en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Great_Classical_Novels
threekingdoms.com/
3kingdomspodcast.com
youtube.com/watch?v=dk9MzFD9T-Q
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCldpz_Pc1FrGQLsaxaV0kVPqmXN_nanN
youtube.com/watch?v=dftx28aZ46c
kissmanga.com/manga/kingdom
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This is my favourite period in account of the crazy antics and the massiveness of it all. 80 million died and this was the 2nd-3rd century. The percentage would have been insane.

Childhood is idolizing Zhugay Liang, adulthood is realising that pisha Sima Yi made more sense.

Yawn.

Three Kingdoms is clown-tier history, geared towards brainlets and weebs.

Quality humans universally prefer Spring & Autumn / Warring States era history. It's quite simple, really; pretty much how superior minds prefer the noble City States of Hellas to Christian Roman decline and dissolution.

Carry on.

>herpidty derpity derp, the older it is the better it gets

lol romeboo stop shitting up this thread and start spamming rome vs China threads with your rome masturbation

This
Shu a shit.

Pick a classical text, you 3 kingdoms brainlet. I clearly made reference to the noble city states of ancient Hellas.

I am not a romeboo, I am an individual who recognises that the absolute height of human civilization was, in many respected, achieved during the 6th through 3rd c. BCE in Hellas and China.

* pick up a classical text, rather. Not some later-era nonsense

>when you realize you gotta eat your favorite concubine to encourage your troops to consume civilians so the siege can last a little longer

I actually agree with the troll post. ROTK is pro-Shu propaganda with a ton fiction.

Shiji is way more interesting.

How come moonrune masters never scribed any other books as interesting as the shiji or romance of the three kingdoms ?

w-what?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Great_Classical_Novels

>peak human civilization contained slaves, genocidal removal of entire cities, faggotry, idolatry, degeneracy and illiteracy
I want edgefags to leave forever.

>Decisive
>Tang
>Victory

How do I consume the water margin like a weeb?
I haven’t read romance or Shiji either but learnt them from shitty late night chinese dramas.

You can easily find a translation of rotk right here threekingdoms.com/
As for the others I am curious too, I haven't found anything trusty, and I would like to read the rest of the great novels, especially a journey to the west.

And it was the best period in history

Reading the novels is a drag for non-Chinese because there’s so much cultural context that goes completely over our heads that it starts to read like lists of characters and places without any of the richness which enthralls Chinese audiences.

3kingdomspodcast.com

The RoTK podcast is the best way to take in the story, because the narrator will actually pause and give you context, like why it’s important when a character gets promoted to the head of the flying cavalry, or who the supreme ancestor was. He even does supplemental episodes going into he actual history of the era and compares it to the narrative without bias

>[Ai-Ya internally]

...They did? Putting aside the fact that ROTK is pure decline, and everything that took place after Wang Mang may be safely ignored, try reading something ancient. Start with Strategies from the Warring States. That's terrific fun and actually set in a time period that matters.

Anyone crying for degeneracy calling anyone else edge is a brainlet.

Hox is working on Yokoyama Mitsuteru's abridged manga adaptation of Shiji.

Actually I prefer the Shang-Zhou period.
It is so ancient and poorly recorded that I can fill any gaps in my head with whatever the fuck I want. I have added werewolves, dragons and shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=dk9MzFD9T-Q

Why is Cao Cao so perfect?

>I have added werewolves, dragons and shit.
Pfffft. I added the Xia period.

I want to learn more about Chinese history, including the Three Kingdoms Period, but it seems harder to follow than western history to me for some reason.

Does anyone here on Veeky Forums have any suggestions on books to read or things to watch that will help me learn more about Chinese history?

Start with this. An excellent Chinese series about the three kingdoms
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCldpz_Pc1FrGQLsaxaV0kVPqmXN_nanN

Water Margin is basically Chinese Robin Hood with 105 Main Characters each possessing a weird martial art like for example:
>A cannibal waitress.
>A guy who swims like a fish.
>A guy who has magical putties that enables him to run extremely fast.
>A guy who wields two spears.
>A guy who perfected stone throwing as a Martial Art,
>And the meme 9 Dragons Staff guy Shi Jin.

Basically its less of a coherent novel, and more of a Main plot dotted with sideplots, main plot being the main villain became an important minister in the Song Dynasty, and the Noble bandits led by Song Jiang seek to right the wrongs of the land by gathering a massive bandit-army to rid evil officials, rob them, and give ill gotten gains to the poor.

It gets very preachy sometimes due to typical Confucian mindset of its author, Shi Naian. Like it goes into violent detail how corrupt officials, adulterers, and cheating roasties are punished (pic related).

Daily reminder that Erlitou culture is undisputedly the Xia dynasty

Sounds just like my animu desu senpai

>Daily reminder the CPC, Mao, and Marx is always right because the CPC, Mao, and Marx is always right because the CPC, Mao, and Marx is always right because the CPC, Mao, and M...

Why add dragons when they already had dragons?

The Zhou period is the warring states period brainlet. Feudalism can only happen when the central authority breaks down in favor of decentralized autonomous lords. Local dukes were already powerful by the late Shang dynasty, after all, the Zhou started off as a vassal of the Shang. Fenghao's destruction due to intrigue led to the collapse of central power that defined the Spring and Autumn/Warring States period.

Did anyone ever pursue Lu Bu?

Sauce for pic?

The source provides has commentary which can help.
You do need some familiarity with Chinese history but once you get it, the cultural context is the best part about Sanguo.

Didn't Wu Song, the guy in your pic, single-handedly strangle a tiger while drunk? Unless if I'm confusing a tv drama version with the novel...

>when you realize Zhuge Liang replaced the rice with proto-gunpower

Taiping Heavenly Kingdom is even more ridiculous.

China is just a silly place.

What books would you recommend to learn about that ~500 year era?

>Start with this
>73 hours of content on one era.
Wew boy.

I'm glad that so many people enjoy the chinese history,as a chinese.And I myself prefer the Wei Jin Southern and Northern Dynasties.

That was during the An Lushan Rebellion in 755-763

the three kingdoms period was in the third century

It's a big era

youtube.com/watch?v=dftx28aZ46c

Warring States was absolutely metal.

>The king of Zhou, hegemon of China, becomes a joke even more than before as regional warlords amass power
>China's hills and river plains becomes a massive battle royale arena for never-ending intrigue and bloody warfare
>Former vassals of Zhou adopt Legalism, gradually centralizing and militarizing societies to a ridiculous degree, especially the state of Qin
>Ministers gain immense control over all levels of society
>Whole society and government geared around warfare
>Every fit male subject to conscription and everyone else working on war production (manufacturing materiel, food for troops)
>Land redistributed to soldiers according to battlefield achievements, unfighting nobility stripped of land rights, army separated into ranks based on battlefield achievements
>Application of the law and standardization to an autistic degree (execution of entire families if their fathers and sons are not at military roll-call, imposition of one writing style, precise mass weapons manufacture)
>High culture, trade, and fine music condemned as parasitic to the war effort
>Laws forcing citizens to marry young and encouraging them to have many children to increase manpower for the war effort
>Massive infrastructure projects like the Stone Cattle Road and irrigation systems, workshops, and blast furnaces to mass produce more weapons and armor, improve communications between armies, and increase agricultural potential for more soldiers
>Constant, zero-sum expansionism into other Chinese states and barbarian territory to feed more and more resources into the military machine.
>Peasants conscripted en masse simply replaced by peasants taken from other states en masse
>Endless deportations and massacres to pacify restless conquered populations
>EVERYONE trying to contain the military juggernaut that was Qin
>Despite millions of dead bodies for this purpose of stopping that country, it single-handedly overruns all of China

Is this the VN version of Dream of Red Chamber?

you're in the third century

战国时代偏有趣。

Read 三國志 but not 三國演義 for the latter is an novel.

为汝
Whoa, can't believe my copy pasta still exists. Keep in mind a lot of the Legalist autism from Qin might not have necessarily applied to other states.

Added a few things compared to the original, e.g. regarding the "kill more people to get more land"

China: A History by Keay I think is a good introductory text. Introductory in that it gives you a good outline of Chinese history but obviously not as much detail given the timespan it covers, especially as you approach the modern era, but I think after reading it I could definitely pick out areas I wanted to learn more about in detail and look into more specialized books.

并有问题。怎么下载中国单机游戏? 比如"红楼梦"。

Are there genuinely curious non Chinese on this thread?

Yes, I'm Korean.

How do we know that Cao Cao wasn't black?

Yes, I'm UMA DELICIA.

It's like pottery.

Yeah, White Sinoboo here

Source on the picture?

Not that guy
kissmanga.com/manga/kingdom

>kissmanga.com/manga/kingdom
Thanks, user.

fuck kiss****

Burger here, I love studying Chinese history for its sheer depth and richness. You could devote your whole life to studying a single dynasty and still barely scratch the surface.

It’s like a Mandelbrot of history.

>ask for genuine history books, both primary and secondary on the subject
>weeb shit is offered
The state of Veeky Forums

It was very painful.

No shit

Give me one reason to not be a legalist, don't worry i'll wait

>Not enforcing all important decisions of society into one mega institution

disgusting, you must like the clergy or something

The same thing happened when Yuan Shao was besieging Zang Hong.

You are just asking for revolutions.

for you

>Give me one reason to not be a legalist, don't worry i'll wait
Draconian punishments for even the simplest offences doesn't make people loyal, it makes them fear and hate you, which is nice in the short term, but you're setting yourself up for failure in the long term when a usurper succeeds by unifying everyone who hates your living guts

Without law and order, nothing will last for even the short term. Nothing lasts forever, so the short term gains are the best we can hope to ever achieve.

Tunisian here
China is one of the world's oldest civilizations. It would be silly to dismiss it

I am Greek

but if the application of punishment is too harsh, it undermines the very law and order you seek to impose.

That's why the Qin dynasty collapsed almost as soon as it was formed, and was replaced by the Han, who synthesize Confucian teachings into the legalist mindset. Without morality, law is no guarantee of social stability

Kraut here, got really into Chinese history after I picked up DW8XL a few years back for the Vita.

He killed a whole den of Tigers. It was one of the weirder Chapters of the book.
>Wu Song is blind drunk and gets into town.
>Gets beset by a Tiger.
>Kills it
>More emerge
>WTF.
>Kills those too.
>Goes into the village and orders food.
>Told that they had a Tiger problem that it was hard getting trade in.
>Said he killed a whole bunch of em.
>Gets feasted by villagers.

All I got from it is that Tigers used to be a very serious problem in Song Period Rural China.

The idea of Confucianism is that teaching everyone to be moral will reduce the need for harsh laws.

>China actually happened

Chinese history may just have the highest concentration of wacky bullshit. Too bad that Confucius-era philosophising gradually turned the majority of the population into unfeeling hive people.

>Too bad that Confucius-era philosophising gradually turned the majority of the population into unfeeling hive people.
The constant rebellions for thousands of eyars says otherwise.

Even bees kill their queens sometimes

Everyone will tell you to go read the ShiJi. If you want something actually written during Spring&Autumn/WarringStates Period, then it's a little trickier. Unfortunately, a lot of them aren't really history books in the sense of how Herodotus, Thucydides, and Xenophon present a really good, readable, and broad account of the period and its events.

Anyway, two recommendations for pre-Han primary source texts that discuss SpringAutumn and Warring States history in an accessible and interesting manner:

The ChunQiuZuoZhuan is a historical record that goes from the late 8th c. BCE down to the mid 5th c. BCE. It's basically two texts, the ChunQiu which is just a very simple record, and then a commentary giving more detail.

The ZhanGuoCe is a fun text that discusses historical events as recent as the mid-late 3rd c. BCE.

Also, if you want something short and simple, let me recommend the chapters of the GuanZi that end with the character 匡. They present a narrative style history about the first Spring&Autumn hegemon, Duke Huan of Qi.

All of the above texts have english translations if you don't know Chinese.

If this vision of a society interests anyone, I highly recommend reading the ShangJunShu

Tiger may be refer as bandits or bad people.

>;

Wtf I'm Swedish and this is the first time I ever read on Chinese history, but this thread is interesting

>天啊是個南京大屠殺

>"Chaos is a ladder" of the second century

Argie here, all history is very interesting.
Particularly China. The sheer scale of the wars is amazing.

"Teenage Wasteland" was an unfortunate choice for the end credits

Throwing rocks at people is a pretty good martial art

American here, I’m just reading along waiting for my shift to start

The Qin dynasty failed because of incompetent heirs after the first Emperor died.

And unfortunately, empires aren't run on love and respect, they are based on fear. Implying that a empire can stay solvent without some form of fear is naive.

Yes

Chiaboo

Better to put legal obedience into someone's mind than purely press onto them from outside