Just got off the phone with a recruiter

Just got off the phone with a recruiter.

He interviewed me a little and then said they take my information and send it out to a bunch of companies, without using my name directly, and try to get one of them to accept me. Basically he said they try to find me a job.

What's the catch?

Am I to understand that by using headhunters, I can continue to live as a NEET while having OTHER people look for jobs for me?

Is this true?

Bump.

Seriously Veeky Forums, what part of this am I not getting?
Anyone?

He gets some percentage (usually 10%) of your wage every month if he finds you a job

Oh, well the company pays him right, not me directly?

I'm cool with that. It'll just be enough time for me to find a new job on my own.

>they take my information and send it out to a bunch of companies
Did he indicate that he knew who you were before you introduced yourself at all? Did he say how he got your contact information?

Someone probably bought your info from the credit leak and just needs a few more pieces to open up a few bank accounts, credit cards and a mortgage.

how do I short OP?

Yeah, he did. He reached out to me via LinkedIn and explained, after looking at my credentials, what his company does and why it might be a good fit for my experience. I looked up his company and it seems legit.

That's how he contacted me.

And he explained that he basically just writes a letter based on my credentials, sends it out to companies, and then tells me when one of them wants to hire me.

Then he said his company will also prep me for the interview a little when the company shows interest.

So again...what's the catch?
Is the catch just that these companies will give me a lower salary for doing this? Is that it?

Borrow OP.... sell him to someone.... then uh, return him with a couple less limbs.
The recruiter likely gets paid to get people jobs. Like, at my job I get a 5k bonus if I refer someone that gets hired. This guy probably gets a kick back of some sort, or he wouldn't be doing this. That may or may not earn you a lower salary, I don't know.

Also I didn't give out any info in the interview that I wouldn't say in a typical job interview. Just what kinds of programs I've worked with, what my previous job was and what skills I learned there, etc. Nothing that couldn't be easily found on LinkedIn.

So I'm still looking for the catch....

Recruiters can sometimes make up to half of what your hourly wage could have been if you found the job yourself.

Also, if it's a temp job - he'll get a sign on bonus (2 - 5 grand) if you complete your contract.

This is why I can usually make 1.50 more than other temps at Temp Factory jobs, because I have a 80% completion rate.

After 7 years I've found a job that I enjoy and can be comfortable in, Union Ice Cream plant.

The catch is that they may set you up with a ton of useless interviews that go nowhere. Or the recruiter pressures you to take a job you may not want or like. Proceed with caution. They get a percentage of whatever your yearly salary is when you take a job, from the employer. The employer hires these people because finding talent is time consuming and difficult, so they outsource it essentially. Recruiters are basically sales people (brokers) but for job placement instead of a product.

He wants to sell you to a company the same way the Comcast guy on the phone wants to sell you the HBO package. Make the sale by any means necessary, collect the commission, and bounce.

It could be very useful for you if you're having trouble finding jobs. They're good at solving the "I don't even know where to being" problem, but a lot of the time they've just wanted me to work entry-level shit and interview ASAP so they can get their sale. They may also call you and send you jobs incessantly even if it's not something you want to do. All things considered though, the catches aren't bad. If they are good at what they do then they'll place you at a good company that you like, that you end up successful at, and it's win-win-win for both you, the recruiter, and your new employer.

Well yeah, I figured the companies give a little money to the headhunter if it works out.

But, and I'm being completely serious here, given that I was already looking for jobs in this field and have been for weeks, is there any reason why I wouldn't use a recruiter like this, in addition to continuing my own search?

Ok, but would you advise against using them?

This job is for a financial position and not a temp job.

I'm an entry level fresh out of college with 1 internship.

Plus I make a lot of money in crypto and was basically just hoping to find something to pay the rent while I keep on trading for real money.

I mean if I was still at a job I like, I wouldn't do this.

And I could GET a job easily if I lowered my standards a bit, but there is a certain industry I'm trying to get into which I interned in and that's why I've taken a while.

However, the way I see it a job hunter can get me enough of a job that I can take it, pay my rent for a while, and have enough time to continue building my own little fortune on the side. This is all i really want. I just want more time.

Anything is better than collecting unemployment, right?

My point is that I'm not necessarily having trouble finding A job, but I'm having trouble finding a job in this particular field I want to work in, so I was hoping the recruiter would help with that.

Well then a recruiter will probably help you. Just don't let them pressure you into taking a job you don't like because they want to move on to their next sale.

There's no financial catch here, if that's the info you're looking for. The employer pays the recruiter. They receive value in the time and connections that the recruiter has to wade through resumes, linkedin profiles, etc. but the HR or hiring manager person may not have. If the recruiter asks you for money and you didn't explicitly sign up for the service then it's a scam.

I got an entry level job in finance through some recruitment guy. It was straight forward, got interview by the company and got hired and that was the end of it.

What's hard to understand?

Yes if your recruiter is good they will help you with that. Just be clear and communicative. If they suck and aren't helping you just politely ask if they know anyone else who has an "in" to whatever field/industry you want to get into. Your recruiter may also find you another recruiter as I'm sure they've come up with some kind of way to hand off their candidates for cash between each other. And if not, tell them to fuck off and just find the job yourself or engage with other recruiters yourself via LinkedIn that you think may have that "in".

The catch I'm scared of is that employers actually hate the recruiters and this ends up putting me on some kind of "blacklist" so that my only option becomes getting a job through this recruiter.

Fair enough. I'll keep applying for jobs on my own too then.

The recruiter's full time job is to literally do the opposite of that. They want to be friends and have an in at as many employers as possible otherwise they'll never place anyone and they won't make money. If they work for a reputable firm that scenario will most likely not be the case.

Even if your recruiter was the biggest douchebag in the world (which I hope you've caught on to by now or not) it wouldn't really look poorly on you, the candidate, but more so on him, the recruiter.

Again, the recruiters are sales people, and sales people can be slimey and douchey. But if they're good, as in they provide quality candidates, the employer doesn't give a shit.

Great. So this is a just an easy "bonus" to multiply my job search efforts.

Thanks.

Don't rely on the recruiter. He could give up on you tomorrow and he may not even waste his time sending you an email saying he dropped you. You didn't hire him so he's not contractually obligated to do shit for you. You aren't his client, the employer that is paying him is. You're just a body that MAY fulfill his obligation to the employer.

Pretend the recruiter doesn't even exist and let him do his thing; if he comes up with something that works for you, great, but you can't rely on that. You are your best recruiter and should continue looking for jobs on your own as if you never spoke with a recruiter.

I see. I'll keep this in mind.