How does a 705-pound bomb destroy a 45,000-ton battleship?

How does a 705-pound bomb destroy a 45,000-ton battleship?

Whoops, meant to post this on /k/.

hurrrr how doez a 10 oz bullet kill a 170 lb human

>durrr humans are like battleships

>A 705lb bomb can only destroy 705lbs-worth of a 45,000 ton ship so why did it sink?

It makes a big hole and the Italian/Japanese sucked at damage control

>Battlecruisers are a good idea

>Battlecruisers were bad because a group of British battlecruisers were destroyed by a group of German battlecruisers.

>pound
>oz
>lb
tfw you have to deal with ancient people. Ooga booga, take me to your leader, me have good blankets for you, give your daughter to me.

Boogle oogle

Wlc to Veeky Forums

One could easily make the same analogy with anti-tank weapons vs tanks.

>705-pound bomb
>Hit by two Fritz-X, each 3000 pound
go trolling somewhere else

How does 1000 tonnes of cordite igniting internally blow up a battleship?

>bomb smashes into compartments
>water fills compartments
>if crew fails to watertight the compartments fast enough, loses buoyancy and sinks

Basically you let physics do the work for you. Also extra points if amnunition storage is hit.

How does a few ton of jet fuel destroy 3 buildings weighting 100000 tons?

How does a 10g bullet kill an 80 kg man?

Yes

>jet fuel can't melt steel beams

Gimme a wrench and the right diagram...

Or, these days, an authorized USB stick (maybe not even that, I'm sure there's some x86's or PSP/CSME CPU's in there).

705lbs of even just classic TNT will blow through quite a bit of metal. Pack it in something and drop it from height, onto something that's also packed with explosives, and well... Yeah. Bomb go *boom*, ship go *boom*, sailors go *garglegarglegargle*.

Well the Formula for Kinetic Energy (KE) is KE = (1/2)mv^2. So we have a 705 lb bomb which equals ~319.8 kg. Our formula for Velocity(v) is v = d/t. So say we dropped our bomb from 1,000 feet? That's 304.8 meters. Objects normally fall 1000 ft in around 5.5 seconds. So d = 304.8m and t = 5.5s, that makes our v = 55.3m/s. Our end equation is KE = (1/2)*(319.8)(55.3^2). Our result is 488,988.6 Joules of Kinetic Energy. A joule is equal to 1 kilogram per meter of force. Which basically translates into a lot of force you fucking idiot. (Also if Veeky Forums is watching pls check my math)

well yeah

shoot a bullet in the head you drop
drop a bomb in the right spot it rips the ship apart

shoot a bullet in the leg, it hurts
drop a bomb in a fortified place, the ship can limp back to base

>shoot a bullet in the leg, it hurts

>guns don't kill people...

You're right, it's mostly the bullets. Although a stock to the face can be pretty deadly, too

>bomb
>kinetic energy weapon

>bomb penetrates deck
>goes into ammo room
>blows up
Suddenly that 750 lbs bomb blows up hundreds of naval shells inside the ship

Bombs may not be classed as a KE weapon but it doesn't mean they aren't packing a massive amount of force from their speed and weight before the fuse does its job.

Also some bombs are literally old battleship shells with a changed casing.