Why don’t more people know their family history? How do you not know where your ancestors came from?

Why don’t more people know their family history? How do you not know where your ancestors came from?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gJpy6PoiRwg?t=58
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Cause my family was dirt poor and illiterate.

Many times records don't exist for one reason or another. My great-grandmother was born in a hospital that subsequently burned down, and she was an orphan, so there's no records anywhere.

My sister tracked down the family tree of our mother and the furthest she reached was a rape of a housemaid. I guess it's fun to know I'm alive because some farmhead raped his maid, but I have no connection to any of my ancestors who I have not met in person and I have no interest to know who they were.

But that doesn’t prevent parents from telling their children where they came from, and then them telling their children and so on down the line. The orphan thing is different though, there would probably be no way of telling where they were originally from

>I have no connection to any of my ancestors who I have not met in person

If you’re referring to direct ancestors that are dead, you are literally a part of them

because there´s usually incest, rape and cucking to be found and people hate that

some peasants from Austria on one side and some peasants from Poland on the other
Not very interesting

Who cares? Most people's ancestors were a bunch of boring fucking faggots. For everyone who was descended from the king there's a thousand people who are descended from the servants who cleaned his shoes. This goes double for Euro-colonials (Americans this means you) who are universally descended from losers, weirdoes, and social rejects of no consequence.

I share some genes with them, but that does not mean I have to feel kinship with them. It's idiotic to feel connected to these people you didnt know just because they indirectly allowed you to be born.

Because most people aren't interested enough to learn about the lives of nobodies who lived centuries ago doing absolutely nothing important

poor people never do

My (paternal) family and almost every family it has married into have been middle class for hundreds of years so I know all my family's history back generations and generations because we just casually speak about it and there's an unbroken line

All it takes is one or two generations of disinterest and everyone thereafter would have to dig through records and shit to find out.

I really don't know much beyond my great grand-parents.
My wife on her paternal side is rather colorful. Beaners that have been in the U.S. since the 1920s. Both of her great grand-fathers were U.S. soldiers during WW2. One in Europe and the other in Pacific.

embrace that rape

My ancestor was a Ming Chinese general who settled in Korea after fighting for it in Japanese invasion because he realized Ming dynasty would collapse pretty soon

Huguenots that ended up settling on the German side of the Rhine only to reconvert to Catholicism some hundred years later.

maybe we have autist parents

apparantly ww2 made alot of autists

My grandmother says that you can trace down one line in the family all the way to the 1300s, and that there's several streets in Paris named for them, but really she might be exaggerating.

I think the thing that explains why people aren't so hellbent on discovering their history is that you'll find what you're searching for in most cases. You're bound to have thousands upon thousands of ancestors. You'll find a wealthy land-owner if you keep your eye out for him, just as you will a poor serf if that's what you have in mind. Nobody's very special in that regard, and people know that you don't differentiate yourself that much by your family's past since everyone has a wealth of different things.

>great grandfather
>WW2
Did everyone in her family have children by age 16?

t. whose dad is a walking corpse already

ppl had kids in their 20s, not everyones mom is a golddigger

American here, also a 17th generation Virginian. My first ancestor came over from Lancashire in 1635. I’ve had ancestors that died in the tower of London, served in the House of Burgesses and fought in almost every war to take place in North America. I’m actually named after one of my ancestors who fought with the 17th Va Cavalry in the Civil War. Not everyone was a winner but that doesn’t make it any less interesting to me.

My family was a bunch of Normans that invaded into Britain, eventually found their way to Scotland and founded a clan that is spread around the world now.

My grandad fought in ww2 and had my dad when he was in his early 20s, then my parents had me in their late 20s. My dad is currently 60. Your story don’t add up desu

Most of my family’s history was dirt poor. My moms side consists of poor Spanish peasants and poor Scottish immigrant farmers. My Dads side of the family is more cool. They sort of involved in the history of Toronto. They founded some part of Toronto. One blew up a fort in the War of 1812 and stopped an American attack by killing the General with the explosion.

But the reason most people don’t know is cause it’s boring. Who wants to know that their family were dirt poor Europe’s peasants for hundreds of years.

Pretty sick, you still have family in korea?

This. Only beta bois need to take credit for dead peoples accomplishments.

it's not about taking credit fag

>taking pride/being interested in your heritage is taking credit for your ancestors accomplishments

So you're a filthy Chinese LARPing as a Korean
t. Korean family since the early Silla

Most of my ancestors were converted to Mormanism and went to Utah from europe in the 1800s and Its pretty hard to find good records before then.

You can only tell so much about your parents and grand parents, their profession and who they were. Especially when your family have stuck to one profession for generations.

That's not mentioning faulty memory.
youtu.be/gJpy6PoiRwg?t=58

i really hate you for posting that and i hate myself for watching it all

Time stamped the "pass it on scene" but didn't work out it seems.

nah it did

Does it matter if you are american?

>implying I don't
on my mom's side we've been living in the same village since at least 1694, on my dad's side we've traced back to 1720's

They are the ones who brag the most about their lineage.
And it dominates their very lives to this day.

I did say Beaners.

Nothing special desu.
Both sides of my family were farmers for generations, appearantly my mother's side were rich farmers with quite a bit of land by my mother's grandfather sold the land and used it up.

My ancestors were English, Dutch, Scottish, and Irish colonials.

>implying Europeans aren’t all descended from serfs and peasants

At least our ancestors are interesting and did something to better their lives

Interesting enough for you to say your 1/3 cherokee, and cause of that you voted so and so, and behave like this and that.

Unless your nobility or going through your pagan phase, your lineage has nothing to do with who you are as a person in yurop.