Studying History General

Is majoring in History worth it these days or is it useless in the job market?

Is there any careers that you can get that actually involves history with just a bachelor's degree or is a graduate degree essential?

What are the job prospects for a History major with a Master's or Ph.D? Is there any real paths for historians other than teaching these days?

What about a minor? Is a History minor worth anything? If someone majors in some kind of STEM subject, for instance, gets a History minor, would it be helpful at all or look good when applying for jobs?

Does anyone here have a History major? If so, what is your career and how has it served you?

It's useless. The only reason you should devote your time to history is if you are trying to rule the world

>Humanities
>Gainful employment
Pick one

I mean that wouldn't be terrible.

Better hit the books user

and hope I don't get there first

Is this history and world domination thing some kind of meme?

Bachelor's in History, going for a Master's currently. Work as a field sales representative for company that distributes in big box stores and make abt 45k a yr. Not a ton of money but it's ok and I don't plan on making a career out of it. Don't think I'd be happy if I didn't try to pursue a higher degree.

What kind of career do you want after getting your graduate degree in history? Like what jobs are you interested in or aiming for?

no

yes

depends who you ask

Ideally I'd like to go for phD and be a professional historian/professor. This is a ridiculous amount of hard work, however, and there is a high likelihood I will burn out. There are curatorial jobs in museums available with a Master's though, and also research for various publications and organizations which is work I could see myself being happy doing.

What's it like going from high level courses to masters level?

Not terribly different in terms of material covered if you have an interest already and don't just go to class to take up space. The level of understanding you're required to demonstrate is way higher though and your writing is scrutinized much more carefully.

A lot of jobs now just want any degree at all. As long as you have a high mark in it and know how to sell yourself on your CV and at an interview you'll be good to go.

I'm in an engineering bachelors program right now (MechE) and was considering the easy math minor, but would taking some extra time to get a History minor look good on applications since it shows a bit of versatility outside of hard and math stuff that the humanities emphasize? Or is that worthless?

All humanities degrees are useless without a Ph.D pretty much.

You could always enroll in strategic studies when the history department closes down. Be prepared to defend unarmed planets tho.

Well Yang Wen Li could've become dictator of the FPA and he studied history

If you're studying history in a quest to make money, you're doing it wrong.

Because he studied history he could not possibly become a dictator

I'm going to need some brandy for my tea, in that case.

Unfortunately studying History leads to very few actual history-related jobs these days. Getting work as a historian definitely requires a graduate degree and is still a pretty small field. You could maybe find work as a curator or, if you're lucky and have good connections, as a consultant for film/tv that deals with historical subjects. Most likely you'll just end up using the general skills you learn getting a humanities/liberal arts degree to get a more run of the mill job office job or something though.

Actually he didn't get to finish studying History since that program was cancelled forcing him to take strategic studies or something.

Other people have been pretty accurate so far. If you actually want to have a job related to history, you need to have a graduate degree; and even then, the job field is very small. With a bachelors, the best you can hope for is teaching high school.

That being said, it's not a useless degree. Most jobs on the market just require a degree, and employers don't care what it's in. In general humanities majors are employed at about the rates as STEM people, so you don't have much to worry about as long as learn how to market yourself. If majoring in history will motivate you enough to actually complete a degree, it's not a bad idea. The key is being realistic about this stuff, so good job on trying to do some research.

If you're talented and determined you can major in anything you want.

Greentext your best or worst single history lecture anons, whichever one is more entertaining

Not at university and the kicker is with the extra context later, but I had a high school world history teacher go on a rant about how much he hates Russia for an entire period because of the Afghan war and saying that it lead to the level of radicalisation of in modern Islamic terrorist groups. Like he just fucking railed modern Russia and the Soviet Union and said they were responsible for Al-Qaeda and ISIS and thus worse.
Skip to this year and he's a diehard Trumpist defending Russia and Putin and saying we should ally with them because they know how to get things done and posting RT articles on Facebook and stuff.

History is like philosophy these days. You're not likely to get a job with one of those degrees that directly related to the subject. But you will gain skills that help getting other jobs.

At least he had the first Russian part right

Barron?

21 yrs old
History Major, Politics Minor.

Wanted to become helicopter pilot in Australian Army

Any entry-level officer role requires bachelor's degree

Acquire 9/10 girlfriend who wants kids in about 4-5 years. Army no longer smart choice either short term nor long term for relationship.

Now going for Police Force, where my degree counts for almost nothing apparently.

Might one day (later on in life) teach history in a secondary school, or get qualifications to be a personal trainer, as I like to lift and could see myself enjoying the job if I could make a decent living out of it

Meanwhile, in debt $50k to government. Should have maybe done criminology.

Hindsight is always 20/20

regrets.jpg

it's funny because she's probably going to dump you anyway

nope, I'm lucky in that she is insanely in love with me. If we broke up she would likely kill herself

don't be sad man, one day you might get laid and find someone who can tolerate your autism

study history on your own.

Studying History is a journey to self-realisation.

Don't expect to get rich, however, if you stick to it; you'll become a more humble, and enlightened individual.

>If we broke up she would likely kill herself
100% sure she'll leave you in 5 years time