Live in Ontario Canada

>Live in Ontario Canada
>Did poorly in highschool so couldn't go to any university
>Want to go now because gov made it free
>Too brainlet to actually do well in the highschool math courses I need to re-do (Advanced functions, Calculus and Vectors)

Am I just a brainlet or is there something I can still do to make it? I want to study finance or accounting.

Other urls found in this thread:

shared.uoit.ca/shared/department/registrar/admissions/admission-requirements.pdf
wallstreetoasis.com/blog/do-i-need-math-for-finance
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nah, you're fucked

t.senior in hs in etobicoke

you are shit at math.

why study something you are shit in?

study something you are good in and maybe you will be able to graduate.

Why am I fucked? Isn't there tons of people who did this?

Okay, okay, there are quite a few finance courses that can be done just with a data management credit.

People are shit at anything they don't practice or dedicate enough effort to. That's like saying I'm shit at running or playing tennis if I've literally never given a crap about it or tried.

Haven't seen a uni program that doesn't require advanced functions and calculus.

>want to study a math intensive subject
>terrible at math
Just learn a trade ffs

Math is a skill at that level. You can do something called practice it.

If you don't understand a concept then google different teaching sources.

If you don't know the name of the concept use the syllabus or textbook from your class then google it.

shared.uoit.ca/shared/department/registrar/admissions/admission-requirements.pdf

UoIT has an admission average of 76%, and the business courses simply require just one of the 4 courses listed

How much math does finance have beyond basic arithmetic let's be honest here...

wallstreetoasis.com/blog/do-i-need-math-for-finance

This and other resources say you don't need much math.

>Calculus

>As far as I can tell, it's only useful when you're taking derivatives for a pricing/trading model in quantitative trading. Although it's definitely helpful to generally know how derivatives work and what they mean for a function.

sorry man, but honestly, if you cant simply pass advanced functions and calc in highschool you are going to have a rough time in accounting.

Honestly, at least at my old university (in ontario) my buddy was in accounting and it wasn't too math heavy but it puts HS math to shame

If its a matter of you being lazy its one thing, but if you are that much of a brainlet that you struggle that much with HS level math I would not suggest you try to study a major that inloves a decent (albiet not too difficult) ammount of math.

I'd suggest finance over acounting, as the math needed is a whole lot lower. If you are looking at those fields just becaeyus of the job prospects you might be better off looking at a different degree desu. Sorry buddy, but sometimes you might want to face reality than starting a program you aren't cut out for and then dropping out

Also, as an aside, although my buddy in accounting had to take a number of math courses, as far as I coudl tell, his actually acounting classes used fairly basic arithmatic and simple calculus. It could get more invovled though, that is just what it seemed liek to me.

That being said, even if you aren't that great at math, you can definetly improve by doing tons of practice problems. So start with that, anyway. If you need a good source, I used PatrickJMT on youtube to get through my math courses (have a chem degree)

Yeah but that's a literally who school let alone for business. I want to go to an actual decent school.

Okay I'll try just working on it more. Maybe the issue can be fixed once it makes more sense for me. I'm also really worried about then being too brainlet for actual university. How hard is it

Beggars can't be choosers

Academic performance is not overly correlated with IQ. In fact, IQ tends to be a shit indicator of scholastic performance.

Work smart, and hard. Use Khanacademy, do lots of practice papers and don't underestimate how much work people around you are doing. It will be tough, but keep trying and it will get better.

also OP, the name of the school is really meaningless for the most part, as long as its not complete shit.

For just an undergrad, no one really gives a fuck where you went. The most important part would be getting in to a co-op program. it would be better to go to a shit school in co-op than the reverse

It's honestly not too bad once you get used to it, but you do have to work quite a bit.

I did quite well in HS without much work and so I was kinda in for a schock when I got to uni simply in terms of the amount of work you had to do iwth all the assignments, reports, exams etc. so I struggled at first Once I got myself sorted out more and put in a little effort my grades improved a lot and I was getting all As.

So again, the biggest challenge really is not being lazy. I belize almost anyone can get through it if they just put the work in, some will jsut have to work harder than others.

Here are a couple tips I slowly learned that helped myself in particular a lot (although not all mypeers agreed with me):

1. Study every single class with flash cards. I mean every class. I stopped takign notes completely and only made flash cards. A good program for this is called Anki. For problem based classes its harder to to do this 100%, but it lets you nail the theory. You still need to do practice problems

2. Sometimes lectures are worthless and sometimes the textbook is worthless. If you have a poor lecturer, or an early morning class you are gonna not pay attention in, just don't go unless you absolutley have to. If the material can be easily supplemented with the book or posted lecture slides, your time is better spent sleeping and studying well rested. On the other side of the coin, if the book is bad, or just regergatating what the prof said, dont bother with the readings, its a waste of time.

cont

3. If its a problem based class, do them over and over and over and over. Well in advanced. It often helps to assist someone with their studying and explain the answer to them. It makes sure you trully understand the problem

4. Do your flashcards regularily for brief periods of time. I used to do them on my bus ride to school every day. You will be amazed how effective it is. Come exam time, you will know almost all the material without studying at all if you made the flash cards correctly

5. It migth sound weird, but if you are a strong procrastinator, if you know deep down that you just arent' gonna get any school work done on a friday night, just don't bother trying. I used to sit around and stress about it but not get anything done, which would keep me stressed out because I wouldn't let myself relax. It's important to give yourself breaks when you need them, but also be strict and keep powering through your work

I promise you user, if you really apply yourself, you will get through what you want to get through. I hope what I told you helped.

We are all gonna make it buddy

I don't understand how the name is "meaningless". Doesn't that reflect the recruitment, networking and co-op opportunities of the school?

As for the rest, thanks that's reassuring. I think my primary issue I never really learned how to study which is probably the only thing particularly holding me back above everything else.

this is bs. I did accounting and it was adding subtracting etc. Really not high level math.

i mean that in the sense that as long as teh school is decent, the co-op / networking opportunities should be relatively the same. I would look as to what universities are in the same cities as major accounting firms / where most recent grads are hired and try to get in there. Don't write off a school's co-op prospects just because of the name is what im trying to get at. It would be worth the time to look into the school specifically and you might be surprised (for example I've heard Brock has co-op program although not being an accounting student I can't say that is true, i was just told that. But anyway that is not a prestigous school by any means)

I meant the name doens't mean a whole lot like for example, someone might be impressed you went to med school at mcgill over lakehead, but if you studied accouting at lakehead vs mcgill (or whatever a good accoutning school is) the employer would likely not care.

Yeah that's what i said about his actual accounting classes. He just had to take a number of Math courses to get his degree; Calc1, calc2, linear algebra, stats, etc etc.

I know that's not that high level math, but it is relatively to highschool level

Yeah true, I think it's more the reputation of the program. Laurier seems like a really subpar school in every area except for Business where it has (supposedly) the largest business co op program in Canada and graduate outcomes.

khanacademy will save your life

Why is it free?

government gibsmedats