Are there any good non-romanticized war paintings?

Pic not an example, obviously. Most of the war paintings I see are romanticized to the point of being cringeworthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cKoJvHcMLfc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Check WW1 paintings for plenty of examples.

>googles WW1 paintings
Whoa, you're right. Thanks for the suggestion.

This was arguably the first anti-war art, from the 30 years war

youtube.com/watch?v=cKoJvHcMLfc

another of flanders fields, also the great war is a goldmine of pessimistic perspectives on war

Google Otto Dix

The most famous one of them all is probably Gassed, by John Singer Sargent.

From the Kansas State Capitol

Anything by Tom Lea

Then there's Kerr Eby

there is literally nothing wrong with romantic paintings

Damn. That's powerful stuff. I wonder why paintings of 19th century battles and earlier tend to be more romanticized, and paintings of 20th century war tend to be less romanticized.

WW1 was the war when artists suddenly realized that war was horrifying. Luckily WW2 came along and made war cool again.

> I wonder why paintings of 19th century battles and earlier tend to be more romanticized
Height of the Romantic period

I've been looking for that painting for years, thanks.

One word answer, photography.

Before photography, most depictions of war focused on the actual fighting. Very few writers were inclined to write of the mangled bodies and terrain broken by a rain steel. Photography laid the grisly aftermath of battle bare in the eyes of the public for the first time.

He can't masturbate over how sad they are.

Another factor is literacy. The portion of the population that could actually read and write was much higher the 20th century. WW1 soldiers in particular wrote reams and reams of letters home, kept diaries, wrote memoirs, etc. Before, it was only the generals and the officers who had a chance to talk about their experiences. Suddenly, ordinary infantrymen could put their experiences down on paper, and their outlook as often much different than that of the officers. The regular infantry typically had a much lower standard of living while in the field.

>Before, it was only the generals and the officers who had a chance to talk about their experiences. Suddenly, ordinary infantrymen could put their experiences down on paper, and their outlook as often much different than that of the officers.