What is the main difference between the Eastern orthodox and catholicism

Other urls found in this thread:

stgeorgegoc.org/pastors-corner/divorce/divorce-in-the-orthodox-church
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Jews
not Jews

Eastern Orthofags don't have the gospel itself telling them their apostolic patriarch was chosen by Christ to bear his church on earth

The same difference as the left leg and the right leg on a statue.

Neither do the Catholics. They just pretend they do.

Doctrine? the Filioque
But more or less Orthodoxy tends to focus on mysticism, while (Roman) Catholicism focuses on philosophy.
Catholicism has had Eastern Rites since the Schism that do what Orthodoxy does but with the Pope and Filioque, while Orthodoxy only recently been making parishes that celebrate Mass instead of Liturgy for the West.

This. Neither one of them has a clue who the Holy Spirit is, because neither one of them has any part of the Holy Spirit of God.

Both are doing their own thing, without God at all.

Filioque

Also:

Catholicism = The Pope is the Boss.
Orthodox Church = The Pope is the first among equals.

I was baptised under the orthodox but I never understood what that really meant compared to people I know who were baptised by the Catholic church or any protestant church my question really is are there any different practices in them?

Literally just this

OK this might sound stupid but I thought they are all god anyway so why is the fact that the Holy spirit comes from both the father and son so intensively important to separate both churches and in some cases cause hate between them?

Thats not what I said at all
The Filioque is a doctrine on the Holy Spirit as well, so I don't know what you're getting at.

O OK I see nvm

Before Vatican II the Church didn't allow divorce while the Orthodox allow ( I don't know since when)

>Yet, the Orthodox Church also recognizes that sometimes the spiritual well-being of Christians caught in a broken and essentially nonexistent marriage justifies a divorce, with the right of one or both of the partners to remarry.
stgeorgegoc.org/pastors-corner/divorce/divorce-in-the-orthodox-church

I also believe purgatory is rejected by Orthodox Church

When it comes to priest marriage, some Eastern Catholic rites allow marriage, the Roman doesn't. I'm not sure if all Orthodox allow marriage either, I believe some Bishops aren't allowed.

Vatican I defined Papal Infallibility(which you can go back to first council and define what was ex cathedra)
Orthodox reject papal infallibility. In fact orthodox reject unity with the roman bishop and roman bishop reject unity with the orthodox patriarch

Neither side knows that the Holy Spirit is a person.

Do you now understand?

Gee, what a terrifically difficult case to make:

John 20:22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit.

Wow, that was really difficult. It took like 2 minutes to find that verse.

And this has been a contrived controversy for how long, again?

"But the Catholic faith is this, that we worship one God in the Trinity, and the Trinity in unity; neither confounding the persons, nor dividing the substance; for there is one person of the Father, another of the Son, another of the Holy Spirit, their glory is equal, their majesty coeternal…and in this Trinity there is nothing first or later, nothing greater or less, but all three persons are coeternal and coequal with one another, so that in every respect, as has already been said above, both unity in Trinity, and Trinity in unity must be worshipped. Therefore let him who wishes to be saved, think thus concerning the Trinity."

Catholic:
There is one God in Three Divine Persons (Father, Son and Holy Ghost). The Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Ghost is God; yet they are not three gods, but One God. The Second Person of the Blessed Trinity, the Son of God, assumed a human nature and became man from the flesh of the Virgin Mary. Our Lord Jesus Christ is one Divine Person with two natures: divine and human. He is God and man. The Trinity (One God: Father, Son and Holy Ghost) and the Incarnation are the two most essential mysteries of the Catholic Faith which no one above reason can be ignorant of and be saved.

>Before Vatican II the Church didn't allow divorce

It still doesn't.

they do allow now

And yet the bible does.

The more I read I am starting to believe that I have been thought catholicism while I was a child even though I was baptised under the orthodox

>assumed a human nature and became man from the flesh of the Virgin Mary

Literal antichrists.

1 John
By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.

That's because there isn't a pinch of shit of difference between them.

>1 John
Literally the same thing
He became human man (his one nature) from the flesh of Virgin Mary
> Our Lord Jesus Christ is one Divine Person with two natures: divine and human. He is God and man.

autism
they split over politics

Yes, that's what the antichrist says.

The bible says he came down from heaven in the flesh.

You think Jesus needed Mary in order to become flesh, which is why you worship Mary as the Mother of God, and which is why you're going to hell.

>with two natures

More heresy.

Enjoy never agreeing about God Christcuck.

user you are a literal autist

>And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world
It's saying those who reject Jesus is the Son of God you autist

>Protestants hate Mary because they want to please jews
>They forget the Ecumenical Councils they accept Early Fathers venerated Mary and the early fathers Luther quoted also venerated her
the absolute state of Martin Lutherists

OK first of all the antichrist is the son of satanic right? Satan got bitch slapped by God so hard he lost his wings right? If Jesus is God and the antichrist is an equivalent to Satan why are people worried about him wouldn't he just be bitch slapped again?

Enjoy never agreeing with God, lost one.

Jesus came down from heaven.

He was not like you, all non-existent prior to his conception.

Get right with God, and hurry.

Christians love Mary. We just don't worship the Whore of Babylon and call her Mary.

Luther says
>We too know very well that God did not derive his divinity from Mary; but it does not follow that it is therefore wrong to say that God was born of Mary, that God is Mary’s Son, and that Mary is God’s mother.
>Mary is God’s mother.
>Mary is God’s mother.
>Mary is God’s mother.
Why do modern lutherans don't agree with Luther?

No, he's a human being eventually possessed by satan, like Judas was a human being eventually possessed by satan.

Nothing physically changed when satan lost his coup and was thrown from heaven. He still looks like a beautiful angel of light. Angels can modify their appearance; I'm unaware of any limitation to this. They can look like 6 winged angels, and they can look like human beings, and even breed with human beings.

satan is not the equivalent of God; Michael the archangel is the equivalent of satan. God towers over all.

satan will be bitch slapped, once for a thousand years, and then once for eternity, where he will forever be in pain, and on fire.

Because Luther was a catholic, and no serious christian ever takes the catholic view of anything in the bible.

>a fucking triangle

Exactly my point so the antichrist weaker or stronger than satan if he is the same or weaker he should not be compared to Jesus, because there is no reason to compare God to something potentially far weaker than him.

>yfw there is not a single protestant doctrine and teach formulated by someone who wasn't raised as Catholic

Is there any single fedora that actually believes protestants purified Christianity or that you can be a Christian rejecting Catholicism?

The main difference is that the pope washes muslim feet. Everything else is theological minutiae.

>Why do modern lutherans don't agree with Luther?
Confessional Lutherans do. Mary as Mother of God is not controversial amongst confessional (that is, actual) Lutherans, Presbyterians, Anglicans, or Reformed.

Not 100% true, but quite close. Most Cats v. Prods threads on this board make a radical break between the Reformation and the Catholic Church, but really, the Reformers didn't invent many new doctrines. Most of the early Reformers were directly in line with several strains of medieval theology and philosophy. Both the RCC and the later generations of Protestants did start inventing a bunch of shit.

So you're saying they're joined at the hip?

doctrinally? the Filioque is really the big one, along with the level of Papal Primacy (Papal Infallibility versus First among Equals), and Orthodoxy still allows Priests to be married, though you can't be a married Bishop as far as I know.
but really the schism boiled down to temporal politics and theological supremacy, with the Byzantines pissed at the Papal defiance of their influence and blessing the HRE, while the lose of three of the Patriarchies inevitable made the battles between Rome and Constantinople a binary battle for dominance of the Church (briefly recovered Antioch but it was too late and basically subservient to Constantinople anyway)

candle stands for the dead?

Apart from Papal primacy?

filioque and azyma

Just follow your heart.

In addition to filioque and the role of the Pope of Rome is the essence-energies distinction, which the Orthodox follow and the Catholics reject. Orthodox also have concepts like "nous" and "theosis" that Catholics don't.
Orthodox believe the Holy Spirit proceeds from the father THROUGH the Son.

>denomination and beliefs based on Luther's teachings
>rejects Luther's teachings because he's too Catholic