Best Church Design

Post pictures of what is in your opinion the best looking church.

Preferably Christian churches with pre 1900 architecture.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ItQrIVFlIiU
youtube.com/watch?v=QzZxQSd5yfg
youtu.be/OECph5_yFKQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtube.com/watch?v=ItQrIVFlIiU

Building began in the 1170s, was completed in the 1490s

Also, the statues were originally painted, but the practice of maintaining them was abandoned long ago

>Building began in the 1170s, was completed in the 1490s
Why do gothic cathedrals always take hundreds of years.

Among other reasons, irregular founding.

funding*

Lichfield cathedral

Nice dark gothic design, reminiscent of Cologne cathedral

You can't rush perfection

As user^ says, funding
Though the death of a master craftsman, architect, etc, no doubt impacts it greatly
Then there's the change of local bishops, death of the monarch who may have commissioned it, etc
All of these things impact tastes, which may result in the redesign of an aspect of the church and thus extension of completion time, and capability to build it

youtube.com/watch?v=QzZxQSd5yfg

posted wrong pic

Threadly reminder that pews need to be removed from all cathedrals

the fortified kind

This, Gothic churches are the best

I work next to St Paul's.
>insert Square mile jews & eternal Anglo joke here
Even though I see it every day it never stops impressing me, it's such a masterpiece. And by contrast all the meme modern buildings in that part of London never stop being annoying and ugly.

>tfw I grew up forced to attend a Pentecostal church that met in a rented Pizza Hut before it opened for Sunday lunch
>tfw every week I was terrified someone from school would come to lunch there and see me in my church clothes

the private kind

I love the statues that often adorn the columns of cathedrals.

Frogfacebookers always have something to whine about.

[pic related]
smaller church from the same town

Shame they charge £18 to enter

Why did your parents attend a literal pleb tier “church?”

No other congregations around?

>Rosslyn Chapel Scotland
Holy grail

Pro-tip: say you want to go in to pray. They have to let you in for free, though you can't get up in the galleries or the vaults

>things burgericans will never have

Speaking of cologne cathedral...
(Excuse the tourists)

all these gothic churches posted here got nothing on pic related. Its a tragedy it fell to muslim hands

Anor Londo

Mashallah brother

That's gorgeous

To be fair, there are cathedrals like Heinz or the national cathedral out here in burgerland, though I'll admit they don't have that feeling of oldness and history that European ones do.

Chapel of Versailles

Not a church, but pretty fucking gorgeous.

By far the largest church building in the world.

Having been there I can safely say it's fucking huge.

interior

I can never get over how ugly and squat the facade looks compared to the rest of the church

>gothic
plebs

I must agree and the interior does indeed look far more effulgent than the outside.

York minster
In my opinion one of the greatest gothic cathedrals.

Gothic is a fucking eye sore.

7th century Anglo-Saxon

Gothic is one of the great architectural styles

no

t. The Amish

Strasbourg Cathedral Masterrace

that actually looks incredible for a gothic revival building

Praise the sun

By the time it was finished, it was the largest building in the world

thats in Patras Western Greece

i used to hate baroque altars in medieval churches, but i realised they can work together very well

I know it's not as nice as Gothic or Baroque, but I think Art Deco makes for a pretty comfy church.

Even I like Gothic, and I'm an atheist burger.

Can confirm. When you walk in it looks like the other end of the cathedral is a horizon away. It's fucking huge

Looks like a tub of yoghurt

I love the Hagia Sophia and eastern style architecture in general, but if you built it in the US people would probably think it was a mosque.

It has a certain charm to it.

there's Byzantine style churches in America you know

whew that's majestic

I agree user

Mainland cucks will never have a church straight out from Valhalla.

That's mostly because a.) minarets and b.) the Ottomans built a bunch of mosques modeled after it.

Yep it's fucking massive. Absolutely awe inspiring.
Every user here should go if they get the chance.

Largest I'm not sure. But it was the tallest for a few centuries I think.

It was so big it started the reformation

St. John's Abbey Church
Collegeville, Minnesota, USA
1958-61

Norrelandskirken
Holstebro, Denmark

Église Saint-Pierre
Audinghen, France

Nyvangskirken
Kalundborg, Denmark

Very old too

get out

Thank you.

I don't know if they are the most impressive architectural feats but I do like the look of these.
First one is a monastery in Wadi El Natrun, Egypt.

I would have loved to see a synthesis between the Coptic desert monastery style and that of the mission chapels in the Mexican desert. Maybe this is the closest we'll get to that for now.
youtu.be/OECph5_yFKQ

This is Mission San Luis Gonzaga. I think a similar looking setting may be featured in some Mexican shoot em' up Mariachi type movie or remake.

Last is the Geghard monastery in Armenia.

is that literally carved inside a mountain?

'sup, fuccbois?

I never really understood that Gothic idea of "Let's put as many spikes on a church as possible". They look positively warhammerish

I think it speaks to us on some subconscious primal level that spikes are awesome.

It's supposed to convay a sense of power and admiration. To do that cathedrals need to be stricking in their apperance.
The spikes also point up to the heavens, if you haven't noticed

comfy

Only partially. For full carving check Ethiopia Or Indian temple (so not really a church, but I hope I'll be forgiven for posting it here) of pic related

It doesnt even capture the scale properly. Seems much larger in person. Really worth visiting.

The dome of Florence it's even more beautiful in person when you can actually see the different colour of marble

Art-deco makes for a pretty comfy everything related to a building

A challenger appears.

Saw this on TV, yesterday. It looked great.

As user said, there are some good-looking ones here, and a lot of at-least decent ones. In my city alone, there are tons of respectable churches. But we really don't have enough of them, and have very few grand ones. We're just too new.

This.
Everybody acts as if gothic is the supreme style of cathedral untill they actually see the renaissance style with their own eyes. Santa maria del fiore is truly one of the most beautiful structures ever made

>go to Cologne
>dirtiest city I have ever seen in continental Europe even though Germany is usually tidy
>empty bottles, dog poo, possibly human poo on pavement within sight of the cathedral
>very shady characters on every street corner
>fountain next to cathedral has more cigarette butts than water

One of the most disappointing and depressing experiences in my recent memory.

Imagine being there for the 2006 World Cup and witness literally thousands of English fans pissing on the walls of the Cathedral, vomiting on it, and generally acting like subhuman scum.