For the most part how accurate is this?

For the most part how accurate is this?

Map of Joel Garreau's Nine Nations of North America (culturally distinct regions).

>tfw lived in the foundry for pretty much my whole life
I feel like a shitter

NYC is in itself its own domain, including parts deeper in Connecticut, Jersey, New York and some of Penn because Penn is estentially the second NYC.

Also ecotopia should go as far east as Colorado.

I understand the reasoning for New England and Dixie, but the Breadbasket? Why is wisconsin in the same culture as texas?

Phildelphia is a second nyc i mean.

Very lacking of imagination

There is someone else who breaks it down into 5. I remember him making a strong case.

>NYC is in itself its own domain

He mentioned that in the book. There are a couple of places that don't belong anywhere and are so culturally powerful and distinct relative to their "nations" that they're aberrations. Hawaii is another one, and I think Las Vegas was too.

>Phildelphia is a second nyc i mean.
don't every say something so ignorant every again

>San Diego
>close culturally to Mexico
$20 says Garreau hasn't been to either of those places in his life.

I think he's spot on with Miami in that it feels like a different culture than Tampa (central Florida).

Here's a map that appeared in my textbook when I took World Regional Geography in college. Looks like a slightly modified map of Garreau's

seems interesting but kind missing out on a fair bit of NA

but it's nothing like any of the Caribbean islands

Bump

The Mid-Atlantic (NYC, Jersey, Eastern Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Delaware) should be separate from the Foundry

Why does the empty quarter go into Alberta?

Heres the popular meme map to compare

That's absurd.

There's virtually no cultural connection between people in Dallas and people in central Pennsylvania.

He said the Empty Quarter represents an area of vast untapped wilderness, lots of natural resources/oil, and low pop. Density. Alberta fits the bill if you look at it from that lens

As general region it's accurate but there are exceptions obviously. Places like Madison, Columbus or Ann Arbor are not a part of "the foundry" despite being surrounded by it.

Philadelphia is like NYC before the 1990s. Which means it's a total shithole.

Nova Scotians are vastly different in culture from the New Englanders. New Englanders chose to be traitors, while the loyalists moved up into Nova Scotia. The inherent divide between us is what separates the tea drinkers from the iced tea drinkers, the civil from the rebel, etc.

I can only support an Altlantic Canadian nation.

Why is it divided between Dallas and Fort Worth when they’re basically the same place at this point?

You guys know of any better maps that divide the US?

Canadian prairies should be all in the same group. Alberta's main difference is oil and smaller % of natives.

>low pop
>includes fucking Denver

Anyone have that map of America that shows the regions where people are most in contact with each other? Measured by social media contact lists or something?

>Pittsburgh in the same region as some Texas deserts
lol

Why do I feel like the map author just kind of went “okay so mexiamerica is anywhere with a Spanish sounding city
Oh shit I forgot about New Mexico, silly me
Well that would look ugly, just smuuuudge that up

>West Virginia and Virginia being similar in any way

BOI

Main difference being that Virginia is full of niggers.

Tbh the actual deserts in Texas are in the areas labeled mexiamerica
There’s a sand dunes state park if that counts as a desert but it’s barely 40 Miles across
West Texas is more hills and rocks than deserts

Main difference being that Virginia is not a heroin addicted shit-hole****

(you) (you) (you)

This is what I was talking about but it's a terrible version. Anyone?

It absolutely is though, and not just opiates but fucking crack. Especially Virginia Beach, Norfolk and Richmond.
>inb4 muh NoVa
Federal carpetbagger theme park and an exception to the rule, shouldn't even count as Virginia.

Is this some kind of civil war divide? these meme countries would buckle under debt on their own.

Here's a map I found on google.

This is now a thread where we try to find the most accurate us cultural divide map

I think that map is primarily about the origins of people.

And Pittsburgh was the industrial hub that attracted Slavic, Italian and Hungarian immigrants, who don't exist in West Texas.

Rust Belt and Deep North are both Midwest, this map makes no sense.

Me thinks the names are wonky but are the border lines any better?

>This is now a thread where we try to find the most accurate us cultural divide map
wow that took me 5 seconds

>political preference = culture
No.

>accents=culture
no

It's not like any of those places went 100% Red or Blue. It's more like 60/40 to 55/45.

There's more to culture than just accents. Cuisine, traditions etc. Although I'd say that in the cities this completely vanished by now, Atlanta has culturally more in common with Los Angeles than it does with rural Georgia.

All this shows is white rural vs non-white rural and urban

becuase cultural differences in the US is nitpicky as fuck, hell even between the US and canada the only real difference is a few foods.

>the only difference is food

please leave

New england would be perfect if you took out connecticut

Brother, Maine will join you soon

Is this even a culture map?

This. Although it has little to do with the loyalist cause and more to do with culture, accents and social status/wealth. With the exception of Northern Maine the Maritimes are quite distinct from New England. I'm not sure how we always get lumped in with them.

>splitting philly in the middle of PA
looks like a UPS shipping map

name 2

religion, ancestry, politics, language

In TV and music some Canadian stuff wont jump the border but will be popular.

>religion, ancestry, politics, language
none of that has any effect on modern Canadian culture, Quebec is probably the only real argument to be made.
>In TV
tv shows are not culture

The Foundry should dip further south into Kentucky and West Virginia. Dixie in Kentucky would really only be about the Bluegrass region and west, WV split from Virginia to stay in the Union.

I live in Oregon and I don't know why my state is always lumped in with California. I've been to California multiple times and it is nothing like Oregon. Granted I haven't been to San Francisco, so maybe I'm missing something, but the parts of Cali I've seen might as well be a foreign country.

>tv shows are not culture
Then I guess books aren't culture either.

True

You dumb fuck, don't you think there is a cultural alignment with Philly in the eastern part of the state vs with Pittsburgh in the west?

The two cities may be an hour apart but they are very different. Dallas is much more of a classic American city while Fort Worth has a more western bend to it.

> Dakota's aren't Empty Quarter.

Has he ever been to them?

Bumping with this map

>lumping the PNW in with California
Absolutely fucking not

dialect is king

This is the most accurate map in this thread. But sometimes dialect does not equate to culture; but 9/10 times it is a good indicator that people share common values etc

explain the difference

>tfw lowest common denominator english

About half of Florida should be pink, not just that sliver

I live just north of Cincinnati and I can confirm that going just a bit south feels totally different. Having a bit of the Bible Belt creep up into Ohio like that makes sense. This strikes me as the most accurate map in the thread so far.

Beaners

>Tennessee, Kentucky, The Carolinas, Virginia, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana in the same cultural group because of associations with the Confederacy.

Fucking kek, the South hardly has a unified culture anymore. It should be;
>Tennessee and Kentucky
>Virginia and the Carolinas
>Georgia and northern Florida
>Alabama and Mississippi
>Northern Louisiana and Arkansas
>Gulf Coast culture stretching from southern Louisiana to the Florida Panhandle

Fuck off with your ectopic bullshit, Arizona and Utah will never belong to the same as the Pacific coast.

Phoenix should stay the fuck out of Arizona pine country.

Okay Cletus

Mountains need to go more south into Az and NM

Minneapolis is awful I don't wanna be grouped with that place

>I live just North of Cincinnati
Me too, have you done your daily duty and gone to skyline?

I feel Mississippi and Louisiana have more I’m common then Mississippi and Alabama

Bump

>DC in a different region than Montgomery County, MD
>Philly in the same region as the northern Texas panhandle, but not Trenton
beyond nitpicking, I think he overrates the impact of initial settlers on modern regional culture, while ignoring the impact of later waves of migration, industrialization and deindustrialization, et cetera.

imo the foundry should include St Louis

Astute observations. American Nations is a good history book but that county map is rather poor

So far I have only seen two reasons to lump parts or all of California with the PNW. Either they don't know the difference and think "They are both on the coast and relatively liberal so they must be the same!" or its Cascadians being greedy.

Most accurate maps ITT, albeit in different ways.
Most of Kentucky is more closely aligned with Ohio or Appalachia than Tennessee.

All of No America shown

Cascadia would probably be the best to live desu

Stripe Oklahoma with Breadbasket and Dixie.

>No free Deseret
YAMEROOO

Why would California want any of that clay outside of California itself? The only thing the southwest has to offer us is water and for that a trade deal is the more appropriate option. It would be much easier to say "Don't be a dick and dam up the river upstream of our pump, and we will make sure you get veggies, tech, and well back you up in the inevitable event that Texas gets belligerent." Not to mention how retarded it is that we would have so much of Mexico's clay.

No not really.
T. Actually live here

As someone from Missouri, this map makes no sense to me. There's almost no Dixie/Southern/Confederate pride in this state save for the sparsely populated areas near the Arkansas border. "The Foundry" should just follow the Ohio River until the MO border and then envelop St. Louis and go back to Chicago.

>that Dixie
Imagine thinking that all those states are culturally homogenous with each other. Imagine being THAT much of a brainlet

>greater Appalachia
>extends far past the Appalachians

Lived there for a year, you couldn't be more wrong.

> Quebec
Thomas, get the martial law.

>Although I'd say that in the cities this completely vanished by now, Atlanta has culturally more in common with Los Angeles than it does with rural Georgia

Interesting, I have seen this mentioned before. How big does a town have to get before it looses touch with the local culture?

Trash.

>El Paso and LA are a nation
>It isn't normal for nations to have cultural variances

babby's first cultural analysis

This is an interesting question.

It appears that all major cities regardless of where they are tend to be super liberal. Even big cities in a sea of conservatives like in the south.

Maybe the greatest divide in America really is between rural and urban folks, making the previously posted 2016 presidential results map more accurate than the rest.

On a side note, here's a megaregions map I found