don't owe them shit.

Sounds like you're the one supporting the retards here user.

I have
That extra shit is actually called their job, if they didn't do it they'd be fired
I'm paying for the food and the experience, and its called the price. I never agreed to pay some arbitrary surcharge and waiters should be upfront and say they expect it for certain services, in which case I can decline. Otherwise as this fine gentleman explains it is literally a form of extortion

nice just tipped 0% I'll be back when these students aren't legally allowed to be paid student wages anymore and you hire on some new ones. Why care about how I vote with my money when I'm a drop in the bucket and outside of the tier 1 demographic? I'm simply making things more efficient by paying repeated visits to places that don't use outdated business models.

Let me try and explain more clearly.
Am I tipped for:
1) Extra services
or
2) Not to be treated like shit

If 1) I wish to politely decline and accept normal service

If 2) then you admit waiting is a literal racket

Your tip is bribery to get you to the front of the line faster. That's it. If you're familiar with bitcoins, you probably understand how miners work on transfers with higher fees first? Same deal. The simple diffrence you the customer have the advantage of not needing to tip until after you leave.

If you read my other post you'd see that food cost is heavily subsidized by the government but in a poor way. In general all of your food should be more expensive ESPECIALLY proteins.

So lets just bump the price up a bit for that.

The on top of that tipping is a scaling wage based on how busy and how much workload there is. If we follow your logic and just build in a 15-20% tip into your check it still is a poor choice from a business standpoint to pay more while your workers essentially do less. This problem is specific to this industry, which is why you aren't tipping someone like a call center or the UPS guy.

Straight up I don't believe anyone here who says they would rather have a flat 15% increase in their check (plus more if you factor in what food should actually cost us) and then say they wouldn't care or notice. It also get's you better service because of the expectation of performance based commission.

It literally gives you MORE control over the process as a consumer than if the wage was just set by the employer.

If you're upset about your wage you need to talk to your employer about that. I'm not going to make up the difference myself because your employer is a greedy asshole. Also why are people talking in this thread as if waiting is a hard job? Are you all fucking teenagers?

wrong, lie, scam.

It is physically and emotionally demanding but it is low skill. That's why it's hard.

>tfw American.
>tfw rich NEET 22 year old whale. (Over 400k in BTC alone)
>tfw never tipped in my life.
>always tip female waitresses/black peoole 0.1 just to piss them off and watch them get mad.

Wow tipping culture really is cancer.

Thank fuck I'm not American.

Although I have seen some of this shit in the bigger cities (Bongland).

Even then it's never a percentage of the bill it's just like yeah fuck it keep the change m8. Or a tip jar or something on the counter.

Just go busk in the street if you want free money you twats.

Bull shit look at almost every civilized country in Europe where we actually have decent min wages and no one tips

At which point do you cast magic missile, you LARPing faggot?

Most Americans think service at lots of places in Europe is shit because they are more entitled when it comes to the service industry.

What is it with the American obsession with service. I want good food I do not care who the fuck brings it to me just bring it to me.

Such a strange concept (tipping). When I buy shoes do I tip the guy who is running around finding the correct sizes for me? When I buy a new car and the guy who sells it to me is extra friendly and just does his job?

Tipping culture is cancer and by continuing to tip Americans are just allowing this bullshit to continue.

In America most people who sell shoes in department stores make commission, so not really getting tipped but there are some commonalities.

As far as the other bullshit idk it's just what the older generation set up as the framework and it's hard to change, they kinda made it that way intentionally.

Car salesmen also get commissions. Performance based incentive.

No restaurant should get a pass for having a bad business model. To "pass on" the cost of food distribution and storage is insincere or a bad excuse for a business whose margins are getting too tight. In the same way people have bought stuff differently over the years, people have eaten stuff differently over the years. If you look at the standard models for restaurants; or at least some of the biggest restaurant entities. They have a low skill training model, and sometimes a long inventory list. Cost of training forces high volume/low cost. Supply chain training is simplified by working with mostly if ideally only national suppliers. More easy to franchise.. etc

The rising cost of restaurants data uses a few ingredients and an old business model to make the argument. While of course on average the cost of food changes, there are tiers to food distribution and some really low cost methods still have a wide product range. To build a restaurant empire its tricky to have mostly different suppliers and offer the same food- or have mostly different food- and make the training protocol the same. While food gets more expensive, the rising cost of a model like this is more the business's issue than the customers. Its dumb to really believe the customer is always right, but ultimately if you have lose customers you lose business status. People will still pay someone else to cook for them.

I think complaining about low tips is a dumb excuse for a failing business. "We did the math wrong and you should give us more money" or "we might have done the math wrong and you should give us more if you wanna safely be fair" sound like losers. Though its surprising how different 'servers/waitstaff' are regulated across the world, a low tip, sincerely, from someone who assumes another regulation environment is too rare to be a real impact of anyone's income. tip nothing if you want and then the world changes that is literally capitalism

paid for by the employer

Restaurants are just one part of the food industry in general which is massive. There has been a lot of old legislation in this country from post WW2 into the 70's that lacks a lot of foresight and redistributed money and resources towards specific food commodities which were believed to be for the good of the nation at the time. The problem is they haven't been addressed and the industry is so massive and has so much lobbying power that it becomes a massive political struggle. Tipping is a far smaller issue than the fact that a lot of our food is too cheap and cheaply produced for highest margin. The tipping also is behind legislation in most states, so it requires a lot of time and effort to change it. The system we have now was set up by previous generations who felt entitled to these types of things. It's far from a simple issue to solve, especially once the differing morals and psyches of American consumers are factored in.

I hope the shit changes too but most people are just trying to get by in the system we have. Other people are trying to break the norm but that shit isn't easy to do in our nation.

and car salesmen are considered the sleaziest people out there. I wonder why?

>third worlders having an opinion on tipping

Yeah maybe when they open more than one falafel shack in your village it'll become an issue

$0

Fuck tip entitlement culture. You get a bonus if the service threw a curve ball and you kept it together. You dont get a bonus for doing your basic fucking job

>tipping

i fucking hate americans

America too, in the essential way it views life and the world, has created a
"civilization" that represents the exact contradiction of the ancient European tradi-
tion. It has introduced the religion of praxis and productivity; it has put the quest for-
profit, great industrial production, and mechanical, visible, and quantitative achieve-
ments over and above any other interest. It has generated a soulless greatness of a
purely technological and collective nature, lacking any background of transcendence,
inner light, and true spirituality. America has also put the view in which man is
considered in terms of quality and personality within an organic system in opposition
with that view in which man becomes a mere instrument of production and material
productivity within a conformist social conglomerate.

Yeah sure, just realize that it will eventually lead to everything costing more.

says the fascist

t. loser

lmao

Bullshit. Tip distribution is only based on total tips, not sales. If you actually do this, you are getting cheated by your boss twofold.

tips are usually a fraction of the bill, ie sales

close down 1/4 of them.
but really restaurant business is hard buy everybody wants their own restaurant for some reason, the industry is just a revolving door of failures.