Is colonialism inherently evil?

Is colonialism inherently evil?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Turnbull_(colonist)
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_colonization_of_Nicobar_Islands
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Not at all. Plus, no justifiable reason exit to have Norway colored but not China and Iran.

Or even Ethopia, which wasn't any less of an ethnically diverse land empire then Austro-Hungary.

Man is inherently evil.

you retards need to stop using the term "evil" whitout having a definition for it first

No, but nowadays it is inherently meaningless.

they were deserving of it, so no. It is the white man's burden to bring civilization to the low-people of the world.

>no justifiable reason exit to have Norway colored but not China and Iran
They had Svalbard and tiny little islands, Iran and China were two landmasses with pretty autonomous minorities. Taiwan was definitely a colony though so i guess China should be colored because of it.

>Svalbard
HAHAHAHHA. Those are a couple thousand Norwegeians and Polar bears dude.

>Norways flag is the Swedish union flag 9 years after the union ended
Thats pretty fucking retarded

Still a colony

It was inherently dickish

aren't they crying for more western aid? Seems like they're just too prideful

How? It's no different from the mountains of Northern Norway except it's across the sea. Also
>Austro-Hungary had colonies
They had provinces except Bosnia but even then that was a special case, not a colony.

taiwan was ruled by japan at the time

Says the snownigger whose people were savages until 600 years ago, and who's created nothing.

>It's no different from the mountains of Northern Norway except it's across the sea.
It had no natives

Any sort of conquest is generally seen as indefensible to modern sensibilities. Colonialism is just an even more exploitative version of that.

>it had no natives
Wouldn't that add credence that Norway doesn't belong to be colored on the map?
>only """colony" is an island dircrely north of you with no indigenous peoples

Yes. Here's why imo
Some isolated societies (mostly African tribes) were based of peace and good deeds and because of that they kept improving until they arrived to a level where they have food, water, families. they stopped improving because everything after that is human greed and will lead to evil.
Yes people will die from lack of medication yes life will be harder but that creates a reason to live for them (do you ever feel empty and bored because you don't have problems)
Their wise leaders achieved that by keeping them less intelligent using spirituality and wisdom. Then came modern civilizations that wanted to help them with their lack of wisdom and new fresh tools. They basically ruined them by enlightening them.

Btw both modern and simple societies are wrong nor right each one has its advantages and disadvantages but modernization requires a lot of time that's why colonization is wrong

Colonialism is neither inherently good or evil; it's simply part of the instinctive hard-wiring of humans to engage in such for the benefit and advancement of a particular group. (Let that sink in.)

I would argue that tendencies created by absolute or even extreme authority - although not always so at the beginning - tend to create systems of contempt and fear that become oppressive, monolithic institutions that serve little functional purpose beyond self-perpetuation and bring only misery to the men ensnared by them. One could argue this is a modern sensibility bleeding into the past, but even then there were many with reservations and criticisms of the system.

In Rome (and other places) at least you can become one of them and they didn't engage in as much shit to fuck over their holdings like Egypt (because doing so hurt Rome). In colonialism it was basically impossible for natives to reach/obtain equality with mainland citizens because that was contrary to the bottom line.

There's a spectrum for conquest and one for colonialism but the latter was notably narrower

Greece was a colony. Now people are saying they had colonies?

>Greece
>1

Not inherently, but all attempts have resulted in horrible atrocities.

So its like communism.

I mean....how far back are they going exactly? It's makes more sense to speak of a Greek nation as opposed to a Greek State. Why not include Alexander the great's empire then? Why not include all the Roman provinces?

Pretty sure those were more akin to settlements as opposed to colonies anyway.

>created nothing
Germanics got off their asses after the Iron Age, the Modern Age had snowniggers front of the pack.

What colonies did Austria, Greece and Norway have?

It was a dick move, but it was inevitable. Which isn't to justify it cuz like I said it was very dick move.

Austria (-Hungary) had a few islands of the coast of India which it sold to the UK (Andamans IIRC) plus a concession in China.
Norway has a few tiny, irrelevant islands and part of Antarctica.
Greece...New Smyrna?
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Turnbull_(colonist)

>Austria (-Hungary) had a few islands of the coast of India which it sold to the UK (Andamans IIRC) plus a concession in China.
Trading ports are barely colonies.

*screeches at you*

>In colonialism it was basically impossible for natives to reach/obtain equality with mainland citizens because that was contrary to the bottom line.
It was pretty lenient in Britain desu

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_colonization_of_Nicobar_Islands

It might be inherently exploitive but it isn't evil or even immoral. You can colonize a land and people, and improve their standard of living, develop their land and educate their population. Once this is done however they're going to want independence most likely. Do you allow them to have it freely, use it as a bargaining chip for lucrative trade deals or military bases, or sperg out and crack down on them?

That's nothing. Look at the nicobar islands today if you want proof of it's non-colony status.

That's the point. You have to be a dick at best or a total cunt for it to work because at it's core being a nice guy gets you nowhere as colonizing power.

Colonialism isn't, but Conquest tho stay away from conquest

>the strong taking there rightful place
nope nothing wrong with it
t. faggot

>nope nothing wrong with it
There is something wrong with it if it involves pointlessly harming or enslaving the natives.

and murdering their culture in some cases

Yeah, since it implies in taking resources from a country and not investing properly in it. It also erases the colonized's culture without even bothering to even record it for posteriority.

Agreed but if you're going to be a dick to me after improving my quality of life to the point where it'd be unrecognizable to my father or grandfather I kind of can't complain too much. The only real complaint would be "muh culture loss" but if I'm not dying of polio because you got rid of it in my country I might be salty but overall I'm better off.

>Norway
>Austria-Hungry
>Ottomans
>America
>Colonialist

ottoman empire wasnt colonist. it was old school empire.

Kipling pls go

>what is Svalbard
>what are the Nicobar Islands and Tianjin
>what is half the damn Mediterranean basin
>what is Cuba, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Philippines and the list goes on and on

To be fair Norway and Austria-Hungary are forgiveable, but the US and the Ottomans were undoubtedly colonial powers. Hell the Ottomans basically invented colonialism.

So basically all of recorded history before the 1800s was evil.

Rome? Evil.
Ancient Egypt? Evil.
The Serene Republic of Venice? Evil.

THE ATHENIAN REPUBLIC, AKA THE FIRST GODDAMN HISTORICAL REASON WE AREN'T UNDER THE THUMB OF SOME JACKASS DICTATOR? Evil, evil, evil.

Shove your historical revisionism up your ass Amerilard. Judging history by modern moral standards is garbage. Boo hoo Alexander was mean to Persians and took resources from them. Waah waah Romulus didn't record the history of Veio for posterity.

Life is nasty brutish and short. Anything better than Genghis "lemme kill 50% of your population and rape the other half" Khan is a glowing beacon of civility in the grand scheme of things.

also Romulus killed Remus, the classic ages were brutal

Oh look, it's people from countries that never were colonized but vice versa, saying that there is nothing wrong with colonialization.

That never really happened though.

Any time you bother a person you’re evil. Lift them up and you’re good. Raise all boats my brothers

i descend from Rome so you're probably not even white if you don't defend imperialism against the savages of the world

Oh yeah, Italy was such a grand fucking colonial superpower (gotta love losing a war to fucking Ethiopia), and totally didn't get assraped by Ottomans, Normans, Germans, Frenchmen and Austrians for over a thousand years in almost uninterrupted succession. Gee whiz, my dirt farmer great-grandparents were sure reaping benefits of colonialism while trying to not starve to death if the chestnuts decided to have a bad season. Fuck off back to r*ddit and take your identity politics and ad homs with you

I support the death penalty, but no-one ever sentenced me to die.

Colonialism is a normal, routine mechanism of exchange between more and less developed peoples and societies. The more developed gain resources, and the less developed are accelerated forwards, while both benefit from cultural exchange.

Only when it involves attacking people or annexing land.

i enjoy living on an island of fully subjugated natives though

Man I'm sure the Congolese were feeling real accelerated under Leopold II

So every millisecond of recorded history? Noice

If everything humans have ever done is attack and steal from each other nothing would get done. Colonialists like to say that all economic activity is based on the ability to kill and steal, but their system wouldn't work if people weren't making stuff most of the time.

Yeah if they didn't hurry their asses up and work they lost a limb

But for real though they have cities and cellphones today, that stuff wouldn't exist if Europe never colonized Africa

Yeah bro Abbos would totally have gone from pre-stone age civilization to manufacturing penicillin in less than 300 years *takes bong hit*

I'm not judging it though. More like disappointed in those who came before. You seem angry to find out ancient civs weren't good bois who dindu nuffin.

Europe wouldn't have developed if they didn't colonize Africa?

Because Africa would definitely have imported that stuff no matter what. That part could only have been slowed down by insisting African taxes were spent in Europe.

Wait a second ... are you saying that Europeans arrived in Australia naked and amnesiac, and in 300 years manufactured penicillin?

There's better ways of going about it than Leopold II though, that can't be hard to see. Take American colonization of Hawaii (largely bloodless) vs the aforementioned slaughterhouse in Central Africa. Colonialism is inevitable, but there's undoubtedly more and less evil versions of it

You're ignoring the fact that those people could not assimilate into those societies any other way. Read things fall apart, it was a mercy

>"X is evil"
>I'm not judging it tho

Also

>literally mention Genghis Khan
>somehow take away that I'm arguing ancient civs were kumbaya-singing carebears

I'm quite certain that certain elements could have been dispensed with. Say, drawing and quartering unbelievers in South America, or the aforementioned hand-chop-a-looza in Congo.

Even the cheeriest colonial empire was hardly sunshine and rainbows. One has to acknowledge that certain mistakes were made, and historically speaking, mistakes have consequences.

Norway had Iceland, Shetland, the Faroese islands, Greenland until the Danes got a hold of it and some isles around Britain. And now they got parts of Antarctica, Svalbard and some island somewhere

>the aforementioned hand-chop-a-looza in Congo.

Fucked up abuses of native labour are very common in that period and Congo was exceptional in the "whoah I beat my wife but never choke her to the point of onconcsciosness" kind of manner..

What was a mercy? The fucked up shit that went on and they sheer babrarity that was wrecked among them and the cultural scars?

You can still judge actions of the past with modern lenses (with the addendum of "they didn't know better").

Are you trying to justify colonialism because of your dirt poor grandparents?
I bet you don't like refugees either, even though, colonial powers are to blame for the chaos that causes refugees lesving for europe.

Someone will be dumb enough to bite this bait.

no one forced that upon them
look at mongolians they still live in huts and have comfy lifestyle despite chinese/russian influence

>I can still feel my ancestors pain, all those centuries ago when he got bullied with an education and civilization
It was supposed to cause scars, so they wouldn't revert back to tribalism. Some places weren't done that too so they went right back to it unlike the nicer areas like South Africa and MExico or New Zealand. If they just lived together then they would kill themselves like the guys in things fall apart because their world they grew up with gets destroyed in one generation and their own people turn against them.

>what it draconian?
all of that stuff still works to bring civilization to places. If their worlds weren't humiliated and destroyed for blasphemy etal, then tehy would've kept practicing humans sacrifices and worshipping diesaese Gods in the congo.

Colossal waste of time. Learn about different systems of thought and how military action/class structures were justified.

as someone from a previously colonised country( though my part of the country was never colonised), No; colonisation isn't evil.
It isn't in any way bad. European nations needed resources. Asia, Africa, and America had resources. European nations wanted to take it. Africans, Asians, and Americans couldn't stop them. It's as simple as that.
A country's first duty is to provide for its people, and foregoing on that duty because doing it would be "mean" is stupid. Karmanyeva Dhikaraste ma Phaleshu Kadachana and all that.
Yes, many bad things have been done by colonialists, but at which point in history, and in which civilization, have bad things not been done at all?
What IS evil, however, is the excuses given today for colonialism.implying that the people colonialised are somehow better off by having been enslaved, because make no mistake, colonialisation, whether good or bad, was hell for the Colonised. the concept of The White Man's Burden is as retarded as that of White Privilege. If colonial countries benefited fro colonialism, why are those countries in Asia and Africa that were never colonised so much better off economically and socially than their immediate neighbours that were? Colonialism may have helped a lot of natives, but it also hurt a lot of them. At the end of the day, they created a net outflow of various resources, wealth, and skilled labour that would never be replenished, which isn't bad, as it was the very purpose of colonisation anyway.
TL:DR we don't want Europeans to apologise for something they don't even have the honour of having personally done in the first place, but to just accept that Asians and Africans lost a lot due to it and not add insult to injury with half assed apologies