from an irrelevant backwater kingdom

> from an irrelevant backwater kingdom
> destroys one of the largest and most powerful empires
> claims undefeated, being outnumbered at some times 10 to 1
> claims he had a near death experience every fucking battle
> had to turn around because muh troops were tired
> expects people to believe it

What really happened to the persian empire for it to collapse? Did he really just single handedly defeat a completely stable and functional superpower by winning battles alone? How much of this was fabricated? Was this guy even real? Has greek storytelling fooled the world?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Corinth
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Macedonia
>Irrelevant backwater kingdom

The macedonians were able to invent a groundbreaking technology: longer sticks. With these longer sticks and ergo longer spears they just went ham on Greeks and later Persians all the way up to modern day Pakistan.

Brainlet

>> from an irrelevant backwater kingdom

They were considered "backwards" and non-Greek by Greek snobs. But that's just a cultural assessment. Macedonia was a normal and quite strong kingdom. Greeks viewed anyone not greek as beneath them.

>Did he really just single handedly defeat a completely stable and functional superpower by winning battles alone?

I heard that the Persian Empire of the time was quite militarily poor, decentralized, and that the Satraps would just switch allegiance to him after Alexander came in. Thus it's quite believable that a strong military force could then come in and be unstopped.

The Persian Empire had a tiny army relative to its size. Most of the battle statistics are exaggerated. Macedon had been building up it's power for decades prior, so it wasn't that backwater anymore. When Alexander invaded Persia, he exploited the tensions between the Persians and their subjects, presenting himself as a benign liberator. Of course, his real objective was to take over the Persian Empire, not to dismantle it. It only disintegrated in the power struggle after his death.

>defeats an empire on it's sick bed
whoa

This.

Compared to the other Greek states? You could definitely argue ot was a backwater. They were barbarians compared to the Greeks.

>t. john green

>it's another "Alexander's conquests totally didn't happen, guyz!!!1!" thread

>defeats dying shitholes
>runs away at the first sight of a competent army
Alexander the "Great"

I really want to know about all this conspiracy about Macedonia. I discuss it with my friends every day, after fullfiling flat earth chat.

Are you fucking serious? Philip II was the most influential man/king in all of Hellas. Have you even read Demosthenes phillipines?
Macedonia was a threat that even athens could no longer contain, Alexander just inherited daddy's plans. Philip was always going to invade the east after uniting Hellas

This. Phillip was an intelligent and powerful man, and Alexander was no fluke. That man had one of the smartest people in history tutor him for many years, he also had a top tier daddy with loads of money. Alexander the great is batman in real life.

The absolute state of Veeky Forums
For the love of God I hope this is just shitty bait

user I think you're getting your centuries mixed up. Philip II, Alexander's father, had made most of Greece bow down to Macedonia.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Corinth

>I heard that the Persian Empire of the time was quite militarily poor, decentralized, and that the Satraps would just switch allegiance to him after Alexander came in. Thus it's quite believable that a strong military force could then come in and be unstopped.
This is true, the Achaemenid Empire had been declining for a while before Alexander invaded. The Persian tax rates were insanely high, and the economy suffered greatly. The taxes were so high that Alexander's army found immense vaults of silver after the conquest. The Hellenistic Era saw a 300 year economic boom from all the money re-introduced into the economy.

Bruh it’s like comparing the entire state of Texas to just San Francisco or NYC. It may be “backwater” but it’s way more powerful.

>It may be “backwater” but it’s way more powerful.

This is what l meant, lads. They were a cultural backwater. Not irrelevant as OP says by any means, but their niggerdom was unrivaled in the region.

That's quite untrue, pella the capital was far superior to other greek cities at the time, with superior infrastructure and sanitation.

Wait for it...

Phillip didn't have enough plans to invade the east, at least, not the same way Alexander did. Phillip wanted a Mediterranean Empire that consisted of all of the Greeks in Europe and then some. It's quite a different vision than Alexander's land based conquests.

>Did he really just single handedly defeat a completely stable and functional superpower by winning battles alone?
Adorable. Go read the Anabasis. Persia was a tattered husk, ready to collapse at the first sharp shove.

He probably wouldn't have progressed so spectacularly if Atraxerxes III hadn't been assassinated by his traitorous enunch/minister Bagoas and the inept Darius III was put on the throne.

He was a Judaeo-reptillian plant obviously.

when did he willingly run away? he turned back at india because his troops mutinied.