Australian National Identity

I'd like to read and understand some of my fellow countrymen's idea's and thoughts on who we are as Australians and what we personal think that means and encapsulates.
I'll start by contributing my opinions.

I personally believe Australia was founded on enormous struggle, hardship and the genuine desire for a new sort of liberty and democracy. .From colonization to federation, our timeline has been littered with endurance and resolve.
A few examples of what I mean by this is events such as our first settlers that weren't convicts, that freely chose to settle in on one of the most southern land masses on the planet.
The sheer dedication to pioneer the 6th largest country in the world that has some of the most hostile and unforgiving terrain known to man all for the hope of making a new honest start away from Great Britain and the laws and regulations that the oligarchy imposed.
To the little known victory of a rebellion of the Eureka stockade (I say victory because the diggers managed to abolish the mining tax and were able to vote their own members to council) that I believe was the beginning of our own sort of democracy, that a foreign ruler should have little to none say over how the settlers make a living for them selves especially when the mother land was only using that land to dump convicts and implant squatters.
All the way to WW1 where we proved our selves more than capable of making a stand on the world stage with no less than a population of 5 million with nearly half a million volunteers joining from 1915 to 1918.
We have offered our young men to every world conflict since the Boer war all the way til today.
What I'm trying to imply is that, for such a young country with such a tiny population we have managed to come so far with ethics such as honor, loyalty, durability and sensibility.
I'd love to hear if people disagree or agree.

Other urls found in this thread:

dss.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/03_2017/multicultural_policy_2017.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=AJKQvHhSs8g
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_New_Zealand
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Australia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Wills
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_legally_executed_in_Australia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_executed_in_New_Zealand
youtube.com/watch?v=1pxvjXll0PI
thewest.com.au/news/wa/one-punch-death-toll-is-much-higher-ng-ya-126952
youtube.com/watch?v=PT331BRkkP0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Don't read if you don't want a burger's input

>genuine desire for a new sort of liberty and democracy

Liberty yes, democracy no. I know that sounds contradictory, but you Strayans have an interesting way of approaching the social contract. Historically you've been fiercely individualistic. I'd argue that in the late 19th-early 20th century, you resembled the US far more than the UK in terms of citizen mentality. Still, you emulated Britain's Parliamentary system over a more open and direct approach to government.

In modern times it's even more curious. You willingly surrender many rights to your government as a society, but still champion individual initiative and try to forbid outside influence, whether that be from the US, or Asian immigration.

OP here.
I agree completely.
You make a lot of good points.
I find that its of vital importance that our younger generation is taught on the founding principles and historic acts upon Australia was constructed more than ever now.
Our cultural and societal dynamic in Australia is changing so rapidly and veering away from our roots.
I hope that one day we can gain back some of that individualistic ideology and become a republic before all is lost.

Australias history certainly has been a surprising victory for egalitarianism whether from the Rum Rebellion and the Squatters to the anti conscription movement.

Honestly though Im starting to despair a bit over the governments concerted efforts to abolish Australian history and Anglo identity and pretend that everything outside of the ANZACs prior to the 1970s was a bad.

I mean look at our national Anthem, there is no anthem more cucked and pathetic in any country of relevance (or irrelevance for that matter) its just a description of geography.

Fuck me look what our own pm said

dss.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/03_2017/multicultural_policy_2017.pdf

"Australia is an immigration nation.
Almost half of our current population
was either born overseas or has at least
one parent born overseas.
And we come from every culture,
every race, every faith, every nation.
We are defined not by race, religion
or culture, but by shared values of
freedom, democracy, the rule of law
and equality of opportunity—a “fair go”

Our country is literally going to be ground zero for the first cultureless country defined by golablism.

I hope so too Emu-kun. Your country is great, and I hate seeing your elites trying to adopt a faux-Continental European model of society.

>You willingly surrender many rights to your government as a society
This is a fairly recent trend. I think a lot has to do with the fact that the Australian identity has been fading ever since the sudden influx of non-British migrants during the post-WW2 era, among other factors. Admittedly our cultural output peaked in the 80s but ever since the societal changes that followed WW2 we've been destined to succumb to the effects of globalisation. You don't have to be a /pol/ack to see this, given that it's happened everywhere. I believe that if things had gone a different path following WW2 (obviously impossible though given the nature of globalisation) we would have continued to develop a really strong and unique Australian identity and retained many of our older values.

>Our country is literally going to be ground zero for the first cultureless country defined by golablism.
Nah, Canada and New Zealand beat us to that. But yeah we're going down that path very quickly too, which is depressing.

Agreed.
Do you think a lot of this cultural abandonment is due even in the slightest to still being part of the monarchy?
Look at how GB is basically committing cultural suicide.
I think a new flag and a new national anthem has the potential to sway more independent and self-sustaining thought among our population.
Whats your thoughts on a republic?

>Nah, Canada and New Zealand beat us to that. But yeah we're going down that path very quickly too, which is depressing.

For a while it looked as if we were going to be a safe haven for those british values of liberty and individualism which in the home country was strangled by aristocratic remnants and which was marred by the racial and cultural divides in the US.

Whats worse I dont see how this can be fixed given the uniform hatred of British Identity and the fact that both the left and establishment right have a vested intered in a multicultural and divided society.

At least we have something which we can look back to. Our cultural identity is really quite strong given that we've only really seen ourselves as distinct from the British for around a century. So in theory it is possible that the current trend could be reversed. But Canada (or at least British Canada) and New Zealand, on the other hand, have almost nothing to draw from.

Since the early 90s, Australian identity is "save us from anything that hurts more than a papercut, or is riskier than catching the last train on Saturday"

This country is fucking stuffed.

Still, we just had a win. Five poofters down, 221 to go.

>Do you think a lot of this cultural abandonment is due even in the slightest to still being part of the monarchy?

No, indeed the monarchy is probably the most important link in reminding people of our british heritage and connection.

What caused this is a combination of things

-The UK abandoning Australia for the EU
-The desire for our own identity
-Mass importation of non Brits (remember as of 1949 Australia was 95% British or descended from the British Isles - which bear mind does not include other European ethnicity.

The effect of this was naturally to create whole hosts of people with no connection to the UK or English history.
-Left wingers who genuinely dislike British culture (see the Gough Whitlam types)
-The desire have a more atomised society by some

>I think a new flag and a new national anthem has the potential to sway more independent and self-sustaining thought among our population.

Absolutely not, take a look at pic related and the flag designs all these issues are about are getting rid of the last links to our Settler and British heritage.

Notice how the goal of all these things is push the idea that our past isnt relevant ? Notice how its always about making it less British and more multicultural?

Take a look at what our Anthem could have been and compare it to the abortion we have now.

youtube.com/watch?v=AJKQvHhSs8g

Yeah it would cool to have the above and the Eureka Flag but I know its all just moves to erode the past and create one enternal multicultral present.

>So in theory it is possible that the current trend could be reversed

But how though, both the liberal and labor governments have a huge vested interest in destroying it. They distract us with boat people whilst letting in a flooding us with legal immigrants

>if things had gone a different path following WW2 (obviously impossible though given the nature of globalisation)

The post-WW2 era wasn't necessarily the problem, it was the late-post Cold War era that really made things tricky for a lot of Western Countries. With the birth of the internet, satellite telecommunication, and cheap, ridiculously fast travel, economic globalisation was inevitable, (which is a net good in my opinion). The problem comes from the West's/Anglosphere's elites constantly fapping to the End of History political globalism fallacy, and using all of their resources to push for it despite it having no net positives over purely economic globalism.

If a Poo, Arab, Asian, Russian, or Western European wants to fly in and make investments/start a business for the mutual benefit of both our countries, that's fucking great, because it gives people options.

When globalisation is used for a political agenda, especially one that undermines national identity and necessitates ever-more authoritarian laws, then there's a bit of a problem.

Excellent points, you've really made me rethink that idea of becoming a republic.
And that version of the anthem sent shivers down my spine.
Thanks dude, genuinely really insightful.

Glad to help, though I hope it doesnt lead to it black pilling you as it did for me. Only once we have decucked is it worth tampering with our system of government imo

Its easy to get people to ingest poison if they think its the cure.

>Our country is literally going to be ground zero for the first cultureless country defined by golablism
100% accurate. Surely there are more people than just a fringe few of us who find this absolutely sickening, right?

>White
>Australia
>Policy

I wouldn't mind the current anthem if they didn't alter the original lyrics of the second verse

For loyal sons beyond the seas
We've boundless plains to share,
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia fair.

And if they kept the original last verse:

Should foreign foe e'er sight our coast.
Or dare a foot to land,
We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore
To guard our native strand.
Britannia then shall surely know,
Beyond wide oceans roll
Her sons in fair Australia's land
Still keep a British soul.
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia Fair.

Also they really should have modernised some of the words for the 1977 plebiscite. Normally I'm against altering things to cater for the dumb, but for a national anthem everyone needs to understand the lyrics and I think some of the words used in our anthem are a bit dated.

>modernise
>words are hard
>muh poor brown hordes dont like the words

Die in a bushfire, cuntfuckle

Its hard, as Australia's heritage is attacked by the two largest forces ideological forces and has an effective monopoly on the education system (which surprise surprise is becoming more centralised)

What I fear is that theres probably less than a 40-50 year window of people who will have that connection to the pre multicultral times and that after them there will be no genuine stirring to oppose the current system.

After them at best youll get the bastards of globalism ethnic identitarains who are so divorced from their heritage they can only cling to skin colour rather than past.

Fuck off retard. You might not want to hear this, but many Australians don't understand lyrics like "wealth for toil", "girt by sea", "Our land abounds in nature's gifts", "In history's page, let every stage Advance Australia Fair" or "In joyful strains then let us sing".

It may seem obvious to you what these lyrics mean, but to many people they are meaningless because the language is extremely outdated. When I say the anthem could be "modernised" I'm not saying cater to "brown people who don't like the lyrics", I'm saying use language that all Australians use and understand.

Adding to this whilst we have some stirrings the right is so fragmented its not even funny, whilst other countries are going right we are going left - and even worse in my home state which is the hidden cuck capital.

It would be better in the sense than thicker bread is better in a shit sandwich as it means less shit.

Its no coincidence they dropped the last part.

Also I should add that a national anthem is pointless if it doesn't evoke feelings of patriotism and stir the hearts of those who sing it, and I can guarantee you that Australians who can't comprehend lyrics like the ones I listed will feel nothing when they sing the anthem.

Whislt I agree with your sentiment how the hell is are verses about how we are surrounded by sea and have lots of minerals meant to evoke any feeling at all?

With the old anthem you at least had the beauty of it and the power that comes from being part of that great nation.

>not singing Waltzing Matilda as the offical anthem

Kys

We're girt by sea
And ore makes us wealthy
So we buy utilities
And hoon around doing doughies
While drinking tinnies

Adva-A-ance Australia Faaaiiir!

>unironically being a Canberran

I don't like the anthem either, I'm just saying that an anthem is pointless altogether if people can't understand it. And before I get attacked again, by "people" I am referring to Australians.

Ugh

>Admittedly our cultural output peaked in the 80s
Only as a result of the mineral boom. It's easy for a prosperous country like Australia to have a large cultural output, but it's been our more round-about contributions to humanity through medical and technological innovation have done more to define the Australian "Spirit" than the temporary results of material prosperity.
Also for everyone talking about "mass-immigration" of people who aren't British, you're kind of forgetting that their numbers have always been outnumbered by immigrants from Britain and the Anglo-sphere.

But then again, this is speaking as a West Australian who's been honestly shocked by how "backward" places like Sydney are when it comes to the age of roads, buildings etc. These places need some major renovations, similar to what Perth has received since the 2000s. A bit of urban renewal can go a long way as far as inspiring confidence in the future of our country (or at least in parts of it).

Just because people muddle up the lyrics doesn't mean the words themselves are too hard to understand.

Im sorry, I get a bit salty and snappy when it comes to things touching on the cultural decline of Australia.

Oh dont worry that was just a joke based on the fact that Canberra was the only territory to vote for waltzing maltida in the plebicite.

>tfw when an immigrant is more patriotic than his definitely not ironic lefty anglo friends.

t. Vic

>Muh Strayan head of state
I sometimes wonder if republicans are actually retarded, Peter Cosgrove isn't British and we haven't had a GG born in Britain since the 60's

>doesn't mean the words themselves are too hard to understand.
Nah, many people genuinely don't understand the lyrics. For instance I've know people who didn't realise "Australia Fair" was describing Australia as fair i.e. "fair Australia".

We're like a watered down america with a few british things thrown in here and there.

op must be 70+ and new as fuck. overhear your grandson talking about Veeky Forums with his mates?

>Nothing to draw from
What makes you say that? What do you have that New Zealand doesn't in terms of cultural identity?

Self respect

>putting anything on the internet
>ever

The Governor-General is only the representative of the Queen. This is basic shit almost everyone knows. How are you this ignorant?

Also, our GG during the 80s was British born.

I could go into detail but I really can't at this time of night so just compare
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_New_Zealand
and
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Australia

Not only does Australia have a far more developed and distinct cultural identity, but it's also its own "thing" while New Zealand's cultural identity is largely dependent on the Maori aspect. You could argue that this simply represents a better relationship with the natives, which is true, but it also means that the ethnic New Zealand cultural identity is less distinct.

>ethnic New Zealand
Maoris are also ethnic New Zealanders.

I meant to write "white ethnic New Zealanders"

>the Constitution expressly vests in the Governor-General the power or duty to perform a number of the Crown's functions in the Legislature and the Executive Government of the Commonwealth... The executive power of the Commonwealth, by section 61 of the Constitution, is declared to be vested in the Queen. It is also, in the same section, declared to be "exercisable" by the Governor-General as the Queen's representative. In the face of this provision, I feel it is difficult to contend that the Queen, even though present in Australia, may exercise in person functions of executive government which are specifically assigned by the constitution to the Governor-General
tl;dr GG is functionally the head of state even when the monarch is in the country, the "representative of the queen" part is just tradition at this point

Not exactly a fan of the multiculti wankfest that is my home state (Victoria)

That anthem is shit.

Replace it with Waltzing Matilda.

t. strayan

Why are Victorians such massive whingers?

Waltzing Matilda is fucking gay
t. Strayan

t. QLD who thinks that the problem is Victoria and not young hipsters in Melbourne

The GG is also just tradition at this point. He's functionally a glorified ambassador whose role is mostly directed and organised by PM&C.

White Ethnic culture doesn't have to be overly distinct for the national culture to be distinct. Also, the wiki comparison is pretty worthless. The Australian one dedicates multiple paragraphs to each sport, while the New Zealand one dedicates only 2 sentences to the All Blacks.

Because we are full of young California tier hipsters.

>"Replace our Anthem with a lyrically-impoverished ambination that jerks off Catholicism, muh ANZACS and muh military glory"
>"No, replace it with something Culturally Iconic"
>"LMAO THAS GAY"

Good one m8

Hey I hear the no vote are looking for public figureheads if you want to stand up

Australia's sporting history is infinitely richer than New Zealand's

For example New Zealand has no historical sportsman approaching the likes of

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Wills

Gang Gajang Sounds of Then should be the national anthem, it's culturally iconic and not about a sheep stealing loser who kills himself

Why do we bother drawing arbitrary distinctions between Australia and New Zealand? They're basically the fucking same

Well they were the same, up until those ungrateful kiwis spat the dummy and fucked off.

Convictism

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_legally_executed_in_Australia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_executed_in_New_Zealand

I don’t think my post was irratating. It’s just a facet of truth when it comes to the general matter of things in Vic.

this thread is gross
>le INDIVIDUALISM DONT STEP ON ME IM A SNAKE xD
Im thankful everyday for the westminster system, centralisation and enforcement for the greater good the current government provides(i.e. no guns)
If i wanted to live in america and be socially subdivided into races and wealth groups i would do so, but instead the 'mixing pot' australian culture appeals to me and the majority of all australians far more.
People here LARPing on the destruction of 'british culture and heritage' need to take a step back, the average australian has the same values of freedom and 'fair go' that their great grandparents have, now with the added benefit of being able to get some top tier thai food at the local shops. Just because things are changing does not mean things are changing for the worse, the way i see it we have the best of both worlds.

>wahhh why is there foreign cultures in my society
>japanese_anime_girl_63.jpg
kys

>because one Tasmanian turbo autist shot up a tourist joint with automatic rifles you can't own your grandfathers .303
Fuck Howard and fuck you

Friendly reminder that Australia's Pacific """"""solution"""""" is the worst immigration policy in the world, aside from throwing open the borders.

Friendly reminder that the Australian tall poppy syndrome is holding us back on the global stage and has for decades.

Friendly reminder that the baby boomers wasted a mining boom on middle class welfare and have priced the younger generation completely out of the housing market, instead preferring to give large tax cuts to people that own multiple properties.

Friendly reminder that the anthem should be I Might Be a Cunt, but at Least I'm Not a Fucking Cunt by TISM.

Friendly reminder that Dusty had the greatest individual season of all time.

Did you have to voluntarly give up your family gun? That sucks.

That would be fine because it's a great song, but it's pop.

Your original post:
>draws out syllables over several notes (something that should be done rarely if at all)
>has a god-awful * A * A rhyming pattern, rhymes 'free with free' in the fucking chrous, for fuck's sake
>lacks grandeur, is awkwardly converted to orchestral
>repeats Australia 12 fucking times throughout, we know what the fucking song is about
>Makes obnoxious amounts of references to god in a country where as of 2016 30% of people have no religion and another 9% went unstated in a census

youtube.com/watch?v=1pxvjXll0PI is honestly something I would vote to have as our national anthem desu, it's catchy, it could be easily converted to be orchestral, it's modern enough, it instills a sense of pride in being Australian without sucking the dick off the ANZAC heritage.

Is absolutely correct. Individualism is a fucking plague on this earth and we should be pleased that we haven't devolved into a multicultural shithole like Bongistan, but we've rather produced something uniquely Australian out of a shitload of people from Britain, the Mediterranean and Southeast Asia.

The only thing that multiculturalism is going to threaten is a misguided sense of indignation that MUH BRITISH VALUES are being shattered, which is retarded because the Queen is head of state and we all speak fucking English and have the fucking union Jack on the flag. Having immigrants in this country is fucking great; if it weren't for them, there'd be no halal snack pack.

>t. Melbourne Conservative

Dusty is a fucking kiwi degenerate

Guns are cool, you poofter.

I didn't post that God Save Australia shit, I just hate Waltzing Matilda

REEEEEEEEEEEEE DON'T ATTACK MY HERITAGE

hsp is life brother

I think it’s a good tune for a late night trucker

legend!(?)
is over consumption of alcohol a good part of our culture?
how will it change in the coming years?

Bob Hawke is an embarrassment and drinking in public is the only reason anyone even remembers him

True desu

Hopefully it stays where it is desu

>is over consumption of alcohol a good part of our culture?
Unfortunately it is.
>how will it change in the coming years?
Hopefully it will disappear. There's nothing wrong with getting drunk with your mates, but doing that in public is disgraceful and an easy way to end up braindead.

It is fundamentally the reason I don't hate immigrants. That and pad see ew

I can't hate anyone who brings something that instills me with a zest for life to the table, no matter how bad a person they are.

Also buddhists are kino af

>It's fine being a pisshead
>But don't you dare go out and get pissed in a pub
Fuck off you moralising cunt

wew, we made counter-posts. let's talk about it a little more.

When I said "I'd like it to stay where it is," I think it's sufficiently intrusive into people's lives to be a part of 'culture', but not to be a part of society. Does that make sense?
>alcoholism
Is a problem, but I think you need good social response to fix that, and I think alcohol is an adequate tradition to have. All anglo australians are Scots/Bongs/Paddies by heritage. The European component of us have lots of traditional spirits and wines that're very acceptable and contribute to our food culture. We're also a very laidback nation by reputation. I don't think your suggestion that alcohol will vanish from our life is very thoughtful.
>getting pissed in public
Is not a problem.

I would argue that Alcohol is not the problem, it's the culture that surrounds it, and that is intrinsically linked to disgusting American culture, which is vain and is probably the source of the problem, and British culture, which had a big emphasis on the drink for the reasons above.

What really needs to happen is grass-roots responsibility with alcohol; not further restrictions. Let children drink wine with their parents at 16 if they want.

>Unfortunately it is.
elaborate please?

Is there also not an economic argument? i dont fall for the moral "it makes their lives better and safer xd' meme, but the majority of our immigrants are skilled migrants(not le boat people) and bring large economic benefit to our country. Not only in raw tax dollars, but in terms of not having a declining population like japan

this
to many american shows and movies these days(atleast from the 80's to now, maybe before?) have kids going to parties and getting drunk, it creates a culture based around it being 'cool'. Everytime i hear someone at university saying how 'hungover they are from the party last night' it makes me visibly cringe

Just because it's part of Australian culture doesn't make it good. My biggest qualm with normalising getting drunk in public is that it leads to lighter sentencing for people who start fights while they're drunk.
thewest.com.au/news/wa/one-punch-death-toll-is-much-higher-ng-ya-126952

>muh one punch
>Blaming alcohol for people being cunts
The courts being shit at sentencing isn't even unique to this, do you also think being a kiddy diddler is normalised now because they're getting lighter sentences too?

I think the one punch issue is being pretty well dealt with. Had to analyse the issue as part of a criminology subject at university. The government actually didn't fuck up and got relevant celebrities to tap into the 'don't be a fucking dog cunt bro' vibe and talk about how we shouldn't fucking do that.

It's still an issue, and you still have fucking legions of police patrolling Melbourne's CBD and Sydney's King X precinct every night, but it's not as bad as it used to be. It'll take time to go.

>The government actually didn't fuck up
Lockout laws are some the most useless and counter productive legislation anyone ever took seriously

I agree, and studies have shown that it's only relocated crime instead of preventing it, but it did shove the issue into the forefront, and it was a politically appetizing move for conservatives who complained about having to hear young people having fun in the streets at a bee's dick past midnight when they're not even drunk.

Although I think lockout laws are pretty stupid, and scientifically they don't seem to do much, the alternatives are just as bad and probably a huge waste of taxpayer money (like adding more police). There needs to be a cultural change among young people, and that's something that will probably start with this present generation of drinkers.

I'm fucking sick of all the foreigners in our cities, what parts remain Australian (white) are composed of the soulless and ideologically dominated nu-Australians. It's not our country anymore. We were culturally assassinated post-WW2 and we continue to decline

What I find most bizarre about assault causing death is how it's somehow worse to accidentally kill someone while drunk than if you were sober, what the fuck kind of thought process went into the 5 year difference in maximum sentencing?

yes, there is a very solid economic argument in what you mentioned, and also cheap labour (if you like capitalism a lot).

Unrelated but all the migrants I know work in working class jobs to try and make a better life for their family back home or are just studying here so they can go back to wherever.

What I really wanted to say was that I'd absolutely be racist if foreigners didn't have delicious tradition and interesting-sounding cultures. It's important to keep Australia Australian.

as if right on cue, /pol/ appears

hows life in the western suburbs bro

I would type you a fucking essay about immigration, social decline, democratic and capitalistic failings of the nation, cultural and ideological globalism but it's 1:40 am so I'll say this: fuck off we're full chinks out
happy? goodnight fag

Just do what the rest of your ilk do and blame the boomers and the Chinese.

Why do you hate waltzing matilda?

Cuckbourne needs to be nuked

It's nursery rhyme tier, I hate Advance Australia Fair as well is that makes you feel any better

Lads, I think I found the solution to national anthem problem

youtube.com/watch?v=PT331BRkkP0

so does Newtown in Sydney; I don't know why Melbourne gets the worst rap, disgusting hipsters exist everywhere

I like it

The ship of Theseus has sailed for Australian identity. With the decline of British influence and entire generations raised on American media, any hint on a unique "Australian" persona is unrecoverable. Hell, just notice how people now celebrate Halloween even though it has absolutely nothing to do with Australian history; it's celebrated because people grew up watching movies and TV shows that showed Halloween. We're nu-Americans at this point.

It's celebrated so Woolies and Coles can make a shitload of money, they'd been building it up for years