Redpill me on the Mongol invasion of Japan, Veeky Forums

Redpill me on the Mongol invasion of Japan, Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MUz539AeC5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=HftJIAiidMo
uhpress.hawaii.edu/p-6553-9781885445131.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The Yuan dynasty tried to invade Japan twice. They failed both times. The first invasion their enormous fleet was mostly destroyed in a storm, which the Japanese called the kami-kaze (divine wind). The first, smaller, invasion was beaten back by the Japanese through conventional means.

The logistic were simply to complicated for it to succeed. They had some initial luck but eventually the Japanese adapted to continental tactics, and the army collapse when the Japanese managed to kill most of the officers when they separated from he main body of the army

By the second invasion the Japanese were ready and the mongols couldn't even really make beachhead.

Korean advisors convinced them to attack in the typhoon season using river boats. Korea saved Japan.

Redpill me on William Adams, Veeky Forums.

Two things you need to know about it:

The kamikazes have had their role significantly exaggerated and there's evidence that the first kamikaze never even happened and was an invention of pro-Mongol historians.

The scale has also probably been exaggerated.; if the second invasion really did have 140,000 men it would've been the largest amphibious invasion in history prior to WW2, which is obviously absurd.

L=That game is basically a lame ass Onimusha copy

The master race was blessed by divine winds and slaughter the subhuman invaders like flies

Not sure if bait

Korean generals tried to warn of typhoons as many in the invasion force were Korean, but the Mongols went ahead with it anyways

Holy shit, a game about the Mongol invasions of Japan? Literally my dream game, even posted a brief description of my ideal Veeky Forums game in an earlier thread:

>Levels include manning three-meter high beach fortifications against waves of Yuan infantry, an epic sea battle against the Mongol fleet where you serve under Suenaga Takesaki, making stealthy night raids on to Mongol ships in your little rowboat to take them over, and participating in the chaotic and enormous orgy of slaughter at Taka Island.

What's the genre and when does it come out?

>What's the genre and when does it come out?

Open-World Stealth Action-Adventure. Not much is known about the game. It will likely come out Q3/Q4 next year. It is being made by the creators of Sly Cooper and inFamous, both of which had great gameplay.

youtube.com/watch?v=MUz539AeC5Y

follow up video

youtube.com/watch?v=HftJIAiidMo

How big of an event is this in Japanese history? Did the event have any influence on future historical figures like nobunaga or did it influence Japan's point of view on China and Korea?

Any good documentaries on it?

Too bad none of those thing will actually happen in the game its all just gonna be a lazy Batman clone

>lazy Batman clone

Honestly it looks more like Red Dead Redemption: Samurai edition than anything.

WE

Wars in Asia have larger numbers. Asia was always more densely populated than other areas.
There are 100 cities with a population larger than 1 million in China. The population of Japan nowadays is 120mi people. The population of Germany+France is 150mi people.

So, wars in Asia did have larger numbers than those in Europe.

Most military actions were small in Japan at the time, and this was the largest mobilization since the Genpai war.

Paying for the mobilization of such a large force probably destabilized the shogunate

Part of this is because warriors wanted to be paid in land but of course after repelling an invasion there was no new land to give.

The size of the Japanese army used to fight off the first invasion is reliably estimated by contemporary documentation and modern historians as between 2,000 and 6,000 men. Even accounting for the fact that they had the defensive advantage, attempting to oppose the Mongols would be laughable if they truly had the 23,000 soldiers the Yuanshi claims they had.

Who would win:
>the largest empire in the world with millions of men and horses at their disposal
>a fucking breeze

alternatively:
>a bunch of drunk slavs

>English guy who ended up in Japan with the Dutch
>befriends Tokugawa using superior Anglo persuasion
>showed the Japs how to make ships that aren't dogshit (since his trade was shipbuilding)
>they gave him a new name "Anjin Miura" (presumably because they got sick of trying to pronounce William)
>he basically becomes the foreign advisor to Tokugawa
>made a samurai for his service
>given a load of land with servants
>the Japanese announce that William Adams is dead because they don't want him to leave
>he marries a qt patootie Japanese woman, literally living the weeb dream
>oh yeah he had a wife back in England lel
>English sailors arrive a few years later
>"If you want to go home we can sneak you onto the ship and take you back to England"
>"Why the fuck would I want that? Here's some money, please make sure my wife in England gets it"
>spends the rest of his life in an anime

Basically, he lived the dream.

>>a bunch of drunk slavs
???
Japanese aren't Slavs.

>the first kamikaze never even happened and was an invention of pro-Mongol historians.
The name itself was an invention of Japanese historians, you fucking idiot.

Namely the Monks who wanted to emphasize the spiritual aspect of the victory as opposed to the military side.

>The name itself was an invention of Japanese historians, you fucking idiot.
No it wasn't, that was the second invasion. No contemporary Japanese source mentions a typhoon during the first; AT MOST rough winds are mentioned, but no mention of a giant-ass storm that destroyed an entire fleet. Zilch. Nada. Go looking for a reference, you won't find it anywhere. Even the Hachiman gudo kun, otherwise devoted to finding a miracle at every possible opportunity, makes no mention of storms.

Not the user you're responding to but
>hachiman gudo kun
Great source, haven't read about this before, provides some interesting context to the period and supports your point well.

The sword is is shown with is kinda wrong for that period, longer tachi with a deeper curve were in style during the Mongolian invasion, The armor also appears to be of the sengoku or edo variety rather than the more boxy armor worn at the time

I'm pretty sure they're going for the (((stylized))) side of videogames rather than something truly authentic. I'll still check it out though, I liked the Infamous games and this might satisfy my autistic weeb fantasies of teleporting behind mongol fucking shits and slicing them down with my katanah.

this made me laugh. thanks, user

Plebs don't know anything about Nip swords save for the Katana.

>tfw ywn be William Adams

the man
the myth
the legend

It failed spectacularly

He actually did live a fairly interesting life.

>The scale has also probably been exaggerated.; if the second invasion really did have 140,000 men it would've been the largest amphibious invasion in history prior to WW2, which is obviously absurd.

Armies in China/Japan were insanely large, even back then.

Honestly I could believe it if only because the Mongols never could get the hang of sea warfare, so all the Japs had to do was attack them at sea.

Armies in Japan could be large, during full scale wars, but they were generally small,

China had huge armies, but like many societies fudged some of the numbers

Japanese efforts to fortify every single fishing village and potential landing site between the first and second invasion worked quite well, while at the same time completely bankrupting the country.

Nice stroke of brush there. If the Chinese numbers are historical official numbers and have been largely consistent throughout its entire 2000+ years of written history, the fudging is probably on your assumption. There are periods of europeans/arabic/japanese/koreans collaborating with the numbers at different times.

No professional historian takes premondern troop numbers at face value

AND ONE DAY IN NEW YORK CITY BABY
A GIRL FELL FROM THE SKYYY
FROM THE TOP OF A BURNING APARTMENT BUILDING FOURTEEN STORIES HIGHHHHHHHHH
AND WHEN HER SPIRIT LEFT HER BODY
HOW IT SPLIT THE SUNNNNN
I KNOW THAT SHE WILL LIVE FOREVER
ALL GOES ON AND ON AND ONNNNNNNN

SHE GOES
AND NOW SHE KNOWS SHE'LL NEVER BE AFRAIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

>Paying for the mobilization of such a large force probably destabilized the shogunate
The absolute state of Feudalism.

This.

A war would break out and they'd mobilise all the men in the town, the population of the town would be 10,000 before the war. After the war they would come back to the town and if nobody was there they'd be like "Guess all 10,000 died in the battle" when in reality they will have just moved elsewhere because of the fighting.

>what’s a centralised Government
>what’s a professional standing army

How accurate are the weapons and armor depicted in that game?

see

Thanks. I knew it looked kind of off. Looked closer to Sengoku period than the 1200's.

A lot of armies in medieval Europe were also consistently said to number in the hundreds of thousands, doesn't make those accounts accurate.

what a fucking boss

Vietnam Saved Korea multiple times on how to defeat the Mongolians, But when our prince died of old age, The Koreans got pummeled by them. Research "Lee" surname in Korea.

Except Eurobenis feudal system couldn't support the same numbers a large centralized empire could.

>Open-World Stealth Action-Adventure
never has a phrase deflated my excitement so effectively

Why? That fits the description for Metal Gear Solid V. Other than the fact it was forced to stop development haflway through, it was a masterpiece, a flawed masterpiece.

This, it basically sounds like a samurai version of Metal Gear Solid 5 except this time the game will actually be finished because Sucker Punch weren't rushed like Kojima

I think he was referring to Russia or Poland as a situation similar to that of Japan.

I'm currently listening to that album.

Something that doesn't exist in feudal societies?

They invaded and died in a tornado, then they tried again and died in a tornado and they never tried again afterward.

>China
>Feudal

>Japanese game set in Japan
BLEACHED

>Redpill me on the Mongol invasion of Japan, Veeky Forums.

Bad weather cancelled it both times.
If the taxi service had worked out, the conquest would've been a technicality.

That's completely wrong.

uhpress.hawaii.edu/p-6553-9781885445131.aspx

Y'all need to read Shogun by James "The Asiaboo" Clavell. Until now, I'm liking the book. Kind of romancey on some parts, but you get over it.

china was totally feudal at many points in its history, but it was certainly one of the best organized empires too

William in that game doesn't bang any qt Nippon girls though, he's on a quest to save his spirit waifu, Saoirse