What mythology/god do you find most interesting?

What mythology/god do you find most interesting?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Suns
youtube.com/watch?v=qAJI4gqX3Zg
youtube.com/watch?v=e8JrrYbRrPg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I took a classics class and it was pretty interesting.
Also the ancient Middle Eastern Gods, Roman, and Greek are all interconnected with the Roman Gods being inspired by the Greek ones, and the Greek ones by the Middle Eastern one, and all paganism is somewhat connected.
Oh and while these are fun to study and get into the historical mindset of peoples past, its important to remember they are just tales, and there is only one God/Allah (swt).

I'm generally interested in many people's Myths.

But China's stands out due to the sheer autism of their Pantheon. It is a literal bureaucracy.

Like Gods aren't just meme "war god" or "fertility goddess." But shit like "Guardian of the Heavenly Palace Gate." "The Kitchen God (Who is chief cook in the heavenly palace." Or this guy, the Water Minister.

They have job titles and salaries ffs.

Christianity obviously imagine a man that is the son of God dies and comes back to life and all that that entails about the afterlife
I could never truly belive it myself but God is it fascinating

>Greco-Roman trash
No thanks.

Warhammer 40000

Yahweh

Peak civilization desu.

I like Hittite mythology, it's a nice blend of an indo-european foundation mixed with a fair amount of near east influence.

My own homebrew.

The only patrician answer

Orfic, greco-roman and neoplatonism are a very mixed bag of theological myths and such. Very interesting in it's elements and in how it relates to gnosticism.

Egyptian myth is also fascinating.

And I've recently found Norse mythology to be very intriguing and complex. The same can be said about Slavic correspondents.

It sucks we are missimg so much from Norse and Slavic mythology. A lot of what is written about norse myths was from Christian monks to my knowledge (such as the sagas) so who knows how much it's been tampered with

There is no more autistic a culture as the Chinese.

Having said that, Christians have patron saints for fucking everything as well.

Even their hell has a currency and every year they burn paper money for their deceased. Fucking autistic.

Aztec gods are always fighting against each other in the most metal ways possible. Also the Five Suns myth is surprisingly accurate when compared to Earth's history. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Suns

According to this myth there were 4 worlds before the current one, and each of them was defined by a god who ruled over a different mankind. If the first and second worlds are rearranged, you have a Sun who ruled over fishes, then a Sun who ruled over giants that were devoured, followed by a Sun that destroyed most mankind with a rain of fire (reminds me a lot of the meteorite that caused the dinosaur extinction), and a world inhabited monkeys and degenerated hominids ruled by Quetzalcoatl.
The fifth and current world is ruled by the Sun of change (the only sun that moves across the sky) and is inhabited by us.

It may sound like forced interpretation but it was later discovered that the devoured giants they referred to were fossils of dinosaurs (at the time, when the Spanish saw the fossils they also got convinced that giants existed in the New World).

Commanded by the Moon, 400 (infinite) stars (gods) want to devour the Sun (and therefore mankind), who is defended by the god of war, Huitzilopochtli. Like other stars, Huitzilopochtli fights against death itself to bring people with him in the afterlife. In his case, he only saves the bravest people, those who died in the battlefield or sacrificed so they can join his fight (also women who died giving birth, since they sacrificed themselves and fought against death by bringing the child to this world).

Pic related is a depiction of one of those stars that prey on the Sun. It's hard to understand how they came to such violent mythology, but being good astronomers, I think events like this hardly went unnoticed:

youtube.com/watch?v=qAJI4gqX3Zg
The asteroid that may have caused the extinction of the dinosaurs was 15 km wide, while the object in the video is about half the size of the earth.

Are their any books you recommend for aztec mythology?

Aztec shit is gold. Tescatlipoca > Set and Loki combined

Epica Nahuatl by Angel María Garibay.
You can find it on Scribd, but it's still unstranslated unfortunately.

Christianity

>What mythology/god do you find most interesting?

Ma'at, Athena and Aphrodite are my personal favorite gods. The Moirai have labeled me Son of Chaos though - I guess because I exist to give evidence there is actual superhuman power behind the pantheons due to the fact that this species has poisoned itself with Moses' terrorist lies.

youtube.com/watch?v=e8JrrYbRrPg

Awesome thanks

Brittanic mythology. Specifically: Arthurian mythology

>They have job titles and salaries ffs.
Who is more autistic Chinese or Germans?

>he's not a consumerist pagan
My gods are marvel heros, harry potter characters, tech innovators, and civil servants

Would deities even have currency since gods are born more powerful than another?

Zeus could make a lower god do what he wants cuz hes stronger than them and they cant do shit about it.

Does this mean Zeus is a tyrant who forces his gorillions of siblings to do jobs they dont want for eternity?

Thing about Chinese Gods is that the word "God" is an erroneous translation of the Chinese word, "Shen" meaning "Manifestation" or "Spirit."

Chink Folk Gods weren't all powerful, they were just manifestations of the supreme all powerful force that is Heaven that are pretty much departmentalized.

Which is why also virtuous mortals were apotheosized to become "Gods" since many believed they were manifestations of Heaven through their exemplary/paragon lives. Like geniuses, successful generals, and supreme artists become worshipped as folk "gods" in their communities.

No one can compete with Odin

that sounds very similar to western platonic paganism though

gnostic stuff always interested me a buttload

bump

rape demon, disease demon, jew demon, muslim demon, and some gold shiny guy. not much desu

Are death gods dicks since they literally decide when you die?

They need jobs too you know. Otherwise what's the point of their title?

All pagan deities are based on pre-flood Nephilim giants and/or fallen angels.

Oh boy, here we go.

>>>/synagogue/
>>>/blacked.com/

Astarte.

Combining the domains of sex and war in a single goddess always seemed like an interesting idea.

The Roman pantheon is like if the Greek pantheon got along better.

bump

Is it fair to say that Greek gods were the personifications of the forces of nature?

For example, Poseidon doesn't simply rule the sea, he IS the sea (the Mediterranean Sea, to be exact)?

No, they were the bastardized and mythologized stories of the ancient Nephilim spoken of in Genesis 6 and the Book of Enoch.

Paganism started in ancient Babylon. After the scattering of Babel, people took that paganism with them. That is why all ancient pagan cultures have so much similarities when it comes to gods/deities.

Nephilim sound more like Titans to me

Exactly. The Titans are demi-gods.

The Nephilim were half-human half-angel abominations, that God killed off with the Flood.

At the head of every pagan pantheon there is Satan/Lucifer. He is known as Baal, Moloch, Saturn, Kronos, Prometheus, Belzebub, etc.

Then there's the unholy trinity you find in ancient pagan cultures.

>Semiramis, Baal and Tammuz
>Isis, Osiris and Horus
It's all the same demonic shit.

William Cooper did a good job exposing it.

sounds to me like you are a christian fundi

Yes, and?

I believe in facts and truth.

What's your point?

Suomenusko/finnic indigenous beliefs.

You just have a bunch of spirits and deities and you can do whatever you want as long as you dont insult their domain and they dont give a shit about you unless you make amends or rituals

also if you piss off a bear soul youre fucked

Isn't Shintoism basically the same, in terms of concept, as Chinese folk religion?

Just the name. (Shinto is from the Chinese word: Shendao. Lit. Way of the Spirits.)

But no. The Kami are their own beings. The Shen are manifestations of a greater, universal cosmic power.

Which is why Shinto is often considered animism.

It is, however the difference is that Japan never got the autistic bureaucratic part and pantheon that developed in Chinese folk religion. Japan never got the centralization as Ancient China.
Problem talking about Chinese folk religion is that there are many branches. China got like 10 different creation myths and several different high gods. i.e Shangdi, Heaven, Jade Emperor.

Anyone got some good books on Celtic (specifically British) religion? I've always been interested in it but everything I find is just fucking LARPing from new age bastards shitting all over the religion of these people.

Can we just ban Larpagans lads, they just pretend to follow a dead religion that we can't even possibly recreate because half the fucking texts, traditions and festivals are all destroyed. rant over.

God/Allah/Yahweh are just names for the demiurge no?

In my understanding, Shintoism is basically animism, but with some folky monsters added in. I could be completely wrong though.
My favorite gods are Kokopelli and Hanuman/Sun Wukong. They just appeal to me and remind me of my own lifestyle/modus.

Odin is a fag

Surprised no1 talked about zoroastrianism yet

Wōden

Gnosticism

>spending a few grand on a finely crafted wooden casket you will see for all of 2 hours before putting it into the ground to rot for centuries

why not go deeper, all religions have demigods but why is it only some of them evolved into monotheism?

At least Germans have the balls to conquer neighouring countries. True autism is holing yourself up in your lands like a NEET in his room while the world around you advances and evolves, until suddenly one day a bunch of red haired Barbarians knock down your front door, beat the shit out of you and turns your citizens into a bunch of drug addicts.

Not quite. Keep in mind that Zeus, Poseidon and Hades decided how the Earth should be ruled among themselves. This wasn't intrinsic to their nature. Your statement could be true of the more primordial gods like Night, Ocean, Gaia, etc. But aside from the theogony, these gods don't tend to be anthropomorphized at all, and they weren't really worshipped commonly. The Olympians are more like big powerful humans in most respects than the embodiments of concepts. You'll find a little more animism among the Romans than the Greeks, but not much.

Lived in singapore for a few months (80% chinese, or majority chinese-mix)
They're insane, but it's not real money though. What is more crazy is they believe in crazy pseudoscience and think certain foods and traditional medicine have healing effects and shit like with the rhino horn, grape fruit helps you from getting hemorroids, this food gives you harder boners, this one gives you strong tendons or grows hair etc. Lol.
But they're still different than the real continental chinese, who boil dogs, eat chicken fetused etc. Total fucking subhuman-tier, don't visit the country of china.
Communism destroyed all civilized behaviour they had, which was mostly class related, everyone spits, coughs, sneezes, farts etc out in the open with no courtesy or regard for others.

I grew up in a neighborhood in nyc that was, and still is, experiencing a rapid influx of mainland chinese people. it used to be a decent community, mostly italian, now it's all chinese and I can confirm they are scum. filthy, disgusting people.

Greek mythology is probably the most vibrant and attested. I want to know more about pre-Indo-European Bronze Age mythology.
Baltic religion looks cool too. Would be interesting to see what cultural similarities could be found between Vedic and Balto-Slavic cultures.

>EUROS GET OUT REEEEEEEEE

Jesus

All of them, because why the hell not.

Limiting yourself to some specific myth just because seems kinda retarded.

f

You believe any single piece of poorly sourced "evidence" counts as a refutation of the mountains of historical and scientific evidence. Simply put, your reality and the reality of real people just isnt the same reality.

>dude just let bodies decompose in the open lmao

>Feeding to vultures on a tower away from people
>decompose in the open
Their system made it so they'd be eaten before the body decomposed.

Panbabylonianism in a Christian context.

Similar to Except I don't believe in angel hybrids.

qt fertility goddess

Mesopotamian
Caananite
Egyptian