Precolumbian Americas thread

Precolumbian Americas thread.

Also, there was an user I talked to a few months ago and we exchanged throw away emails to help work on the mesoamerica mega for the library threads here, as well as to find more images from Stuart and Scott Gentling of Aztec stuff, I was wondering if they were still around here since they no longer seem to be checking their email

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cahokia
youtube.com/watch?v=WaLRMq8sgYM
youtube.com/watch?v=mE6Fy1s0pfU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have more on my flash drive but that's all I have on this laptop

I was going to shitpost, but these are actually pretty neat.
Why did the Spaniards drain Lake Texcoco? It'd be cool if modern Mexico City was in the middle of a lake.

Think it was because Mexico City was prone to seasonal flooding. Also draining Texcoco also suited agricultural demands.

>looks objectively better than modern mexico
Wewlad.

>you'll never see this unique branch of humanity
>you'll never see how they would have developed up to present day
>you'll never see works of art like pic related made with futuristic technology

how do i deal with these feels lads?

also post your favorite pre columbian art piece

>favorite pre columbian art piece
coatlicue 2bh

I really would have loved to see an alt history where the aztecs and incas finally come into direct contact and either grow as two seperate entities, profitting from eachother's trade or as conflicting enemies bent on ruling over there other's land like the acient bronze age civilizations of Hitite and Egypt.

really like the aesthetic of aztec weapons

>you'll never see inca/south american heavy cavalry charges
just

When the Spanish destroyed Tenochtitlan, they destroyed all the native hydroenginneering and waterworks systems in place, so early mexico city was prone to flooding and they couldn't figure out how to rebuild them, so they just drained it.

>ywn have modern day Aztec Empire
>ywn have modern day Inca Empire
>ywn have modern day Mayan Empire
>you will always have mexican spics at your border
why even become archaeologists by this point?

There was never a Maya empire, the Maya never unified. They were always seperate city states and groups, with occasionally larger confederacies and kingdoms

Just imagine if they unified and survived.
Central america wouldn't be the modern clusterfuck of irrelevant spic countries it is today.

One of my favourite historical periods and locations aesthetically and had some very exciting moments. Seeing the jade tiled masks in the British museum really made me appreciate the past more than I used to.

>he doesn't know that there's still a pretty decent amount of Maya people alive today

Not even just "10% of their ancestry is maya", but plenty of maya tribes and groups survived the conquest and are still around and there are still like 80%-100% ethnically maya people around mexico living in actual soceity

>they couldn't figure out how to rebuild them
Fucking Eurangutans
t. someone with actual Amerindian blood

Mark my words, Central America will return to its roots out of the chaos that it is currently in.

"Literally breeds your continent, culture and history out of existence"

Got my flashdrive with the rest of their art

really hoping that user I was woring with over throw away emails months ago pops back up

Those trees are so comfy. Are they cypress? I didn't think they were native to the New World.

I don't into botany so I couldn't tell ya

Blame the Eternal Iberian

I think this is the last one from the artists.

Montezuma cypress

nope, this is

I know they have more art but that's all I've been able to find. The user i'm looking for was helping me find more

They are called Ahuehuete it means old man of water, they were planted by the aztecs around their floating farms to anchor them. This is a photo of 1902 with real chinampas and farmers.

Damn i came here to see conquistador shit posting and I'm kinda impressed, nicely done Veeky Forums

that's the thing during quiet hours.

>breeds your continent, culture and history out of existence
Seriously tho, delete this

In my expierence Veeky Forums is generally free of /pol/faggotry in threads about the precolumbian americas, since the subject is niche enough that most of the people who partipcate in them are people who actually give a shit about the topic and are at least decently informed.

To be fair this was mostly disease's fault as far as native population goes, but cultural eradication obviously was the Spanish's doing.

Makes the burning of the library of alexandria look like nothing.

In my opinion the Olmecs were more advance than the people that came after them. It is crazy to think they they had fountains and running water from an underground stone aqueduct 3000 years ago, and then for thousands of years the people living there would be without running water until the last century.

Are you sure you aren't mixing up Palenque's underground running water and fountains here? Link to info about the Olmec ones?

>and then for thousands of years the people living there would be without running water until the last century.

Given that Palenque had them as I mentioned this is wrong, pretty sure Teotihaucan had a primtivie type of flush toliet as well

It's a shame that the Chaco Valley culture is pretty much a footnote in history. They were arguably within the definition of a 'civilization'.

Those are from the San Lorenzo site in Veracruz got some oc from the aqueduct stones in my other computer, there are some in the local museum. The water came from a nearby spring into the city.

This guy's correct. We talked about San Lorenxo in depth for one of my lectures a few weeks back.

This part was carved

The Olmecs were something.

Can somebody explain what the deal is with this meander pattern?

Like, spirals and meanders show up in all human cultures, but this specific one with the 3 step staircase thing next to the main spiral/meander shows up fucking everywhere in mesoamerican art, from Aztecs to maya to I think Zapotec and Mixtec shit

another example

Another another example

Guatemalan guy here, lol no. All "maya" people today is a mix of Mexican indians and spaniards. They were at ome point mixed and had at least 1/2 maya on their blood, but that was around 500 years ago. They have no culture other than their language and their clothing, which was created by the spaniards btw. Most of them (not all) are dirty, disgusting pieces of shit that will try to kill one another and use muh discrimination argument for their convenience.

No, it wont. It will remain a clusterfuck forever. The spaniards managed to destroy every single interesting thing they could find back then. Other than some cool ruins, nothing good from the mayas or their descendants (which are called Señoríos Indígenas here) survives.

there´s plenty of human sacrifice right now so you may be right

Page 10 save rave

Well, several andean populations conserve more than 90% of indigenous blood.

any pics or info on pre-inca civs?

Conquistadors are too cool to be mad at, desu.

I don't think anyone over here is mad at them. We just remind people about Amerindian higher development rate.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cahokia

Big surprise, someone got annoyed by the guy who wont shut up about amerindians and his delusions of their greatness. I love how half of these drawings portray their buildings as mostly white on the exterior despite no evidence of this ever occurring in any north american tribes or signs of it in the small remnants of of amerindians still around. Sure their major temples may have been like that but these images are so idealized and aesthetically prepped for us to associate it with Rome. It just too funny how hard these guys tear their assholes to try to prove they were civilized despite being a millennia behind in civilization.

inb4 some loser starts telling me how amerindians were developing the cure for cancer while simultaneously engineering the worlds first space craft using a group of mixed gender workers all of whom had PhD level education and managed to get their work done on time while following union rules. Oh and keep in the "muh 15,000" years bullshit which makes everything that much more impressive.

>I love how half of these drawings portray their buildings as mostly white on the exterior despite no evidence of this ever occurring

How does it feel to be retarded

1/?

2/?

totally just a coicedence this is exactly how the buildings in the reconstructions look amirite

3/?

4/?

Also you are retarded, yu say "prepped us to associate it with rome", but it's far close to bronze age cultures in terms of architecture and urban design like the Mesopotamians and Minoans, which would make sense since the Mesoamericans worked copper and bronze

5/?

6/?

7/?

8/?

some white columns surrounded by buildings that would not have been white
Red base, white steps, off white building with clear remnants of pains in the etchings, black on top
completely colored just like I was saying
Evidence that shows the walls were completely colored just like I was saying
Color underneath the plaster and wooden ceilings.

Thank you for proving my point. Their buildings were colorful as can be understood by their culture, their buildings today, and all the super colorful artifacts we find by them. I wasnt saying they lived in huts or anything but those images are a crock of shit.

An actual series of images showing the construction process for structures and their exteriors

9/11

10/11

>some white columns surrounded by buildings that would not have been white
They would have been, the interior is cobblestone, then a smooth stone exterior, which was then plastered in white stucco

>Thank you for proving my point. Their buildings were colorful as can be understood by their culture, their buildings today, and all the super colorful artifacts we find by them. I wasnt saying they lived in huts or anything but those images are a crock of shit.

I don't understand what your point is.

11/11

If you look at the images I posted or any mesoamerican archelogical site, you can see this construction process in the ruins.

None of these are white and moderately patterned like in those idealistic images that try to tie a mental parallel to how we picture Rome (which is also inaccurate). These are brightly colored and gaudy as would be expected.

never forghetti

Typical. My point is those images are horseshit. Yes their temple may have been kept white, but those images of the city show most of their building as being white with some red/black/yellow trim or highlights. The reality is that there would have been like one or 2 white buildings and the rest would be gaudy bright reds and blues with too much pattern work on them. Not to mention I doubt there would have been bannermen with banners like that in .

bump

>Sure their major temples may have been like that but these images are so idealized and aesthetically prepped for us to associate it with Rome
lm@o at yuor denial

>"And when we saw that all around had the appearance of a luxurious garden, and that the streets were filled with people of both sexes, we returned most fervent thanks to God for having allowed us to discover such a country. The vanguard of our horse was naturally very much in advance, and had arrived in the great square and up to the dwellings where our quarters were prepared. It seems that a few days previous the walls had been newly plastered with lime, (which these Indians prepare uncommonly well,) and as the sun was shining full upon them at the time, one of our horse soldiers came galloping up to Cortes at full speed to inform him that the walls here were built of silver. Aguilar and Doña Marina immediately saw that this was lime fresh laid on; which of course created abundance of laughter. We never omitted on subsequent occasions to remind the man of it, joking him that everything white appeared to him like silver."

- True history of the conquest of New Spain, chapter XLV

@3632824
Please fuck off, this thread is going pretty good without your deluded ramblings.

>inb4 some loser starts telling me how amerindians were developing the cure for cancer while simultaneously engineering the worlds first space craft using a group of mixed gender workers all of whom had PhD level education
8/10 pretty close

>The upper class sent their sons to rigorous boarding academies, the calmécac (“houses of tears”), which, in their cultivation of good breeding, their design to break boys’ loyalties towards their homes, and their austerity, bore a definite resemblance to public schools in England during the reign of Victoria. Attention was paid to “character”: the preparation, it was said, of a “true face and heart”. But there were classes too in law, politics, history, painting, and music.

>The children of workers received vocational training in the more relaxed telpochcalli, the “houses of youth” established in every district. The teachers were professionals, but priests played a part. From these institutions, children could go home frequently. Yet they, like those in the calmécac, received ample instruction in morality and natural history through homilies which they often learned by heart, and of which some survive. “Almost all,” wrote a good observer in the 1560s, “know the names of all the birds, animals, trees and herbs, knowing too as many as a thousand varieties of the latter, and what they are good for.”39 A strong work ethic was inculcated: and children were told that they had to be honest, diligent and resourceful. All the same, preparation for combat was the dominating consideration where boys were concerned: above all, single combat with a matched enemy.

>In both educational institutions, food was provided by children or their parents, but the teachers were supplied by what it is probably permissible to call the state.40 Girls received training as housewives and mothers.
Hugh Thomas, Conquest, Chapter I

I would, but these deluded ramblings are not just mine m8

Thats Ferdinand Mallegan get killed by flips right?

Its always an illustration and not the actual thing.
Egypt got conquered more than the Americas yet their biggest pyramid remains.

I think some of these are just wishful thinking

>while simultaneously engineering the worlds first space craft
not quite, they built cool stuff tho

youtube.com/watch?v=WaLRMq8sgYM
youtube.com/watch?v=mE6Fy1s0pfU

>It has been speculated that the Maya solved this urban transportation problem by constructing a 100-meter long suspension bridge across the wild river in the late 7th century. The bridge which featured three spans extended from a platform on the grand plaza of Yaxchilan crossing the river to the northern shore. The 63 meter center span remained the longest in the world until the construction of the Italian Trezzo sull'Adda Bridge in 1377

>They agreed to work at it viribus et posse, and began at once to divide the task between them, and I must say that they worked so hard, and with such good will, that in less than four days they constructed a fine bridge, over which the whole of the men and horses passed. So solidly built it was, that I have no doubt it will stand for upwards of ten years without breaking —unless it is burnt down — being formed by upwards of one thousand beams, the smallest of which was as thick round as a man's body, and measured nine or ten fathoms (16.8-18m) in length, without counting a great quantity of lighter timber that was used as planks. And I can assure your Majesty that I do not believe there is a man in existence capable of explaining in a satisfactory manner the dexterity which these lords of Tenochtitlan, and the Indians under them, displayed in constructing the said bridge: I can only sav that it is the most wonderful thing that ever was seen.
- Fifth Letter of Relation by Cortes to Charles V

>Oh and keep in the "muh 15,000" years bullshit which makes everything that much more impressive.
I'd agree with Cortes and say it was more impressive because of their isolation. I mean no Greek science, Indian mathematics and Roman engineering, etc

>"I will say only that these people live almost like those in Spain, and in as much harmony and order as there, and considering that they are barbarous and so far from the knowledge of God and cut off from all civilized nations, it is truly remarkable to see what they have achieved in all things."
Hernan Cortes to Charles V

>Spanish conquistador Hernán Cortés arrived in Tenochtitlan on November 8, 1519. With an estimated population between 200,000 and 300,000, many scholars believe Tenochtitlan to have been among the largest cities in the world at that time.[14] Compared to Europe, only Paris, Venice and Constantinople might have rivaled it. It was five times the size of the London of Henry VIII.[6]

>"Our astonishment was indeed raised to the highest pitch, and we could not help remarking to each other, that all these buildings resembled the fairy castles we read of in Amadis de Gaul; so high, majestic, and splendid did the temples, towers, and houses of the town, all built of massive stone and lime, rise up out of the midst of the lake. Indeed, many of our men asked if what they saw was a mere dream. And the reader must not feel surprised at the manner in which I have expressed myself, for it is impossible to speak coolly of things which we had never seen nor heard of, nor even could have dreamt of, beforehand."
Bernal díaz del Castillo, True History of the Conquest of New Spain Chapter LXXXVII

>"Moctezuma He possessed out of the city as well as within, numerous villas, each of which had its peculiar sources of amusement, and all were constructed in the best possible manner for the use of a great prince and lord. Within the city his palaces were so wonderful that it is hardly possible to describe their beauty and extent; I can only say that in Spain there is nothing equal to them."
- Hernan Cortes, Second Letter of Relation to Charles V

>>It has been speculated that the Maya solved this urban transportation problem by constructing a 100-meter long suspension bridge across the wild river in the late 7th century.
pic related

>"On their route they passed through three provinces, that, according to the report of the Spaniards, contained very fine land, many villages and cities, with much scattered population, and buildings equal to any in Spain. They mentioned particularly a house and castle, the latter larger, of greater strength, and better built than the castle of Burgos (the castle of the kings of Spain); and the people of one of these provinces, called Tamazulapa, were better clothed than those of any other we had seen, as it justly appeared to them."
- Cortes second letter of relation to Charles V

>According to the Guinness Book of Records, Cholula is in fact the largest pyramid as well as the largest monument ever constructed anywhere in the world, with a total volume estimated at over 4.45 million cubic metres, even larger than that of the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, which is about 2.5 million cubic metres.

Just to clarify, the castle at Tamazulapa is not the same as the pyramid of Cholula, I simply post that guiness record for those who doubt Amerindians could build such structures.

>enslave rival tribes enough to the point where a group of literally who's can destroy your entire empire who lead a revolt against their slavers
>Barely progress into the bronze age
>But hey they lived close to the equator and built a lot of stone buildings to sacrifice people on
Aztecaboos are the worst

>When he cherrypicks quotes this hard

why always only bring the sacrifices?
I never see aztecboos/amerindianboos shitting on european threads for europeans being filthy fanatic genociders full of diseases

>It has also been suggested that the Spanish conquest of Mesoamerica influenced the history of the botanical garden[14] as gardens in Tenochtitlan established by king Nezahualcoyotl,[18] also gardens in Chalco (altépetl) and elsewhere, greatly impressed the Spanish invaders, not only with their appearance, but also because the indigenous Aztecs employed many more medicinal plants than did the classical world of Europe.[19][20] Hernando Cortés reportedly told the Spanish monarch that the Aztec physicians were superior to those in Spain, so superior, in fact, that the king need not bother sending Spanish physicians to the New World. Statement later confirmed in a early letter by the personal physian of the Spanish monarch who spent 7 years studying the Aztec medicine in a research trip that was expected to last 6 months: ‘"I marveled, in this and in innumerable other herbs, which are nameless among us, how in the Indies, where people are so uncultured and barbaric, there are so many herbs, some with known uses and some without, but there is almost none, which is not known to them and given a particular name".

>their estimate of the length of the synodic month being more accurate than Ptolemy's,[2] and their calculation as to the length of the tropical solar year was more accurate than that of the Spanish when the latter first arrived

>The Aztec Triple Alliance, which ruled from 1428 to 1521 in what is now central Mexico, is considered to be the first state to implement a system of universal compulsory education.[4][

great argument