What's the best way to start understanding Japanese history?

I want to get a more complete view of Japanese history. I want to get a rundown from the Jomon period to the modern age. I understand that this may require multiple books. What do you think Veeky Forums? Where do I start?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Mh5LY4Mz15o
amazon.com/Sources-Japanese-Tradition-One-Earliest/dp/0231121393
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Start with free YouTube documentaries to get a feel for the content and see if it's something you'd wanna spend money buying books to learn about.

Japanese aren't Japanese, they are Korean invaders

youtube.com/watch?v=Mh5LY4Mz15o
Start here

Aside from the Ryukyuan, Yamato, Ainu, and all the other indigenous peoples that never get fully recognized by the government

The only book I've ever read on Japan is Japanese Destroyer Captain so that's all I got. However, that's pretty much the definitive "WW2 from the Japanese POV" book so add that to the list.

OP here, I have above a cursory understanding. While this is a great meme and good for an initial jump. I was hoping for books with real meat. I'm looking to lay down money on books if needed.

Wrong
Japanese are loser Koreans who left Korea

Tuttle Publishing has a volume on the history of japan published. It's great, unexpected for Tuttle.

Honestly Golden Kamui will get you hard into Jap history.
In the first chapters you're introduced to the Ainu and Russo-Japanese war.

Then start with this

amazon.com/Sources-Japanese-Tradition-One-Earliest/dp/0231121393

>tfw can't find any translated Fukuzawa Yukichi for free
Need my Meiji state crafters.

But then it gets worse.

>sanjuro
My nigga!!

As said, the Tuttle History of Japan is really good. They also published a good biography of Tokugawa called Shogun by A.L. Sadler. I own a book called Embracing Defeat, which is about Japan post WW2 but I haven't read it yet. Worth checking out, though,

Another question, why is Japanese history so exciting in comparison to the rest of Asia?

Persia is cool until Islamic conquest and then it gets boring while the rest are never interesting.

>Another question, why is Japanese history so exciting in comparison to the rest of Asia?
Because you are a weeb, people who genuine think this have never bothered to open a book about IndoChina, China or Korea

There’s a complete blank of knowledge of anything before the Sengoku Jidai.

The entirety of Azuchi Momoyama Period has been romanticised atleast and since the late Edo era.

Have many people have you known that knows what the Genpei wars or the Kenmu restoration is?

>implying anyone on his knows anything about Korea

The History of Japan podcast is a great deep dive

Well I'm learning Japanese and it caught my attention most recently. I have learned bits of Indian and Chinese history. Just gotta work with the fervor you get

Dudes, sorry to break it to you but Japs are a boring bunch who think they are superior to most of you, love it or hate it LoL How would you expect their history to be anything but equally boring? Just read your masturbatory manga, and stop pretending to find interest in lame japanese history.

Why not just read the Cambridge History of Japan, all 6 volumes. Will get you pretty up to date with everything.

>I own a book called Embracing Defeat, which is about Japan post WW2 but I haven't read it yet.
I started reading it but I'm going to wait until I get through Making of Modern Japan before I go back to it since it's more focused. Pretty good from what I've read though and really goes into post-war culture and stuff.

t. Xiaping Deng Yuuzhan Vong

by necking yourself mongrel cuck

If you want to understand modern Japan, Jared Taylor actually wrote a really good book on how Japanese culture created the "Japanese miracle" we saw in the 80s, and the problems it faces as a result (and how the Japanese societal system would never work in the west). I hate everything else Taylor stands for, but the man was born and grew up in Japan so he's one of the few non-Japanese people who actually has a deep understanding of how the culture works.

The book in question is Shadows of the Rising Sun: A Critical View of the Japanese Miracle.

>Implying no other country self-fellatiates
>Implying that means it is boring
>Implying that anyone curious about Japanese anything means they must be weeabos
How can anyone be this retarded?

OP here, thanks. I am interested in eventually learning more about Modern Japanese social issues and I know the economic boom and collapse they had a lot of impact on attitudes so I'll give this a read.

I think it depends. There's a lot of Japanese history I find pretty dull. The older stuff doesn't catch my interest and there's nothing really going on during the Edo Period until you get to the Bakumatsu. Sengoku is obviously god tier though and the Meiji period is really interesting and exciting politically.

I've tried listening to it and I can't get into it. Maybe he completely transforms later but the overview episodes are rough and I felt like I'd get as much out of it by just reading Wikipedia articles.

>being a sinoboo
truly based

>Japanese
You mean East Koreans?

except koreans were always cucked by their chinese masters and were more derivative than the japs could ever hope to be

Why do you have to be like that, Chang? Most people around here would rather be sinoboos anyway if only for contrarianism.

It’s alight Emperor Gong. They won’t hurt you any more.