What the FUCK was his problem?

What the FUCK was his problem?

>Mad because neptune got btfo by Roman legions

Senate couldn't handle the banter and were asshurt

Caligula was no boy scout

Wine I think. His dad Germanicus was an exemplar Roman. I don't what it is with patrician-tier Romans having destructive sons.

Caligula was a textbook example of a pampered brat.

He wasn't indoctrinated in the practice of responsible empire management and he was too immature to take the throne when he did. If it wasn't for Antoninus not dying for a long time there (could've) go(ne) but by the flip of a coin Marcus Aurelius.

Too much lead and syphilis

What?

What's what? Hadrian named Antoninous his successor in no small fashion due to Marcus Aurelius being too young in his eyes. He didn't want to ruin his legacy with another Caligula or Nero (ironically like Marcus does with Commodus).

>lead

But lead pipes were part of Roman water systems since forever, and everybody drank from them -- why was not everybody else ma, and why did not Rome succumb at once instead of lasting for so many centuries?

This shit is a fucking meme some nobody spouted to get their name out there. Caligula just was raised to have no self control.

Marcus was patrician in his youth though. Did Hadrian fail to recognize this?

He did recognize it which is why he set up him for succession. Just he thought the temptations of immaturity could spoil good potential. A lot of people thought Caligula was going to be the heir Augustus deserved and some even felt had he been groomed properly, as Augustus had tried to do with his other picks for successors, that he would've been a good princeps.

Also Hadrian of all Romans could see potential in Roman boys.

Hadrian recognized Marcus' potential but he was still too young to command the respect needed to govern the empire. The plan was Hadrian adopt Antoninus on the condition that he would then adopt Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus as a back up, groom them a bit more for command then Antoninus would die in a couple years just in time for Marcus or Lucius to be perfectly seasoned for the job.

Then Antoninus had to go and fucking live forever.

Caligula was assassinated by a member of Praetorian guard who was butt-hurt because the Emperor had once called him "effeminate." All the crazy stories about him were retro-actively invented by the Praetorians and their supporters to justify this.

>flattering stories about Caligula are true while unflattering ones are false

I have no doubt he was berated more harshly for something than Augustus would've been, that gossip stirred more easily about him, and that some revision after his death took place but as outrageous as it is to assume everything written by (more) contemporary sources is true, it's significantly more outrageous to assume everything is false.

He earned his ire. It was not bestowed.

Nobody is claiming Caligula was a saint. He was a massive asshole that pissed off almost everybody he ever met.

But the stories written about him filling his villa with lions and shit are highly unlikely.

Not really. His stories are true, it's stupid modern historians that declared him mad. So he made his horse a senator? Made a bridge over the bay to ride on his horse to defy a prophecy? That's not mad, mind that it never was implied that he was mad by historic sources. He was spoilt rich kid fooling around.

>His stories are true

Oh really? Then where are the remnants of this monstrously large bridge between the hills of Rome that he supposedly forced Romans to build? And no horse was ever made a consul either.

Most of the crazy shit that's said about him is usually taken out of context by brainlets. Great example is naming his horse consul. In the context of the contemporary historians writings, it was done as a slight against a rising star in the cursus honorum that said person was less qualified than his horse. Most people just think he was going full Mad Hatter.

Oh look a brainlet that I was describing in my post literally materialized to prove my point.

>If it wasn't for Antoninus not dying for a long time there (could've) go(ne) but by the flip of a coin Marcus Aurelius.

This sentence is hurting my brain

He did things we can't even talk about.

I wonder what Marcus would have done differently with Rome if Antoninus had died in around 145. He was a good ruler and actually seems to have been a pretty decent person, but he had one of the unluckiest reigns of any emperor.

That was Nero.

Caligula had a rough childhood.