Knights

What are some notable battles where the presence of knights became a decisive factor in the outcome of the battle? Almost every other battle I've read either has knights being BTFO'd by either horse archers, archers, or pikemen which makes me wonder why Europe even bothered with them.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Dyrrhachium_(1081)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Roosebeke
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Patay
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Formigny
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bouvines
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cocherel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Arsuf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grunwald
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Prinitza
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Antioch_on_the_Meander
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saint-Omer
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Olivento
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Montemaggiore
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Neopatras
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_La_Brossinière
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Muret
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Olive_Grove_of_Kountouras
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Iconium_(1190)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cerami
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Meander
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Artah
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Yibneh
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sarmin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Montgisard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ascalon
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ramla_(1101)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ramla_(1105)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Azaz_(1125)
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lechfeld_(955)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>almost every other battle i've read
Those battles are notable because they're an exception to the rule that a heavy cavalry charge generally decides the fate of a battle. Most european battles end with a decisive charge from the knights.

Examples? I guess said battles werent really recorded as much. I guess there's the Battle of Patay, which is kinda like France's own Agincourt, where a vanguard force of French knights managed to rout an English longbow army.

>Most european battles end with a decisive charge from the knights
Lol maybe in your adolescent "Grand Strategy" xbox games but in real life, in real history, things on the battlefield would often go down totally how you would not expect them to happen. Knights could be taken down like a malnourished peasant with a tin can for a helmet in the right circumstances.

Looking for it now, but their were several battles between HRE coalitions and the Ottomans where the end of the battle was “heavy cavalry sweep in and slaughter the infantry through a massive charge”.

Battle of Vienna is the only one I can think of right now, but there were a few more. Also the knights occasionally caught English archers unprepared and cut them down in the open field.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Dyrrhachium_(1081)

Recorded by both byzantines and Normans as overpowered

That was more of late ottoman armies and ofticer being generally incompetent and low quality at their stagnation phase. Early ottoman armies would entrench their infantry in square formation and palisades, supported by musket and artillery fire to counter european heavy cavalry. Example of these were battle of varna where the Polish king charged a body of ottoman infantry and lost his life, also crusade of nicopolis were like that too with french knight charging the ottomans

>the square formation disappeared for that long
Wow

They were very, very powerful when utilized effectively. It's part of the reason their defeats were notable. Unfortunately people focus too much on that and get the wrong idea.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Roosebeke
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Patay
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Formigny
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bouvines
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cocherel

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grunwald

> Almost every other battle I've read either has knights being BTFO'd by either horse archers, archers, or pikemen which makes me wonder why Europe even bothered with them.

That is because your knowledge of history is limited to shallow documentaries and sensationalist shit.

Knights BTFO'd armies a fuckload of times, there is a reason they remained on their high horse for centuries;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Prinitza

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Antioch_on_the_Meander

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saint-Omer

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Olivento

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Montemaggiore

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Neopatras

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_La_Brossinière

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Muret

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Olive_Grove_of_Kountouras

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Iconium_(1190)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cerami

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Meander

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Artah

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Yibneh

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sarmin

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Montgisard

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ascalon

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ramla_(1101)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ramla_(1105)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Azaz_(1125)

I could go on and on...

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Azaz_(1125)

Why is every king named Baldwin such a fucking badass?

The first crusade showed plenty of examples of outnumbered knights blowing the fuck out of turks and arabs

what about
??

Its almost as if knights got reputation they had because they usually were the decisive factor.

The fact much of the 13th through 15th century was spent figuring out how to counter knights is testament to their prowess.

French gendarmes defeated multiple pike regiments, even riding through some with minimal casualties

Check out this pseud

Yeah, like the turnover into pike formations by itself was little else but a way to counter the knights.

In the end, it was mass usage of firearms that delivered the final blow, as 16th century muskets were far more powerful than 15th century arquebuses and could pierce most plate at reasonable range.

Here's an example from my favorite historical badass Otto the Great en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lechfeld_(955)

>d
yas ssw ss

Impressive Chaddism.

please do
go on and on and on...

and again, and again, and again...

>Battle of Patay

>the right circumstances
>on a fucking battlefield
>peasants fought alongside knights

Wew lad

> Almost every other battle I've read either has knights being BTFO'd by either horse archers, archers, or pikemen which makes me wonder why Europe even bothered with them.
is this bait?

its like this OP never read about the mass german peasents getting BTFO by like 100 knights outnumbered 100 to 1