What's your favorite mythological story?

What's your favorite mythological story?

Personally, since I'm an artist, I enjoy stories about artistic inspiration and creation. There's a lot of those out there.

Do you have any to recommend?
Any good books about myths to recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

sacred-texts.com/nam/sw/pifs/index.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I love mythology too! Definitely read Campbell to get started -- he makes the stories very engaging, then pick the ones you like and explore books about those myth systems further.

thanks for the recommendation!
I'm working my way through The White Goddess by Robert Graves right now, which is very dense, but it's as rewarding as it is difficult. The more I learn about myths, the more I realize just how useful and valuable they are for conducting myself in the real world. A good myth can be truly enlightening.

I started getting into mythology after I listened to Jordan Peterson's "Maps of Meaning" lectures. I would definitely recommend them if you're into mythology. He's such an engaging speaker, and he brings great insight into the stories he talks about. Ignore the people saying that he's an alt-right charlatan cult leader. He has a somewhat bad rap, but he is quite brilliant.

I want to read The Hero with a Thousand Faces or maybe The Power of Myth next.

Campbell is a hack.

how so?

Regardless of your opinion of Campbell, I think he's very good to at least get started on mythology

My personal favourite is Arthurian mythology, so you could perhaps read Malory for some very iconic scenes (or even Tennyson, for a more poetic twist on them). British lore is fantastic, and I recommend checking it out.

i like bulfinches mythology myself

I have an old copy of Idylls of the King (from the late 19th century I believe) that I got from a library book sale. I still haven't read it though. I'll add it to my list

My favorite mythological story is the holocau$t.

Iliad and Odyssey are still the best ! Have you read them ?

The bible is a great mythological book. It inspires me to be a good goy and put refugees and Israel first.

Either Pelops' Chariot Race or Herodotus' story about how the alliance between Cyprus and Egypt ended because the Cyprian's king was so lucky that a ring he threw into the sea was swallowed by a fish and served to him at his palace.
Also please take comparative mythology with a pinch of salt, especially when someone is trying to use it to argue a moral point!

I also adore Malory's Morte, especially the part where Sir Bors has to fight his brother. You're never too old for T. H. White.

I lile the one where a lonely sperg made a statue of his waifu, the gods took pity on him and gave life to his waifu

>What's your favorite mythological story?
The labors of Hercules as an allegory for the passage into manhood and maturity

In the beginning, Hercules murders his wife and children in a fit of mother-inspired madness, demonstrating his youthful enslavement to his passions. His story is laboring to achieve redemption and liberation from one's own flawed humanity

Slay the Lion -- real men are strong, throttling a beast whose hide is too tough to be shot from afar with arrows
Slay the Hydra -- it is not enough to simply be strong but one must also possess situational awareness, the ability to think on one's feet and adapt to a dynamic situation.
Capture the Hind -- true strength is a measurement of contrast, only as strong as it is gentle, and patience is the measuring instrument
Capture the Boar -- stubbornness is a liability and no substitute for true patience, knowing what makes an opponent stubborn is knowing how to defeat them by playing them against their own strengths
Clean the Stables -- work smarter, not harder. Be warned that greed can easily undo both hard work and smart work
Slay the Birds -- Be willing to step outside your comfort zone, let trust be your guide in an unfamiliar swamp
Capture the Bull -- Tame your hypermasculine side, the part of you that craves aggressive sexual dominion, for it is toxic and creates abominations
Steal the Mares -- surviving in an uncaring society: it is not enough to be the master of your own world, but to master your reaction to the world around you
Obtain the Girdle -- Tame your hyperfeminine side, the part of you which is sneaky, manipulative, and passive-aggressive. Learn to see your mother as a person, rather than what she is only to you.
Herd the Cattle -- Play the long game, sticking to a plan even in the face of setbacks
Steal the Apples -- overcome the sadness of losing youth, learn to live without regrets
Capture the Cerberus -- overcome the fear of death, approach it unarmed and like an old friend

>What's your favorite mythological story?
the holohax; gets me how goys can be that fucking stupid every time

>The labors of Hercules as an allegory for the passage into manhood and maturity
>several of the lessons listed have no basis in Greek values
Greek men had no femininity, man and woman where completely distinct.
Victory Odes celebrate most of the virtues you claim are meant to be "discarded" with manhood. "Silence is no ornament for a successful man," honored Greeks were expected to be Greedy for fame, glory and wealth.
>overcome the fear of death, approach it unarmed and like an old friend
You're forgetting the words of Achilles in the Odyssey.
"I'd rather slave on earth for another man--
some dirt-poor tenant farmer who scrapes the earth to keep alive--
than rule down here over all the breathless dead"
A Greek man might face death with dignity, but they never welcomed death

>Greek men had no femininity, man and woman where completely distinct.
Nonsense. In Plato's Symposium men and women were thought to be separated halves of a single whole, once joined at the navels.
>Victory Odes celebrate most of the virtues you claim are meant to be "discarded" with manhood. "Silence is no ornament for a successful man," honored Greeks were expected to be Greedy for fame, glory and wealth.
the 5th labor makes it clear that too much greed is a bad thing: Eurystheus doesn't count the labor specifically because Hercules demands payment for his efforts
>You're forgetting the words of Achilles in the Odyssey.
Achilles was a hero who traded a long life of comfort for a short, violent life of glory. He burned hot, and died spectacularly. He is an entirely different archetypical hero from Hercules.
>A Greek man might face death with dignity, but they never welcomed death
It is only when we accept the fact that we will die some day that we learn to face it with dignity. To fear death is to flee from glory in the interest of safety

>In Plato's Symposium men and women were thought to be separated halves of a single whole
Yes, and therefore they are two separate aspects. Greek men didn't believe that they had innate feminine aspects they needed to control, like some modern men seem to.
>the 5th labor makes it clear that too much greed is a bad thing
Doesn't discount all the other works that show the >He is an entirely different archetypical hero from Hercules.
Ancient Greeks thought differently.
>To fear death is to flee from glory in the interest of safety
>we accept the fact that we will die some day that we learn to face it with dignity
Again you're conflating the present with the Ancient Greek mindset in order. There is no "we," modern masculinity and Ancient Greek masculinity is completely different. Sure, the Greeks believed that was glory in dying an honorable death, but death was always something that should be avoided if possible, Achilles regretting his decision to die young and win eternal glory is pretty much the ultimate proof of it. They just didn't, in mythology at least, see death as something you should welcome and consign yourself to like a Christian martyr.

Also there's a flaw in considering the Labors to be actual parables instead of entertainment, part of Greek history or a reflection of the value system with clearly doesn't hold all the values you believe it does. It's dogmatic and assuming that the tradition sprang up for the expressed purpose of educating people in how to be men is just an assumption of authorial intent.

is technically correct.
is reading into it. But this is the beauty of mythology, that is a never-renewed source of inspiration.

I wish christards would get that about the bible instead of insisting on the literal interpretation and essentially being de facto retards.

Edit:
that it is a ever-renewed/never-ending* source

I like the one where zeus cosplays as traveller and gets treated badly. He gets buttshurt and kills everyone except old couple who treats him well.

I like the one that Zeus disguises as human and cucks a normal guy with his wife, and when the guy tries to do something about it, Hermes beats the living shit out of him, and the moral of the story is that lol it's his fault for not realizing it was Zeus all along (even though he couldn't possibly have guessed it), and he should be content that his wife will give birth to a demigod (which would be Hercules).

I also like the one where Dionysus arrives in town disguised as a human, and drives the women insane and makes them kill their own husbands, sons and cattle because they didn't worship him.

orpheus and eurydice
ovid's metamorphoses if you haven't already.

>Yes, and therefore they are two separate aspects.
Nonsense, the whole point of the story about human beings being separated beings was that one was incomplete without the other, that femininity and masculinity are complementary forces, not opposing forces.
> Greek men didn't believe that they had innate feminine aspects they needed to control.
They may not have called it "feminine" but they sure as shit knew that sneaky, manipulative behavior is something that anyone can perform, and behavior that can be self-destructive to an individual
>Doesn't discount all the other works that show
Which themselves don't disprove the lesson of the 5th labor. Stoicism got its start in Ancient Greece, they knew very well that the extremes of human behavior were something which could be harmful, even unbridled greed
>Ancient Greeks thought differently.
Ancient Greeks had separate Hero shrines for both Achilles and Hercules, they venerated these characters for different reasons.
> but death was always something that should be avoided if possible
nonsense, the Greek mentality was that anyone who tries to avoid their fate is blaspheming against the gods and deserves punishment. The whole story of Oedipus is that the harder a man struggles against his own fate, the more likely that he makes it happen.
>Achilles regretting his decision to die young and win eternal glory
But that's precisely what makes Achilles such a timeless archetype: he realizes the hollowness of chasing glory over peace. It's a different allegory
>see death as something you should welcome and consign yourself to like a Christian martyr.
Not even the point that I was making. You can be a warrior marching bravely onto the battlefield prepared to die in defense of the things you feel are worth fighting for.
>actual parables instead of entertainment,
All art is propaganda. If it doesn't teach us lessons about who we are, then it becomes disposable, forgettable doggerel which time forgets.

The story of Perseus.
Second best (to me) is the tale of what Nemesis did to Narcissus...

Pueblo Indian Folk Stories by Charles Lummis is a good book if you're interested in Southwestern Native American mythology. It was written before that area (now New Mexico) was a state. It's public domain, here's the text:
sacred-texts.com/nam/sw/pifs/index.htm

I uh, haven't spent given much attention to myths...

"Pyramus and Thisbe" has always been my favourite romance myth.

This book is a good intro to Greek Mythology!