Orthodoxy

What's particular about Orthodox Christianity? I don't mean superficial differences like the fact that it isn't centralized as Catholicism is. But in what meaningful philosophical and theological way does it differ from Catholicism and Protestantism?

they are good at collecting gibs from E.Europeans and nothing alse.
Shit is devolving into a shamanistic, transactional religion.

Yes goyi- I mean faitful beleivers, old ladies' societies for self castigation and devotional wailing are much better.

The Pope isn't infallible, you use your own native language in the church, and The Son has nothing to do with the Holy Spirit.

culture of suffering

>and The Son has nothing to do with the Holy Spirit.
So there's no real Trinity?

In catholicism the Son is an emanation of the Father and the Holy Spirit is an emanation of both. (even if the three are eternal)
The only difference in orthodoxy is that the Holy Spirit is only an emanation of the Father.

>Russians immediately think jews are the only ones who despise them

every time. your reply will pay for your next drink of vodka boris, make it a long one!

hey white orthodogs
we still got 4 BBCs on your pathetic church.

They deny that they've had any doctrinal or liturgical development when they clearly have.

They oppose the filioque, which might be fine on certain linguistic grounds but they've taken it to autistic levels.

They are much more informed by Platonic and Neoplatonic philosophy than the Peripatetic philosophy of the West.

They are far less amenable to scholasticism and doctrinal specificity than they are to insistence upon every tiny detail of liturgical orthopraxy (although by the same token, they have far less rigid rules for liturgical actions than at least the old Catholic Mass did).

They are far more attracted to iconography than the Western church ever was.

They deny Original Sin, although they pretty much have the same doctrine in more Greek than Latin terms in their own theology -- they just really hate the forensic language of Latin theology.

There are a lot of things for Catholics and Protestants to admire and to contend with in the Eastern Orthodox traditions, but they aren't the pure, primal Christianity that many Western converts or admirers seem to believe. They aren't really that ancient, and yet they are all the same. There has been a trend of Catholics and Protestants converting to Orthodoxy over the last decade or two, based partially on political grounds, and partially on the "grass is greener" principle. It's worth noting that most people who have been born, baptized, raised, and lived in the Orthodox traditions tend to have a very, VERY different view of Orthodoxy than Western fad followers do. There is a lot I admire about the Orthodox churches, but converting won't answer the questions you wanted answered, and it won't solve the issues you had with your Western churches either.

t.cathocuck

Jew

Try again.

Or present objections to any of my statements in the above post.

It's shit. All Orthodox countries are shit. The clergy are thieving shitters. The art is ugly shit. The rite is boring shit.

t. born Orthodox

t. liberashka

not enough pews?

LOL

>orthodoxy is byzantine in the 5th sentence
literally stopped reading right there.

>literally stopped reading
That's because orthodogs can't read.

No, because greek and byzantine orthodox are as heretic as catholics

Implying early modern period wasn't total fundamentalist buffoonery in all Christendom with radical Protestantism and the elimination of all the western rites and the conquests of the Americas in complete contrast to the trends of the earlier middle ages and late antiquity in adapting facets of local traditions and cultures.

It wasn't. The early modern period was incredibly complex and in constant development given new understandings of logic, metaphysics, mathematics, natural sciences, etc. But it was VERY much in conversation with medieval thought. Especially when it came to theology.

You really need to read some of the scholarship on early modern intellectual history that's been done within the last, say, 30 years. I'm also not entirely sure how much you actually know about the thought of the medieval or late classical period.

Also, fundamentalism is 100% a 20th-century phenomenon. You have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Do the reading first, then post.

Nah the efforts of western churches and missions stands in complete contrast many of the developments up to that time. Numerous vestiges of local tradition and culture can be seen in all churches. But during the modern period the reformers put a cap on this allowing only the customs which accumulated up to that periods and with Iberians and Anglo-Saxons in charge of expanding the faith in time for the American conquests. All the developments of the Renaissance didn't find support in all of the relevant centers of Christianity either.

That was very informative. The only thing I'd say as a person born in an Orthodox country is that the priesthood is incredibly corrupt. That is to say, the people you deal with on a day to day basis tend to be absolute shitlords that expect money for doing any sort of service for believers, the sort of people that don't deserve to wear the mantle. At the same time, I haven't seen anything in the Protestant/Catholic traditions (or even Judaism, really) that mirrors the reclusive monkish tradition to be found in Orthodoxy. The monks you'll find in secluded places tend to be incredibly thoughtful and nice people that would cu

Fuck, I accidentally posted.
I was going to say that Orthodox monks (as completely opposed to Orthodox priests) tend to be the sort of people that would cut their own arm off to feed you if you were starving. I have nothing but praise for them. At the same time, they're definitely less scholarly and more akin Eastern monks in some ways. Definitely a lot more absentminded, detached, and relying more on direct experience than reason to ground their beliefs.

I don't know if reclusive monasticism has it's roots in pre-Christian culture but it seemed to not be present much in Judaic culture unless maybe taking into account the behavior of John the Baptist and Jesus himself in the desert.
In Protestantism it was done away with and replaced of a more inclusive and worldly lay asceticism.

Holy shit is this true. So far I've met a total of one Orthodox priest who wasn't an asshat (And that guy was really worthy of respect). The monks were all amazing people.

t. barbarian of the barbarians of the barbarians