*blocks your path*

*blocks your path*
what you do.

Ram them head-on with my heavy cavalry.

tactical nuke

I've never played these strategy games before but I really want to try one, which RTS game does Veeky Forums recommend for a beginner?

turn 360 degrees and walk away

That is a very broad topic.

Age of Mythology

Total War is the way to go man. I'd avoid later titles, say Rome II and beyond, since there's a learning curve with how the games work. Rome 1 would be the simplest, but all others after build off it's core gameplay.

destroy them
they're one of the worst infantry units in the game

oh and Age of Empires definitely

>not using only horse archers
It's like you don't even know how to play the game

Shogun 2 total war is the best vanilla entry into total war and pretty great if you like the nip aesthetic and time period.

shogun 2, medieval 2 and empire get a lot of flak, medieval 1 and shogun 1 are old

Better question. How do you win with these shitty units?

Get RTW Alex and install EB mod.

medieval 2 is great. It's arguably the best TW game with SS mod
Shogun 2 has only one faction
Empire is just a broken mess (still fun with mods)

>Wat do

Smile as i can now rout their entire army by scaring them with a single cavalry charge

VULOMEVS

>How do you win with these shitty units?

You don't, cataophracts motherfucker

Thanks Lads, I'm going to try Total War out since I have a little extra spending money

see full stack of Horse Archers will delete anything on map
you might have trouble with sieges but just wait them out until they're forced to rally out and then delete them then

Just choose the game series that has the most appealing mechanics, and the individual games in those series that have the most interesting setting.

Total War: These games focus on commanding units in battle. There is a campaign map and it can be comfy sometimes, but it always takes a backseat to the battles. Diplomacy is absolutely broken in the earlier games. I would stay away from Empire and Napoleon, but the other entries in the series are solid. Rome 1 is just as good as Rome 2, it has worse graphics but better mods.

Paradox games: These are about micromanaging states. The gameplay actually differs a lot between games. Crusader Kings 2 is about feudal politics, Europa Universalis IV is about exploration and colonization, Victoria 2 is about industrialization and supply and demand economics, and Hearts of Iron 3 and 4 are all about micromanaging military units during World War II.

Age of Empires: These take place on an isometric map where your goal is to build a city, churn out units, and then annihilate the other players. They are comfy but they aren't history simulators like the other game series.

I'm really interested in the Roman Era and WWII but I really like the idea of building a city and fighting other players. Probably pick up Total War first and then Age of Empires

Agreed with this, the factions lack a lot of diversity but Rome 1 and Medieval 2 have not aged well while Shogun 2 is a much more modern offering without a lot of the older offerings issues.

Rome 2 is alright, Atilla is hard mode and Warhammer is total war prime but it's all fantasy so.

>Rome 1 and Medieval 2 have not aged well

Rome 1 is a classic. If you want to go full autistic with the historical accuracy, you should check out Europa Barbarorum. It's a mod made by actual historians and it's pretty fun as well. It's also worth getting Medieval 2 if you want to play as Rome, since the EB creators upgraded their mod to that game. Rome 2 was really controversial at release but it's been patched to be decent. Attila is awesome, it takes place in the late Roman Empire and it's your objective to survive the barbarian migrations or join them (there's an awesome expansion for Rome 1 that also takes place in this period).

Rome 1 is only 9.99 on Steam, might pick that up and if I like it I'll shell out the money for Rome II

*unzips spear*

>watches his units spaghetti into massive lines trying to pathfind onto walls whole the entire "siege" is just two blobs of infantry bumping into one another.

Rome 1 is full of memes, you will have fun

Get Roma Surrectum II if you care to go through the process of getting it to work with Steam.

Get an elephant going and start a PAJAMA PARTY

Haven't played Rome II but apparently it's a massive letdown. TW: Atilla is the better-regarded successor to Rome I.

And this is somehow worse than sieges in Warhammer?

sieges in TW have always been shit

Med 2 & Rome 1 are the easiest TW games to learn. Don't pay any of the 18th/19th century games you'll get btfo.

>VULOMEVS
>not PROSTAGMA
one job...

Europa Barbaroum

by deleting them to make room for more horse archers or cataphracts

I know the historical aspect is not as strong, but is Civ V any good? There was a sale last night and I'm tired of blobbing all over east Asia right now.

Rome II is fixed, it's not a bad game anymore, and if you can get it on sale (it usually goes down all the way to $15), then it's well worth it, plus, they're releasing a new DLC set during the Crisis of the Third Century.

>no doomstacks
No it's shit

>Don't pay any of the 18th/19th century games you'll get btfo
Probably won't get BTFO'd, but it is really frustrating when the enemy units having guns pretty much make tactics irrelevant unless you get extremely lucky. You'll still win with good tactics, but it's much more costly in Napoleon or Shogun II FotS than it is in the games that focus on melee combat.

I thought they were really good in Attila. Not sure how I feel about Constantinople basically being totally immune to assault though.

i found it pretty boring desu
it lacks the depth of the previous games and while pretty, it just didn't interest me as much as Civ IV did
For example, Civ IV, most civ units looked different if the region differed, in Civ V they all look the same, whether it's a German, Egyptian or Japanese archer unit. It's little things like these that just make me want to play Civ IV again

There's a mod that fixes that.

If you go for Rome 2, get the Divide et Impera modification set, or "DEI" as it's tagged, it makes the game far more in depth, historically accurate and interesting!

meh, the music is boring, the graphics are all style over substance, the interface is terrible, the warscape engine battles went from broken to barely functioning. It's a gaudy mediocrity.

One of my favorite units, you don't need many to hold up any line of infantry, with a general nearby they last just long enough to get one or two charges in, when the enemies rout from cav, they are faster than heavily armored Romans and can actively cslhase them down.

>CA make big announcement on new Total War game
>say its from an era they haven't done yet
>will it be China? pre-Colombian America? Bronze Age near east?
>nope its Rome 2.3

>CA say they're making a new DLC for either the Hellenistic age game, or the late Roman empire game.
>any times before would be just more Hellenistic age and any times after have been done in Age of Charlemagne and the Medieval games.
>who'da thunk that the only period in between the two games is coincidentally the one they chose, especially since it's a DLC for one of the two games.

If you want to try something more hardcore, Close Combat is awesome, i only liked the Cross of Iron/Russian front tho, its also hard to get working torrent.

fight the pajama men with literally any unit that costs more than 300 denarii....they'll rout in seconds

Rome 1 has aged well and the sieges in the later games are almost if not just as broken.

This, Civ IV is still better because the doomstacks and some of the mechanics.

You have the new DLC for Rome 2, an coming "saga" game (seperate game focusing on a small period of time, hints have pointed to viking age Ireland/Britain) and lastly a new Total War title (think Rome 2, Shogun 2 and Empire) set in a new era.

how is that "saga" officaly called?

Why does CA make eastern infantry so shitty?

TRIARII

RTS are gay

I thought this is a mod.

I would take a unit of Greek hoplites and camp it in the corner of the map.

The OP looks like vanilla RTW

Have breast cancer.

CA uses a lot of meme history to base their games on, and usually overpower the 'main' faction with lots of unique or above-average troops.

Only fight other factions that also field pajama men. Always bring more PJs to the fight. Have spare PJ stacks in case the main one dies.

Rome 2

*Will never get through a Phalanx*

Rome 2 is the only one I actually like for some reason

Laught at their silly pink uniforms until they run away crying.

Greetings fellow arab

Civ IV with the C2C mod is pretty much a GS.

Total War Warhammer. It's not Veeky Forums but it's the game that finally got me into the strategy genre. Part of what helped for me is that the UI is fucking immaculate (and even better in the sequel), clunky and difficult to navigate interfaces have turned me off many a grand strategy game in the past. The gameplay variety between the different races while still keeping things relatively balanced is excellent too. If you have even a passing interest in Warhammer or just fantasy in general I'd strongly recommend it, and as I said before the sequel is even better.

This, literally order your men to point and laugh at them.

Atilla, Shogun 2, Rome 1, and Medieval are great

Rome 2 and Nappy are okay

Warhammer, Empire, and the original Shogun/M1 should be avoided. Especially minor settlements being forced to sally forward in Warhammer because lol, no common sense town defense.

Rome total war, the first one not the second one.
You should also try Medieval 2 total war. Those are the best two games out of the series.
shee-haah

>they take damage from charging into combat
>you can lose an entire unit of cavalry by rear charging heavy infantry
>implying this isn't how ancient and medieval sieges went
>he doesn't use siege towers and only builds one ram
pleb, your men wouldn't blob if you didnt try and force 3,000 men into a single 20 foot gap.
>literally using grass tied together for a shield
>expects them to be good
shiggy

cataophracts can even take on "hoplite" (phalanx) militia unit head on, they just jump over the pikes in original game.

the game was hollywood history.
>egypt is literally from the mummy

Fuck off

spam berserkers

>i-its not a good game
ebin

they will die on the charge, The bad thing about cavalry physics in Rome total war is their own mass works against them, heavy cavalry can decimate itself on an enemy which does no damage other itself just having a decent mass rating.
there are less horses in a cavalry unit than there are men in an infantry unit so cav will just lose in a fight of mass vs mass.
That's why wedge was so effective in the game because only your first 10 guys would die then you'd land the charge bonus and your cav would engage in melee.

Rome Total War still has the least cluttered and best UI. It even has a campaign map that doesn't give you a migraine

How to I deal with CTDs in Rome: Total War?

Wasn't pink and purple dye extremely expensive back then?

Yeah it only came from sea snails

idk what were you doing, but due to this i always conquered half of Seleucids and Caucasus using 6 cataphract units, loosing like 30 men in each battle while enemy about 2000

it's not bad, it just isn't the "OMG BEST TW GAME EVER" that people who played Warhammer as their first TW game claim it to be.
You just like the setting, that's ok. But campaign is garbage and only battles are any good

yes
realistically units would also probably wear simple greys,whites,greens and blacks due to dye being very expensive
Rome Total Realism was big on this

Which faction to play as?

fuck off freshcunt

le ebin blood for the blood god xd ADD faggots like you ruined the franchise

It's a new kind of series called "Saga". It seems to be focused on specific conflicts instead of eras. I suppose Napoleon Total War and Fall of the Samurai are the most similar titles to this new concept.

> not using 50/50 pikemen and arty

Pontus

EU4 is the only strategy game worth playing

EU4 is fucking shit

you suck

Not as much as that bloated piece of shit and it's gay mana system

aight the mana system does suck i agree with that, but TW is still basic as fuck

Company of heroes