Ouch

>Raised by his maternal grandparents, Yakov joined the Stalin household in the mid-1920s. He spoke little Russian, and did so with a thick accent (like Stalin). Nadezhda seems to have liked him and fully accepted him. But Stalin’s persecution was so systematic that toward the end of the decade Yakov attempted suicide. He succeeded only in wounding himself; and when Stalin heard about the attempt he said, ‘Ha! He couldn’t even shoot straight” (Volkogonov has him actually confronting his son with the greeting, ‘Ha! You missed!’) Soon afterward Yakov moved to Leningrad to live with Nadezhda’s family, the Alliluyevs.

>Like Vasily, Yakov joined the armed forces, as a lieutenant (rather than a field marshal), reflecting his more peripheral status. He was the better soldier, and fought energetically until his unit was captured by the Reichswehr. This placed Stalin in a doubly embarrassing position. A law of August 1941 had declared that all captured officers were ‘malicious traitors’ whose families were ‘subject to arrest.’ Thus Yakov came under the first category – and Stalin came under the second. As a kind of compromise, Stalin arrested Yakov’s wife. When the Nazis tried to negotiate an exchange, Stalin refused (‘I have no son called Yakov’). He feared all the same that the supposedly feeble Yakov might be pressured into some propagandist exhibition of disloyalty. He need not have so feared. Yakov passed through three concentration camps – Hammelburg, Lubeck, Sachsenhausen – and resisted all intimidation. It was precisely to avoid succumbing (Volkogonov believes) that Yakov made his decisive move. In a German camp, as in a Russian, the surest route to suicide was a run at the barbed wire. Yakov ran. The guard did not miss.”

I can't imagine a person more heartless in history than Stalin.

I still can't believe that he wasn't murdered

Stalin was saddened by his death more than he showed in public. There are stories that in his last years he had a picture of Yakov that he proudly showed anyone who came to his dacha.

There is another story that when the subject of trying to trade high ranking German prisoners for his son's freedom came up, Stalin shouted "They are all my sons!" (all the Soviet POWs)

>stalin was saddened by his death more than he sowed the public
would have been nice if he could have shown those same feelings to Yakov desu

Wow Stalin was a fucking cunt I had no idea thanks OP

>Surely the next time we attempt communism again it won't be stuck in a proletarian dictatorship with a sociopath in charge like before.

I like these threads, are you the user that make these threads about stalin?

>The refusal to swap Yakov has been treated as evidence of Stalin’s loveless cruelty but this is unfair. Stalin was a mass murderer but in this case, it is hard to imagine that either Churchill or Roosevelt could have swapped their sons if they had been captured—when thousands of ordinary men were being killed or captured. After the war, a Georgian confidant plucked up the courage to ask Stalin if the Paulus offer was a myth. He “hung his head,” answering “in a sad, piercing voice”: “Not a myth . . . Just think how many sons ended in camps! Who would swap them for Paulus? Were they worse than Yakov? I had to refuse . . . What would they have said of me, our millions of Party fathers, if having forgotten about them, I had agreed to swapping Yakov? No, I had no right . . .”

>Then he again showed the struggle between the nervy, angry, tormented man within and the persona he had become: “Otherwise, I’d no longer be ‘Stalin.’ ”

>He added: “I so pitied Yasha!”

Simon Sebag Montefiore, "Stalin: The Court of the Red Czar", p. 1003

Im not a Stalin defender, but you gotta show the other side. And if this is right (I see no reason to assume otherwise), then Stalin actually seems like a guy who did what he had to in a shitty position.

Feelsbadman

hard choices had to be made

Im not a communist, Im just pointing out that you have to see the human in people. People are so quick to say that Stalin (or hitler for that matter) were just monsters or emotionless psychos. But they had moments of feelings.

You just can't win, can you?

>Refuse to swap your son for a field marshal.

Omg how heartless Communism is truly evil.

>Swap your son for a field marshal.

Omg how corrupt Communism is truly evil.

im glad the old cunt died stranded in his bed in a pool of his shit and piss because his officers were too scared to wake him up.

You could at least acknowledge you had a son

Source, that looks interesting

This.
I hate Stalin, but calling him shit for this decision is absolutely unreasonable and childish.

It wasn't a law, it was Order 270.

You've read nothing on Stalin at all, I see. I'll bear that in mind.

Tankies spin it as Stain not wanting to trade his son for high level German officers, as he was just another soldier and it would have been an example of extreme nepotism trading a lieutenant who happened to be Stalin's son for high level German officers, and perhaps there's some truth to that.

Not an argument. Hitler would have saved his son.

Irrelevant because Hitler couldn't even produce children

>(Volkogonov has him actually confronting his son with the greeting, ‘Ha! You missed!’)

All of Germany was his sons and daughters. He saved them from the Bolshevik-Jewish plots that would have let them to be puppets to the kikes

Stalin built his reputation as not just a man of steel but also more importantly as a man of integrity (he actually was when you compare him with other Bolsheviks who were womanizers and lived a lavish style that is inappropriate for communists who claim they fight for the poor and helpless)

If he agreed to exchange his own son for the German marshal, this could have been seen as major corruption and simony at a time when he needed loyalty most (the first months of the war), remind you that Stalin stayed in Moscow despite all recommendations and warnings from security that it's in a helpless situation, but he showed an incredible valor, stayed and arranged for the usual parade of November 7, this did a massive morale boost to his generals and soldiers, that their leader is not a coward or corrupt who think for his own safety or family only while sending them to death like tsar did for example

What a cuck

>All of Germany was his sons and daughters

When Stalin was once asked about why he didn't save his son, he said "They are all my sons!"

>Hitler was Austrian
"All of Germany are my wife's sons and daughters"

>Simon Sebag Montefiore, "Stalin: The Court of the Red Czar"
>mfw Stalin being chronically nagged by his shrew of a wife

And yet he led them to their demise and in a fit of autistic rage issues the Nero Decree blaming his "sons and daughters" for losing the war and that he's taking them with him to the grave.

poltards dont see him like that

Only because Britain and France declared war on him. He was a Man of peace

Valor in war doesn't make up for cruelty, purges and massacres in peace user.He deserved nothing but a bullet.

So does Hitler but somehow he gets a free pass.

edgy

Peace has varying definitions depending on who you ask.

But Hitler did actually intend to be at at least a tense peace with Britain, he had no love for France though as they had occupied what he thought was rightful land of Germany during the 1st world war. Russia was the enemy from the get go but the non aggression pact was just to stall the inevitable.

When the fuck did I say Hitler gets a free pass you commie fucks.

Go ask Ukrainians and the lower Baltic states what they think of Stalin during peacetime!

Go ask the poles and they will tell you about how he totally didn't (sarcasm) invade them with Germany during the start of ww2 when the NAP was in effect.and then after liberating them from Germany had all the officers of the polish army who were loyal to the old government shot.

Stalin was smart and manly while hitler was immature and stupid

I am at a loss for words

Are Dominicans the new Canadian shitposters?

im the only dominican here, lad

Thats what you'd like me to think wouldn't you.