Any Veeky Forums approved animes/mangas?

I was going to ask /a/, but they seem to be full of pedophiles and neckbeards. I've never really gotten into animes or mangas, but my girlfriend is a fan of some of it (not an extreme weeaboo or anything) and so I'm looking for something I may enjoy as a history nerd. The only things I've seen are things that were on American TV when I was a kid like Dragon Ball Z and such.

I've heard Legend of the Galactic Heroes is good and something I would probably like. Can anyone give me opinions on this?

If not, any other suggestions? I heard that that was something called Kingdom that might be good but I don't know if that means the manga or anime.

Pic related is apparently Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KRtYuG6MgX8.
youtube.com/watch?v=MN_WgwEmRaw
youtube.com/watch?v=iKvq2NQk70Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Galactic heroes is kino
Code Geass is similar but not as good

I'd say Drifters would be good if you can ignore the Nippon steel memes. It's pretty interesting for its grasp of realistic political maneuvering in a world where there's a LOTR style monster demon army coming to wipe out the humans.

"not as good" is an understatement.

Legend of the Galactic heroes is great, but it's not for everyone. You being here suggests you'd like it. Watch the first OP youtube.com/watch?v=KRtYuG6MgX8. If that seems interesting to you, go for it, if it looks boring, you will be bored.

Spice and Wolf.

Also if you decide to watch it, don't read anything about it, you will get spoiled. And don't listen to the previews at the end of each episode, the narrator will ruin all the twists.

I actually like the older art style. Characters looked more like real people. The music seems interesting. And I dig space battles and political maneuvering with slow burn stories.

I will not lie to you, the space battle tactics are pretty bad, especially early on, they do some cool stuff with it later. The visuals are nice though, and the story and characters are great. It might be hard to get through the earlier stuff, but if you're still into it by the end of the first "season" you'll blaze through the rest.

Check out My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars first. It's sort of a pilot/prequel. If you like it, you'll like the rest.
And Overture to a new war is like a special cut of the first few episodes.
If you're the & humanities type. Neon Genesis Evangelion is what you need.

>I was going to ask /a/, but they seem to be full of pedophiles

Dude, this entire board jacks off to pregnant Anne Frank hentai and would crowdfund a full-length movie about her if they could find a studio to produce it.

Cool. Thanks, will do.

Anyone know anything about Kingdom of Vinland Saga? They've popped up as things that are history related.

I'd watch Overture first, it gives Lap more characterization.

Is Yang the most Veeky Forums character in fiction?

I'm still not over it.

Vinland Saga is good for the first 50+ chapters and you may be able to handle the farm arc if you're okay with the action being toned down a lot. Otoyomegatari and Emma are also good.

hyouge mono

Yang is my completely straight husbando.

Thoughts on pic related?

Vinland Saga is Berserk, Historical Norman/Viking Edition for the first 50 or so chapters where it covers the Invasion of England. It does a time skip and slows down a lot for the main theme of the manga, but a lot of people really dislike the shift.

Not manga, but western comic, but is this any good? How does it compare to Vinland Saga?

Garth Ennis' War Stories is the best Veeky Forumstorical comic book out there. Not manga, but definitely awesome.

LOTGH is the only anime I've ever actually enjoyed.

Anne no Nikki

Girls und Panzer

>the space battle tactics are pretty bad
t. doesn't understand them

>skeptical and world-weary scholar with poor social and general life skills who is forced to join the military and fight when all he wants to do is be comfy study history
Yang is Veeky Forums incarnate

The Golden Years arc has some fun medieval-style battles and a little political intrigue, but it soon becomes an extremely dark, demon filled revenge story (which is awesome, and any anime/manga fan telling you different is just being a huge contrarian faggot.)
Wholeheartedly recommended.

The Battle of Astarte was dumb.

Really good; however, on the historical context you might not like it after the first arc (medieval). It does touch some nice subjects, like how ambiguous good and bad is, and the characters are great. Watch the old version though, and if you liked it enough continue with the newest ones if you want to

>continue with the newest ones if you want to
Why would anyone want to do that?

Anyone know anything about these? Art looks cool.

Seeing Guts again was fun, and entertaining

No Historie for Veeky Forums?

>Historie takes place in ancient Greece and follows the life and childhood of Eumenes, who historically was the secretary and general to Alexander the Great. Historie includes characters such as Aristotle and King Philip II of Macedon and begins around 343 BC, which was a time of Macedonian expansion.
>Historie is a historical manga by Hitoshi Iwaaki that tells the life story of Eumenes, a secretary and general to Alexander the Great. Although the story is fictional, Eumenes was a real person. Historically, his past is largely a mystery, hence Iwaaki was able to take artistic liberty in his manga.

Read the manga you goddamn casuals.

Was there really a tribe of mountain people lead by a warrior woman in ancient China when Qin Shi Huang began uniting it into a single nation?

>a studio was actually paid to make this AND got Michael Nyman to do the soundtrack

You think they would be open to doing a remake where Anne's nine months pregnant? We can use our collective Jew powers to help finance it and get Stephen Lang to make an uncredited cameo as the voice of General Robert E. Lee.

Oh yeah and where can I find a copy with English subs? All the ones on youtube are in German or Portuguese.

It's a very different show. I enjoy both, but only LOGH is really trying to kind of reflect real history (although it does rely too much on great man theory, so there's my intellectual nitpicking).

>ctrl+f
>"Maria the virgin witch"
>0 results

Really?

>Succubus can't tempt any of the churchmen because they're too busy fucking the altar boys

Is that really what it's about?
Kek

Also I second checking out Kingdom.

The concept was so cool, it's a shame it only got, what, 12 episodes? We need more econ-themed anime

Season 3 when ;_;

Also has comfiest OPs
youtube.com/watch?v=MN_WgwEmRaw
youtube.com/watch?v=iKvq2NQk70Y

Shoukoku no Altair is pretty good, essentially not!Ottomans fighting not!>>>.

It helps that I'm a pretty big Veneziaboo and they get a lot of focus.

ZIPANG!

>Mirai, an improved Kongou-class Aegis guided missile destroyer, is one of the newest and most advanced ships in the entire Japanese Self Defense Force (SDF). Her crew, also one of the newest, is lead by Capt. Umezu Saburo and Executive Officer Kadomatsu Yosuke. While running scheduled training exercises one day, Mirai encounters a fierce storm that throws their navigation systems into temporary disarray. After a few minutes of recovery, the crew is shocked to discover that they've been transported back in time to June 4, 1942—The Battle of Midway, during World War II. Letting history take its course for this battle, they manage to avoid the conflict firsthand and make a vow to remain annonymous, changing history as little as possible. However, when the crew comes across the dying Lt. Commander Kusaka Takumi, XO Kadomatsu's instincts to save lives takes over, changing the course of history more than he could've imagined.

I have

I haven't watched it yet but a historical anime in my watching list is Le Chevalier D'Eon

THIS
Tea Aesthetics all the way.

Thermae Roma
Vinland Saga
Gosick
The Wind Rises
Golden Kamuy
off the top of my head

original Japanese audio with subtitles for the best experience

This movie made me stop hating the Japs for bombing Pearl Harbor for 5 minutes it was so moving

In This Corner of the World

The background of Code Geass is actually an alternate history, where the American Revolution is put down but Britain later loses the Napoleonic Wars, and the British crown is forced into exile in America, where it becomes the Britannian Empire.

This is the best anime. No comparison.
The Wind Rises is legitimately Miyazaki's best film.

LOGH is for children. Disregard anybody saying otherwise.
Go back to plebbit
NGE is for children as well.
Because you're a /pol/tard that plays histery gaymes and LARPs as a row-man

LOGH is the probably the worst series, actually. Not only is it awful, but it attracts retards like nothing else.
le deep political intrique hahah HUMAN NATURE XDDD NAZIS VS DEMOCRATS XDDDD

LOGH is garbage, so no. I wouldn't expect a board of high schoolers to understand the medium

Youjo Senki

>t. (((Phezzani)))

*blocks your path*

Mangas:
>Pierre Mercenary
>Otoyomegari - Brides Stories
>Eureka
>Historie
>Vinland Saga
>ALEXANDROS - SEKAI TEIKOKU E NO YUME
>Ceasare

HAHAHHA LE EPIC MEMEE XDDDDDDDDDDD

What the fuck are you talking about? You sound like an idiot trying to be a contrarian to be edgy. If anyone needs to go back to >>/pol/ it's you.

>>Otoyomegari - Brides Stories
THIS

HOLY FUCK THIS

Has anyone here actually seen Zipang!?

Seems like a cool concept, but I don't know of it's shit or not.

Its pretty good.
There is even anime but it cover only early part.
Main idea is not only clash of times and super advanced ship transported into past but also clash of ideologies as JSDF is rather tame and pacifist compared to everyone else(both USA and Imp. Nippon).
There is also alternative timeline with historic events and characters affected by appearance of the ship.
Watch/read it. Its OK>

>NAZIS VS DEMOCRATS
How to spot someone who didn't watch the show and goes entirely off memes.

>ANYBODY I DISLIKE IS JUST BEING LE CONTRARIAN XDDD
Project harder.

Why would Robert E. Lee be in a movie about Anne Frank?

>project harder
What do you mean? Are you saying I haven't watched the show?

Someone needs to keep an eye on Charlie II.

More like 25. Did you forget to watch S2?

You clearly haven't. Or if you did, you watched it for memes.

Wolfsmund (Grizzly telling of the Swiss Rebellion and the Habsburgs attempt to prevent it)
Genghis Khan
Historie (series about Philip and Alexander the Great from Eumenes' perspective, who was a big advisor to them and was a major figure in the Diadochi wars)
LoGH (futuristic space war opera about the ideas of government)
Shokoku no Altair (get to the war between Turkiye and Balt-Rhine, then feel amazed when they actually portray Condotteri accurately. And go full Genoese-Venetian war. Its flat out glorious)
Maouyuu (middle age economics)
Gunka no Baltzar (Fictional version of the Austro Prussian Brothers War from the eyes of Bavaria)
Gunjou Senki (horrors of war in the 17th Century Sengoku period)
Otoyomegatari (Set in Uzbekistan before the Russians take over the region in the mid 1800s, about Central Asian culture)
Bradherley's Coach (not for the faint of heart. About Victorian Era England and about sexuality and sex trafficking)
Harukaze no Snegurochka (same writer as the above, this time in the Soviet Union, different kind of story and still very very cruel, can't spoil)
Shuumatsu no Maristella (Pseudo Christian work about the world after judgement day. Very religiously grounded)
Zipang (A modern Japanese SDF missile destroyer gets sent back to Pearl Harbor)
Bokurano (Sad tale of children having to pilot a mech knowing they will die if they win)
Golden Kamuy (Set in Hokkaido just after the Russo-Japanese war. A lot of very near info about Ainu culture)

u wot m8

Drifters is literally just whatever the fuck the author thought would look cool, with zero regard to realism.

Yeah, OP here, I don't get this because I don't know much about them as a medium. Is that terminology incorrect?

Oh add
Monster (Story about a neuosurgeon in Germany in the 1980s who saved a boys life at the cost of his job growth, after the Berlin wall falls a patient of his is murdered in front of his eyes by an adult version of the boy he saved. The doctor sets out to find him to clear his name)

The plural of anime is anime

Ennis keeps his personal retardation in check for most of it, so it's readable.

>filename

It's interesting, but being translated very slowly...which hampers reading enjoyment.

Also, the character designs and the generic art style are bad. Bad bad bad.

Nice. Tell me more, to what do they jack off

>Maria
>Good
Fukkin waste of a setting. Hey, let's place it in the 100 Years War because history. But let's not reference any people, places, or events that happened. It's just 2 Christian Kingdoms at war for some reason and God doesn't care.
Besides one fucking mention of Joan of Arc, you could just change all other mentions of England to "Arturia" and France to "Karlamania," as some generic fantasy world, with some Catholic-lite religion where Angels, Witches, and French forest spirits exist--and literally nothing would change.
Sure, you've got "more realistic combat" with buckets and the English "lowbowman salute," but it's all not the focus because KILLING PEOPLE IS BAD AND I WANT TO STOP THAT FUCK GOD HE CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO I LOVE A BOY
And Bernard is the best character for actually having depth. But, SPOILERS, he gets evaporated for having depth, and the whole thing ends as a Joseph and Marie with a virgin pregnancy bullshit. I wanted that mercenary bastard to cut her throat in the end
I've watched trash anime, but claiming Maria is a good HISTORICAL anime is bullshit.

>Shoukoku no Altair

Kek yeah had a good laugh off that 1

Other titles that don't seem to have been mentioned yet:

- Sangokushi, a straight adaptation of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. If you haven't read RoTK you can easily start with this.
- Cestus, slave boxers in ancient Rome with Nero's personal drama a sideshow. The research on the material culture is very good at least.
- Monster was mentioned already but Billy Bat and 20th Century Boy by the same author deal with modern history as well.
- Oooku, an alt-his about harem and political intrigues in Tokugawa Japan after a disease wipes out most males. It's very much a romance manga targeted towards women but it's also an imaginative and interesting exploration of the aristocratic culture, you will see.
- Otome Sensou/Dívčí válka, about the Hussite Wars. It's honestly not that good but don't tell me you don't want to read about the Hussite Wars.
- Innocent, about royal executioners at the end of the Ancien Regime. Doesn't seem to have much historical accuracy (it's based on a historical novel, half the characters were invented) but if you like theatrics and pretty dolls in 18th century costumes it's entertaining and the art is lovely.
- Shigurui, just read it.
- Innocents Shounen Juujigun, an imagination of how the Crusade of the Innocents may have went.
- Oudou no Inu, probably the most Veeky Forums manga in existence but it's not fucking translated.

>turks are white and based manga
I agree.
Try Arslan Senki then.

And what gives you that impression?

Enjoyable would recommend

My suggestions to add

Historia: Follows the story of Eumes as he finds a talent in war and in politics. Also befriends a young Macedonian prince...

Toradora!

I knew a guy in college who had only ever seen one anime: Dance in the Vampire Bund. He said it was a perfect allegory for the Israeli-Palestine conflict.

One Piece. Luffy is a secular Knight of Faith

Not a manga, but Usagi Yojimbo is pretty great

This.
Best anime movie of 2016, Shinkai-fags can stick their saccharine teen love shit up where the sun don't shine.

My Name Is Nero, cute romans doing roman things.

The Wind Rises

Because redditors don't watch anime.

is there any reason for the characters to be girls other than to get the neetbux?