ITT: Post your favorite sculpture

ITT: Post your favorite sculpture

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rape_of_Proserpina
smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/stonehenge-visitors-used-be-handed-chisels-take-home-souvenirs-180949976/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

lol nice dick nigga

i love this girl...

Bernini or GTFO

It's funny because it wouldn't be as great if it were complete, but as it is, it's magnificent.

dat phidian drapery

>Pluto
>Not Hades
Bernini was truly a pleb

Makes no sense too, it should be either Hades and Persephone or Pluto and Proserpina.

It takes skill to make marble look like flesh.

also its sexy af

>those faint veins
>those sculpted muscles
>the illusion of hands pressed into flesh
>the ability to make the clothes look like they would flutter in the wind if a stray breeze came through

fucking beautiful

>implying it's not a metaphor for the romans raping and stealing greek culture

More information on this, of you have.

I love this one

give me qt minerva gf

what a fucking annoying statue lmao

>watashi wa, Girugames des

beautiful

oops not a sculpture

>implying the name of the statute isn't simply: The Rape of Proserpina, making all your bickering pointless
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rape_of_Proserpina

Where is this??

Lichas literally did nothing wrong

>tfw no qt virgin goddess gf
why live?

Switzerland. It's called the Lion Monument.

sharing some more Bernini

tired of casuals only knowing the meme of prosperina

>No one has posted the Dying Gaul

hellenistic statues are great and they appease to our modern sensibilities

>you'll never have soft and curly pubes like that

>Carved into the cliff face, the monument measures ten meters in length and six meters in height.
Wow you really don't get a sense of it's colossal size from that photo

le 53% face

what kind of god created these

That is super cool user, thanks for sharing

>cover one junk
>leave the other guy's flapping in the wind

In every thread a Polack would come with some laughable crap

Someone told me all this nice white marble would have been painted bright colors when they were new
Meme history or truth?

The sad truth

IIRC Marble statues are just Roman copies of Greek bronze statues. My question is if the bronze ones were painted

Truth for Roman statues. They were originally painted over several times to give them a realistic appearance.

I don't get why people find this hard to believe. Dyes and paints of that caliber would've been an insane display of wealth, oppulence, and power.

Imagine you're visiting Rome for the first time, if you're a noble or a dignitary you've probably seen bronze statues before or something more basic. You enter the city and before you is a life like replica of a Caesar Augustus. As if he were reborn and put on a pedestal down to his clothes. His hair his face. It all looks life like.

That shit would be mindblowing. The clean marble look is aesthetic but for the ancient world realistic painted statues was a massive show of power.

This was created by a German though.

Have to go with Nike

Certain details would be painted or bejeweled but the bodies would be left the natural golden bronze. Otherwise what would be the point of casting in bronze if you're going to cover it up?

>what would be the point of casting in bronze if you're going to cover it up
Same reason you'd cover up beautiful marble

But Greeks didn't have the aesthetic appreciation of marble in the same way Renaissance Italians did, it was more of a material.

wew

POWERFUL

>dude naturalism

fuck off

This is my all time favourite.

>tags: handholding, leglock, impregnation

Amazing. Can sculptors do marblework like that today?

Now post the Shadman pic

>W-well
>This is me

Anyone have that one with the Greek God who stole fire and gave it to Man? I can't remember the name.

>pinnacle of gothic sculpture
>laughable crap

Promêtheús ?

What the fuck is your problem you dumb fucking retard?

A True monument of Feminism. Equally out of place, annoying and interfering with other people business just because

Where do I find decent quality pictures for this stuff? I've been trying to get an art folder with all the names and dates going but I've been using wikipedia for the images and half the time the quality is abysmal and I can't find anything better.

>events taking place less than 25 years ago

smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/stonehenge-visitors-used-be-handed-chisels-take-home-souvenirs-180949976/

This one is great to admire from any angle

looks kinda cool

Someone get this man a burger

Fuck you, hellen fag. I'm sick of you mother fuckers.
>muh greek is better than latin
>muh greeks were more sophisticated
>muh romans just copied
Through most of the modern era everything was written in latin and referred to by its latin name
any book written before 1950 refers to names in latin
but you motherfuckers have to come around and put everything in greek, just to fuck it up
Classics departments are plagued by you hellenfags

lemme tell you something
The greeks were pussies who fully deserved the assblasting they got from the romans because the romans did everything the greeks did, but better

also latin is harder than greek pussy, learn a real language

>not speaking both latin and ancient greek
plebian undergrad detected

what the hell

That's the name!

>Latin is harder than Greek
maybe
>Latin is easier than ancient koine Greek
Definitely

napeleon stole them btw.

Enrico dandolo stole them first.

Enrico did nothing wrong he was good boy.

Enrico's body should be moved under the Hagia Sophia's latrines for all eternity.

Just wonderful. Not particularly from a technical standpoint, but that's not why I like it.

People think that Greeks and Romans made the statues with small dick because they thought it was aesthetic.

The real reason is if they made statues with big dicks thats what people would look at, and not what the statue was depicting.

It's probably because they didn't want to make horny statues. How big is the average dick while flaccid? Not very big.

o-oh my