Sengoku

What clans are most important to know to get a good understanding of the Sengoku Period?

Ashikaga, Oda, Toyotomi, and Tokugawa.

The rest are just losers, people obsessed with local struggles, and petty Kings.

>Uesugi Kenshin
>Takeda Shingen
>losers
user pls

Does someone have a map of Japan with crests to show their powerbase?

Why is the Date clan such a big deal everytime a piece of media references the sengoku era? All they did was conquer the north japan, which was nothing compared to central Japan where the best farming land was and where the emporer was. But th still go out of their way to mention how Masamune Date boasted about how he wanted to conquer Japan, even though he never had a chance to do so in the first place.

They conquered ALL of the North, instead of meme clans having like a rival in their region of influence.

Also Date Masamune literally built their clan's power up from near ruin.

Those two were too caught up in their meme war in their respective provinces. Petty Kings.

The Uesugi were routing the Oda when they fought until Kenshin suddenly died. As for the Takeda, Shngen's governmental practices were adopted by Ieyasu Tokugawa, and were still used even when he became shogun.

Shingen and Kenshin were big obstacles for Oda Nobunaga

Why is the emperor such a tool? Does he not have a voice of his own? Are nip emperors destined to be puppets?

They pretty much got BUSHIED when the Nip Emperors lost control of their military ever since the 1000s AD.

That's what happens when you're a centralized empire and you Feudalize your military.

To be fair, Emperor Go-Daigo tried to restore himself and Imperial rule during the Kemmu Restoration of 1333-1336

It BTFO the Kamakura Shogunate of the Minamotos, only for the Ashikaga clan to rise and BTFO the Emperor, kill his champion: Nitta Yoshisada, and jailed the Emperor "for his own safety."

Why is clan based warfare on an island nation smaller than the state of California by habital area so god damned interesting?

japs are a pretty neat people

It is worth mentioning that the Ashikaga clan was the driving force behind the emperor's overthrow of the the Kamakuras, and turned on the emperor only when they didn't feel like the emperor was granting the appropriate powers and privileges for their help. So really the emperor was never really fully in control, always haunted by the specter of some lurking clan.

Any good books based on the period, Veeky Forums? I've read a bit about Nobunaga, Hideyoshi, and Tokugawa, but I'd like a more general overview on it.

>japs
>people

From my History of Japan I required reading list:

Hane, Mikiso and Louis G. Perez. Premodern Japan: A Historical Survey, 2nd ed. (Westview, 2015) [DS 850.H36 2014]

Lu, David J. Japan: A Documentary History: Volume I: The Dawn of History to the Late Tokugawa Period (M.E. Sharpe, 1996)

Vaporis, Constantine Nomikos. Voices of Early Modern Japan: Contemporary Accounts of Daily Life during the Age of the Shoguns (Westview Press, 2014) [DS 870 .V65 V2014]

Hane & Perez is more of a typical history textbook, while Lu and Vaporis are primary source translations placed in context.

The Date under Masamune did some interesting things; built the first Japanese made Galleon, sent an ambassador to Rome, turned Sendai from a shithole village into one of the most important cities in Kanto

Thanks, user. Those seem right up my alley. Do you happen to have anything of the same ilk for China, ranging from Qin to Ming?

Hosokawa
Yamana
Miyoshi
Oda
Tokugawa
Ishida

And also Mori and Shimazu, considering the long run.

James Clavel: Shogun

its a novel but its great

I've read it, one of my favourites. Thanks though.

Daily reminder that shimazu is the best clan, all other are pleb choice

>pleb tier
Oda
Takeda
Uesugi
Hojo

>decent tier
Mori
Tokugawa
Date

>God tier
Toyotomi