Ol West

I know, I know... But- if you were teleported back in time to the old American West post emancipation. What's your ideal weapons of choice to have to defend yourself?

My choice? 44. lever action 24in Henry rifle.

Followed by the 10gage Double Barrel coach gun

>44.
t. never fired a gun in my life

The obvious m1860 or colt side arm of course.

Schofield and Spencer rifle.

Making a trip to the Springfield armoury and getting my hands on a model 1868/1870 might be worth it. Nothing like blasting a hole in an injun from 500 yards away.
>aim small miss small.

Henry rifles were unreliable pieces of shit. I know people that have excavated battle sites from the Indian Wars period, and it's incredibly common to find Henry cartridges with a bunch of firing pin marks showing misfires. Apparently, it was just accepted that you might need to rotate a cartridge a few times before the gun would actually fire; the Henry company tried to solve the problem by using double firing pins, but it didn't really work. Plus, the round they used was pretty weak, and magazines were prone to issues.

You wana test them words with my gunz boy?

>not reliable
Compared to what though? During its early years of use it was a highly favored gun and is noted for conquering the west of its Native Tribes.

A pistol, maybe a shotgun.

What's wrong with the .44? I've fired one .44 round in my entire life when I was about 10-12 years old, out of a lever action rifle. Dropped the deer dead with a heart shot.

Compared to other guns of the time, including Spencers and Sharps. They were popular because they held a lot of rounds and could fire quickly (even when misfiring), not because they were especially good. There actually weren't very many Henry rifles even manufactured before the company went out of business. The 1866 and 1873 Winchester were way more common and popular in the west.

two colt navys, dual-wielded at all times, and always shitfaced off whiskey

A pair of steel balls.

It was that you inserted the point after than 44 rather than before like .44

For starters, .44 would be anachronistic, because it was created in the 1950s by Elmer Keith based on hot .45 long colt. Now if you said a lever gun in .45 LC or 45-70 Govt. or something, then that would be more in line with a gun of the old west.

It won't save you in the end, my friend.

Oh yeah baby.

The hot load based on the .45 Colt is the .454 Casull. You're probably thinking of the .44 Magnum, which Elmer Keith created.

There's nothing anachronistic about a .44 caliber gun in the old west. .44 caliber rounds were pretty common in the old west period. The .44-40 was super common (it was the most popular caliber for the 1873 Winchester, and it was so popular, Colt started offering SAAs in it they called the "frontier model), and Smith and Wesson had a number of .44 caliber chamberings out there for their revolvers.

At least they're proper weapons. "Pulling mes from another dimension" doesn't count.

I hope you like sponges, faggot.

Black powder cartridges are not my area of expertise, I stand corrected. But in all likelihood, the lever gun he was using probably was .44 magnum. Could've swore it was also based off the .45 LC handloads considering the first production .44 Mag is the Ruger Blackhawk, which is basically an oversized Colt Single Action Army, but that could just be a coincidence.

>Could've swore it was also based off the .45 LC handloads
No, Keith was handloading hot version of the .44 Special (which was a development of the .44 Russian, which dated to the old west period). The .45 Colt had nothing to do with the development of the .44 Magnum. user is probably shot a .44 Magnum, but that doesn't mean .44 caliber rounds didn't exist in the old west. They did, and were very common. Saying you'd chose "a .44" isn't anachronistic at all; if someone said that, I'd just assume they were talking about the .44-40, because it was one of the most popular cartridges of the era.